It’s officially one month to go before Empire 1 this year, so what are you working on and hoping to get done before the event? Show us some preview pictures if you’ve got them .
I have dyed my shirt, need to make fancy pants, and a new hat.
Mine is a bit of a cheeky one, my mum has offered to make me a tunic or two if I sorted her out a pattern for it . So I’ll be popping over to the family seat in a week or two for a fitting.
Should hopefully go quite nicely with my new sash
I have finished the under layer of dangly bits for my mage armour and need to make a warm tunic cos E1. Also covered 1 welly with leather scraps.
I decided today, like an idiot, that I need a new outfit for the next game. I have some fabric I absolutely love that’s been sat there for a while. I’m doing some big scary IC things so I want to look and feel my best and look a bit formal in a kind of ‘this is Eska’s equivalent of a business suit for a conference’ way.
Keyhole neck tunic dress out of heavy weight white cotton (old curtains)
Sleeveless robe/overcoat of very heavy heather-grey cotton (discount upholstery fabric)
The plan is to decorate this over-robe with virtuous birds and appropriate runes.
I’m also painting coats as commission for Veli in my hall and Iron Osric, so it’s all go!
Coooool, come back and post some pictures once you’ve got something to show off .
Repairs! I spent a chunk of the winter sewing, completely forgetting that the latex on my spear got torn at a player event. Now I only have a few weeks to repaint, latex and isoflex the thing or I might be stuck trying to kill barbarians with harsh language come E1.
Im furiously repairing my leather armour that was pretty destroyed by the Over the Edge sanctioned event - living in your old armour for 24 hours in the pouring rain didnt do it any favours.
Then its repairing my orc kit, a new sash, and finishing an IC philosophy.
3d printed/pewter cast Marcher/religious things. I’ve got a pile of wood-composite filament so I can make prints you can stain and varnish. I’ve also been practicing how to take a mould of a 3D print in heat resistant silicone, cast pewter into it, then chemically tarnish the pewter to give it an aged look. As a test run, I produced a bunch of pendants for use in a different LARP. Also been doing sand casting for one offs.
30 days (cries internally)
I currently have two large projects on the go, firstly my helmet, which is about 50% done
Oooh looking very promising, I look forward to seeing what they look like when they’re done . What’s the helmet made of btw?
Steel and Brass
trying to get a tent for IC. maybe not the most exciting but it would be nice to have.
Finally making hardback songbooks for sale having finally finished the content after two years of procrastination. Because I’m clever and organised like that.
I have a beautiful box that I need to repair as a gift for someone. I also need to sort out a couple of IC letters.
I’m making a blanket for a Navarri baby. It’s a seven spoked wheel pattern, of course, and any knitters on this thread will sympathise with me for having had to do maths to make it happen as nobody makes any patterns that come in sevens of anything
I have literally just put the finishing touches on the new AAG signboard.
Most of what I am working on are small and look a little wonky as I work on a shoestring budget most of the time. However, my partner keeps reminding me that it’s still awesome that I’m trying to make things and learning new skills and that makes me happy. Seriously, I don’t think I’d do half as much LARP prep without her encouragement.
Currently I’m finishing off turning an old leather coat into an apron. I’ve earned the nickname of Chapter Mother within our group and I’m deciding to embrace it.
Also, many people in my chapter have or are getting awesome staffs to complement our ritualistic nature. They all look amazing but are way out of my price range, so I bought a £7.99 broom from Tesco and gave it a few coats white acrylic paint. Then I bought some black and slightly sparkly ‘pleather’-like material from Hobbycraft, cut it into strips and criss-crossed it around the broom. I then painted (well actually my partner painted, she has a steadier hand than I) a couple of coats of white paint in the diamond-shaped gaps left by the ‘pleather’ and wrapped some off-cuts of my old leather coat around the top of the broom for a handle. The next job is to paint on some appropriate runes. More of a walking stick than a staff, but it’s a start. I’ve included a picture to try and make sense.
Ah, and I have also bought a large length of chain from B&Q and am working on turning it into a wrap/chunky bracelet to represent the strong feelings of loyalty to my chapter, and attaching all the trinkets and charms I had previously worn around my neck (because they kept smacking me in the face). The challenge I have right now is figuring out how to keep it on my wrist and prevent the wrapped chain from loosening and falling off. TJust trial and error to figure that out now. From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success, and all that jazz!
Oh, and our chapter bought our first large tent together so last weekend we had a test at putting it up. Now we’re just banging our heads together to work out set dressing.
I look forward to seeing these on the field!