A general bigging up

I have to say, as much as I loved Maelstrom, I have a lot of general LARP anxiety, so was really wary about getting ensconced in another system.

I couldn’t have made a better choice as my first nation. The Varushkan players are dedicated, creative, friendly… and I would happily say the best starting point for someone who wants to be in a reassuring, nurturing environment… that still has it’s fair share (it’s not fair, we have all the monsters) of plot and intrigue and mystery. Also, I honestly think it’s the best place for children to be.

The team who wrote Varushka knocked it out the park!

Tell me why you love Varushka! (Mainly so I can use this to coax everyone I know into our amazing nation)

Why do I love Varushka?

The friendly people.
The hearth magic and traditions.
The sovereigns (if we still have any left).
The warm clothing.
The aesthetic.
Smart savvy kids.

It’s just an awesome place to be; we’ve been very lucky with the groups within the nation.

I love Varushka because of the sense of community, the friendly people, the amazing kids, and the terror that appears to be common in everyone’s backstories. We hit the field hard with our culture and are still running strong with it. There’s no better place to get started as a new player in Empire, in my opinion.

I too have horrendous LRP anxiety, and am so happy that I chose Varushka because right from the first event it’s been such a friendly, welcoming place to be.

So, reasons why Varushka is awesome:

The setting. It’s just beautiful. Rich, dark and mysterious, full of superstition and mysticism that it’s easy to bring into the game with you. Against that backdrop, Varushkan’s are presented as steadfast, determined people who aren’t afraid to make hard choices in order to do what’s best for them and theirs.

In the field, I’ve found that everyone has really taken the setting to heart, pulling out the bits that speak to them and making it a focus in the field. The sense of community, the wardings, the gatherings around fires, the telling of tales, the charms, the use of hearth magic in every instance it’s possible. Amazing.

The council of the wise, feeling like it’s a real force to be reckoned with and a real opportunity to throw ideas around and come up with plans/validate other peoples.

The other players - it was a pleasant surprise to find so many old friends from 'Strom in the same nation as me and it’s been fantastic getting to know even more tremendous people. Everyone I’ve interacted with (which I think has been most people because of that awesome community feel) has had an interesting story to tell, a very real feeling character to role play with.

The organisation. It’s always pretty damn hard to get lots of people together and actually do things at a big event. We’re not perfect yet, but so far Varushka has managed this with more regularity than any other large group of people in any system I’ve played.

Senatorial elections working exactly how they are meant to, and feeling like it really works for us. Plus the ability to be really smug at people from other nations when talking about senators, and they realise that our system is just better. :slight_smile:

I haven’t been on any of the skirmishes/battles so not much to say about the fighty side of things, except that I love how impressive everyone looks when marching off to war. I love how people do get together to see them off, to enact little fare well rituals. I really love how every death matters, every fallen hero is remembered. With a drink raised, a story told and a determination that no death will ever be in vain.

So yeah, basically. Varushka is awesome and whilst I have ideas for other nations, I can’t see me being tempted away any time soon.

I like Varushka, I like the setting and the look and feel of the nation (and the accent)

I like it’s clear national identity.

I like its harsh uncompromising attitude, I like how its people will not bow nor break.

I like the warmth of the community, the ties to friends and family and it’s ability to stand tall and sneer in the face of danger.

We are not the largest nation, we are not the loudest… but when we roar we are mighty :wink:

For me, Varushka just seems to be the most “with it” nation. We look the coolest ( i may be biased) We always seem to pull together when needed, we like to sing together, eat together, drink together, fight together and mourn together!
It is such an old fashioned sense of community. I love it!!!

I didn’t get much time with Varushka this event, which is a shame. At E3 I had been chatting with a few herbalists after all of the problems with poisoning at E2 and the problems with the Hospital publications at E3; but what I love is how easily people fall into silly accents and welcoming pride~

Dispensing alcohol at people helps too~

Varushka is the nation where you can legitimately wear a pointy hat, what more do you want? :wink:

Oh and I suppose the family feeling, dark fairytales and mysticism. But mainly the pointy hat.

[quote=“Kazimir”]Varushka is the nation where you can legitimately wear a pointy hat, what more do you want? :wink:

Oh and I suppose the family feeling, dark fairytales and mysticism. But mainly the pointy hat.[/quote]

Why do I want to quote Girl Genius now?
“Remember vot ve said?”“Any plan vere ve lose our hat is a bad plan”

[quote=“ababyyou”]

[quote=“Kazimir”]Varushka is the nation where you can legitimately wear a pointy hat, what more do you want? :wink:

Oh and I suppose the family feeling, dark fairytales and mysticism. But mainly the pointy hat.[/quote]

Why do I want to quote Girl Genius now?
“Remember vot ve said?”“Any plan vere ve lose our hat is a bad plan”[/quote]

Wise words, we should all heed them!

I love a lot of things about the nation, but I’ll give special mention to:

a) Unrelenting sense of horror in the setting.
b) The massive amounts of tasty food everyone shares around.

It means that one can be upset about the various ongoing or expected supernatural threats, but do so whilst eating cheese and anchovies, a bowl of hot stew, or a delicious piece of cake.

There is just so much to play with and it’s just so much fun to play with it. Love being Varushkan, a big family with all the inherent problems and all the wonderful advantages.

I love the costume to pieces, and the armour guidelines.
I like being in a nation where I can go and talk to almost any other group, and that various people actually remember my character’s name (I know that sounds a bit daft, but being remembered is very cool) and that there’s always a party of some kind or a fire that I’m invited to.
Everyone I’ve met has made the setting feel very real and made just interacting with the nation very cool.

All right, I’ll post the positives and negatives of the nation, break 'em down for easy reading.

• I get the spend the weekend talking in my faux Russian accent.
  • I get to sperge out and drink vodka and/or mead
  • The dress sense is awesome, and is the most verstile in terms of hot or cold weather protection!
  • The community is wicked!
  • Warm fur lined pointy hat!
  • The fighting community is close, and tight knit, but in no way impenetritable.
  • The generosity to new players in both advice and goods is remarkable!
  • We’re all in the same family, or so the community feels like.
  • Too many people who’s name begins with the letter V.