A Question About Heal

[quote]Cost: 1 Mana
This spell completely restores all lost hits. It does not affect a limb that has been affected by a CLEAVE or IMPALE call.[/quote]

Now I may have been interpreting this spell wrong for months, but does that mean it can get someone who is currently on their death count back up? I always, from the text, assumed that it was just up from anything but bleeding out.

Death Count = Bleeding out.

If you are Bleeding Out, and get healed, you are not Bleeding Out.

If you have have hit your Bleed Out time (3 minutes normally), you are terminal, you cannot come back.

“Stay With Me” specifically mentions that it can only be used on someone with at least 1 Hit Point left; Heal has the same sense to it as Elixir Vitae, which can be fed to Dying characters. Pretty sure those would both mention if the target needed to have hits for them to work. Absent those solutions you’re relying on Chirurgery or Phuysic to get people up and there’d be a lot more dead people if it took that long…

You can cast the heal spell on any character. Assuming they aren’t terminal, they will have all of their lost hits restored at the completion of the spell, which will take them from 0 to full, if they were bleeding at the time.

The only forms of target-limited healing are Stay With Me and Get it Together. You can only use Stay With Me on someone who is on 0 hits, and it will give them 1 hit. You can only use Get it Together on someone who has at least 1 hit, so is walking around, and it will give them 3 hits (up to their normal maximum).

[quote=“Levitia”]

[quote]Cost: 1 Mana
This spell completely restores all lost hits. It does not affect a limb that has been affected by a CLEAVE or IMPALE call.[/quote]

Now I may have been interpreting this spell wrong for months, but does that mean it can get someone who is currently on their death count back up? I always, from the text, assumed that it was just up from anything but bleeding out.[/quote]

Heal will work on anyone who isn’t Terminal, but only restores hit point loss. Think of it as magic duct tape. (Magic healing is better than hero point healing at getting people back into the fight: it pays for this by being unusable in non-mage armour.)

I think you’ve all cleared up that confusion for me very nicely - thank you all so kindly for the fast responses and saving me wasting a skill point that I didn’t need to spend! =)

Remember that Heal also takes ten whole seconds in which neither of you can be hit or attack, or use any other skills (or the spell fails and you waste that mana, barring certain items) - hero point healing has speed going for it.

And also the target is bleeding. If someone has 5s until terminal, Heal won’t save them.

That’s the big advantage of Chirurgeon, incidentally - it’s slow, but bleeding is paused while they’re being treated.

Since there are lots of forms of healing in Empire my rule of thumb is Anything that restores lost hits works if you’re dying unless it states otherwise

The other big one is that crippled limbs from CLEAVE/IMPALE always remain that way until specifically cured. (Cleaved legs can be a lot more deadly than losing all your hits)

Here’s a list of some of the more common healing stuffs:

**Only work if on 0 hits (and hence dying): ** Churgeon, Stay with me, Unstoppable (on yourself only).
I think they all only restore a single hit

**Only Works if you have at least 1 hit (so not dying): **Get it together (only 3 hits), Second Wind (only 3 hits, on yourself only). 5 minutes of being tended to by Physick and 10 minutes of rest, 2 hours rest

**Works regardless if you’re dying or not: ** Heal, Swift Heal, all potions that restore hits (Elixir Vitae, The Sovereign Specific), The Hands of Sacred Life ritual.

Using the True Vervain herb with the Physick skill restores all hits but takes 30 seconds if they’re dying (combines with Churgeon) or 10 seconds if they’re not.
(Having the physick skill allows you to apply the benefit of a single herb whilst you spend 30 seconds using the Churgeon skill on someone who’s dying)

Restores crippled limb from CLEAVE/IMPALE: Physick (2 minutes), Restore Limb spell, Physick using Cerulean Mazzarine herb (10 seconds). Ossean Balm and The Sovereign Specific potions. Blood of the Hydra Ritual.

Curing VENOM: Purify spell, Physick using the Imperial Roseweald herb (10 seconds), Bloodharrow Philtre, Maledict’s Medicament and The Sovereign Specific potions, Ascetic Star of Atun Ritual

Curing WEAKNESS: Purify spell, Physick using Bladeroot herb (10 Seconds), Feverfail Elixir, Maledict’s Medicament and The Sovereign Specific potions, Renewed Strength of the New Day ritual.

[quote=“tea”]And also the target is bleeding. If someone has 5s until terminal, Heal won’t save them.

That’s the big advantage of Chirurgeon, incidentally - it’s slow, but bleeding is paused while they’re being treated.[/quote]

Are you sure on that last part? It’s not mentioned at all in the rules, and I was always told otherwise (I was hero pointed up once, with less than half a minute to go, and joked that I was lucky it wasn’t a physik who had got to me first, cos that would have killed me :wink: )

Aside from Tea’s reff Fu’ness.

It’s in the Combat rules… but not under Churgeon which isn’t entirely helpful.
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … mbat#Dying

Also notably Hearthfire Circle cures you of all maladies provided you are contributing to the ritual. Which generally means on one or more hits and not under WEAKNESS

(I’m assuming that you don’t need to actually be contributing mana to the ritual, only a spring mage who’s in the coven and present?)

“Contributor” basically means “you possess at least one rank in the relevant lore and are part of the relevant coven” in all cases it’s used. If you are adding to the coven’s total of potential magnitude, you are contributing to the ritual.

This is also how you get in on S&P visions etc.

Edit: See profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ntributors

Tea has it

[quote=“Illithidbix”]Aside from Tea’s reff Fu’ness.

It’s in the Combat rules… but not under Churgeon which isn’t

[quote]http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Combat#Dying
While being treated with the chirurgeon skill, your ‘death count’ is paused, you are still dying, and subject to all the other rules associated with the state. If the chirurgeon does not complete at least 30 seconds of roleplay to restore you to one hit, then your ‘death count’ will resume with the same time remaining.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, that’s why I missed it. Cheers for that :slight_smile:

Yeah, there’s a reason I have been muttering “OC: Your bleeding is paused while I treat you” to people Pete Chirurgeons. There’s a couple of cases where PCs were 10 seconds form death or so and this was important.