Appropriate Roleplaying

Appropriate Roleplaying! How do you yours?

I use both heroic skills and religious skills, for each I do something different. In regards to Cleave I tend to take a bigger swing or shout before swinging - as he’s not very talking in the middle of a fight. For Unstoppable I tend to say something as I stagger to my feet (e.g. in a duel I simply said something like “we’re not done yet”). For Religious stuff I tend to use bird feathers along with alliterative verse for the 10 second RP (before I just winged the verse, but I’ve got a couple of things prepared now).

I have a few pet phrases (I talk about the light/spark/fire of Courage a lot) and try to tie it in with the reason for the recipient’s wish for the religious ceremony.

For ‘Stay With Me’ and ‘Get It Together’ it’s actually very similar, I just make sure I use those actual phrases so that people know that, while I’m talking Courage as a way of achieving it, it’s a Hero Point skill rather than a religious one.

For being a Navarr Spring Vate, I shout at the magic to tell it what to do (usually something about making things be in the right place in the Great Dance), stomp around in trod-patterns (or just circles), and smear blood everywhere (runes if I can remember appropriate ones). Generally people are in no doubt that they have been ritualled at.

I tend to shout about my ‘Vigilant Watch’ when I’m getting my priest on, sometimes go on a bit about The Sentinel. My insights tend to be a little calmer than my exorcisms, but I do seem to be of the school of thought that the easiest way to affect the soul is to shout really loudly and ring a bell.

Most of what I do revolves around skeins - symbolically weaving / unweaving / reweaving them for priestly stuff, shouting a lot about how they’re strong and good and not in danger of being cut any time soon while I’m healing.

For casting,

AS I HAVE ORDERED THE EARTH SO LET THE HEAVENS BE ORDERED
AS I HAVE ORDERED THE HEAVENS SO LET THE EARTH ORDERED BE

Wrapped in some business about the constellation I’m invoking.

For combat spell casting I literally shout the first magic related thing on my mind.

For physical skill usage, it’s usually an obvious breathing exercise / ki shout type thing, usually accompanied by a Significant Hand Gesture.

[quote=“Iulian”]
For physical skill usage, it’s usually an obvious breathing exercise / ki shout type thing, usually accompanied by a Significant Hand Gesture.[/quote]

Where my brain went:

Barbarian Orc 1: “Did that Imperial just give the Chief the finger before cutting her leg off?”

Barbarian Orc 2: “Yes. Yes he did”.

[quote=“Pedant”]

[quote=“Iulian”]
For physical skill usage, it’s usually an obvious breathing exercise / ki shout type thing, usually accompanied by a Significant Hand Gesture.[/quote]

Where my brain went:

Barbarian Orc 1: “Did that Imperial just give the Chief the finger before cutting her leg off?”

Barbarian Orc 2: “Yes. Yes he did”.[/quote]

Sounds appropriate.

For priest skills I generally go for appropriate liao on my face (from a bottle of sugar-free Ribena in a pouch, with some water as well if I’ve not run out by then) plus some indicative mumbling about what the point of the rite is. Unless it’s Insight, which is usually just hand gestures and Ribena and slightly unnerving silence.

Various characters

Rituals:
Right, i need to go for 2 minutes, what can me and my team reliably do for 2 minutes? Dirty jokes about parsnips, pun-storms and finishing up with an invocation of a couple runes. Thus was Upwold Style Ritualling born.
My new character is going to use a horrendous mashup of quarterstaff routine, tai chi style and behaving like there’s a live bomb in the middle of the regio.

Spells:
Open Portal: I am an angry marcher who has been locked out of his own house by some prick. 10 sec of OPEN UP OR BY THUNDER I’LL KICK YOUR BLUDDY DOOR IN. for Leaguer, 10s of going over how I would take on the persona of the Witch.
Offensive spells: Yell a vaguely appropriate rune or constellation. Hit target. If I ever got Repel it would be GET! OFF! MY! LAAAAND! repel

Ceremonies
I had a little sealing wax and certificate kit, and handed out personalised prescriptions with the Anointing effects on to my targets.

Physick
My Empire physick was a bit dull and just did pseudo-surgery.
My Odyssey healer did his healing by waving incense over people, screaming about BLOOD OF THE NATION at them and attempting to terrify them enough they didn’t get hurt next time. This can work for you too!

I was a storyteller, and now a troubadour, so when I use my priest skills, I am all about stories, so what I say, though made up in the moment, will be framed by that concept. As a priest of Pride, the ceremonies I perform are generally about bigging someone up, a pep talk, and are conversational, I use what I know of them, and try to find out more.

I take the idea of gradual improvement to include my knowledge of the system, my knowledge of the world, and the roleplay of being the character and using my skills, so I am always developing and adding bits.