Armour Locations

Hello,

I was looking into some armour, my plan was to get torso armour, greaves and bracers, however, if i wear a bracer on my shield arm it will either not fit, or damage it. Would it be acceptable to only wear the wrist armour on my sword arm and still get the extra hit points?

many thanks

[quote=“EuanRead”]Hello,

I was looking into some armour, my plan was to get torso armour, greaves and bracers, however, if i wear a bracer on my shield arm it will either not fit, or damage it. Would it be acceptable to only wear the wrist armour on my sword arm and still get the extra hit points?

many thanks[/quote]

These questions are always a bit difficult to answer without seeing the actual armour.

The bit of the rules you need to satisfy is:

Specifically you will be looking at the last bit.

Use of the tern “bracer” and “wrist armour” does not lead me to envisage much coverage of the arms at all. I am tending to think your armour might not qualify anyway, and not of you leave a bit off.

I’m talking about armour that covers roughly from wrist to elbow, and leg armour that goes from ankle to knee, which i think would constitute half of your arms and half of your legs, the problem being I wouldn’t be able to use my shield. I am hoping to build up a set of armour piece by piece rather than in one purchase, aside from a helmet, a bracers/greaves combination seems like the easiest way to cover another location.

thanks

P.S the issue isn’t buying a pair of bracers, rather being able to take one off before battles, put my shield on and not lose my heavy armour benefits.

[quote=“EuanRead”]I’m talking about armour that covers roughly from wrist to elbow, and leg armour that goes from ankle to knee, which i think would constitute half of your arms and half of your legs, the problem being I wouldn’t be able to use my shield. I am hoping to build up a set of armour piece by piece rather than in one purchase, aside from a helmet, a bracers/greaves combination seems like the easiest way to cover another location.

thanks

P.S the issue isn’t buying a pair of bracers, rather being able to take one off before battles, put my shield on and not lose my heavy armour benefits.[/quote]

OK so your “bracers” sound like they are proper vambraces; terminology is a wonderful thing :smiley:

In which case, with the caveat about not seeing the kit, I reckon that it is likely that your armour would be OK for the heavy armour hits (with extra confidence in that if the greaves cover the knee). However, removing one vambraces would mean no extra hits as your armour coverage would not qualify IMO.

Get a helmet, heads count as a location.

Yeah that is one I did consider, my main issues were finding an affordable one that fits the highguard brief, Norman helms just don’t seem right

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

A Norman helmet could be perfect for some version of Highguard armour, although how it looks alongside the rest of your harness is an entirely separate question.

A norman helm would be an excellent Highguard strong hat. Aspirational directions from there could include adding a camail and adding feathers/wings.

Personally I’d reckon Norman helms are great for that crusader aesthetic.

Alternately, Darkblade has done an excellent line in helms, here’s mine:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/971177_10200631476643552_694515867_n.jpg

That one has an aluminium dome and leather additions, but he’s done them with steel domes as well before, so drop him a line and ask.

Another way to get round the problem is to buy a cheap mail shirt, and either use that instead of a cuirass (I tend to think mail looks better for Highguard anyway), or cut it off below the armpits and split it down the front and wear it as a shrug under your plate. It’ll then be fairly lightweight, fit well, and cover your arms from shoulder to elbow, which (plus your vambrace and greaves) will easily put you to heavy armour.

Another fairly cheap way of getting the coverage would be some cuisse for your upper legs. Stahlgilde have them for under thirty euros, but then international postage has to be factored in. I’m sure there are UK suppliers who can provide you with a simple pair for a good price.

Side-swiping the problem…

What would it take to make your shield grip compatible with your bracer? I’ve had similar problems before and there are definite advantages to having that metal bracer on your arm when you throw your shield aside dramatically.

Alternatively, if you can source a heavy-leather bracer that wont interfere with the shield you can claim the 3hp from Medium Armour, while keeping the Impale-resistance on your metal bits.

Now that’s quite a good idea, could pick up a simple leather one, I’ve got an eldritch strap and handle shield, at the moment my arm fits quite snugly, my main concern being I’m not sure if a steel bracer on top of padding would fit in the gap, a member of my group told me that his medium armour bracer fits surprisingly well, guess I’ll cross that bridge when i come to it :slight_smile: