Background

hi everyone, when making a character I wanted to go for something a little different with the background, can I play someone who was born as a barbarian orc but as a baby was found after a skirmish and raised in the empire, I’ve already emailed PD but haven’t received a response (yet) do any of you know off hand
thanks,

I’d say it’s probably a no based on the ruling in the wiki.

Ah, but he’s not a part of a barbarian nation… he’s an immigrant pre-citizenship…

So if you are playing an orc, found as a baby during a raid on barbarian lands (possibly during the pushing back of the Lasambrians in Seguara?), and then raised by the Imperial Orcs, joining them upon gaining citizenship…

…it doesn’t seem so different from those humans raised by the Imperial orcs and leaving to join other nations… or even the children of ex-Jotun Thralls in the Mournwold who grow up and join the Imperial Orcs…

The character is not, and never has been in any significant way, a member of a barbarian nation…

It’s an interesting possibility.

It’ll get you no shinies or information, and merely be an interesting piece of backstory fluff.

PD may well say yes to it.

Bear in mind though, that chance are your backstory will rapidly become a lot less relevant than what you do in play. Especially your backstory as an infant…

You are already choosing to go for something “a bit different” by playing an Imperial Orc. That is something that sets you apart from 95% of the field. There are loads of other players committed to making the Imperial Orcs “a bit different”, and I’d advise joining in that effort. By trying to distinguish your character even further you are actually diluting the distinctiveness of the Imperial Orcs.

2 Likes

I think the only large in game difference this would cause is a different set of Ancestors shouting at from across the abyss. There would have been little difference in your up bringing (too young to matter).
It could be used to highlight your costume in ways? a shock of colour here, maybe a totem there, maybe a carved wooden toy you were found with and have kept tied to your belt?