Battefield rituals

So quick questions. Casting a spell in battle such as shatter or paralyze requires battlemage, and thats fine.

I cant find any mention of rituals requiring that in battle, specifically the battle rituals. Would it then be possible for a heavy armour wearing mage whose a part of a coven to be part of a ritual spell casting if he has the apropriate skills to cast the ritual? Assuming one has a wand or a rod of course.

For something like the spring ritual to remove weakness to give an example.

So point by point.

So quick questions. Casting a spell in battle such as shatter or paralyze requires battlemage, and thats fine.

You do not need Battlemage to cast Spells in Battle. anyone who knows a spell can cast it at any time if they have Personal or Crystal Mana. Battle mage lets you use Mage armour and Staffs but that is all

I cant find any mention of rituals requiring that in battle, specifically the battle rituals.

Thats because Battle mage is not permission to cast in battle it is options for a battle focused wizard

.Would it then be possible for a heavy armour wearing mage whose a part of a coven to be part of a ritual spell casting if he has the apropriate skills to cast the ritual?

No but that is because ritual casting, or in fact spells as well, do not work while wearing any armour other than mage armour. You can certainly be a ritualist cast your rituals, then put your armour on and go off and fight with a sword.

Assuming one has a wand or a rod of course.

You do not need a Rod or a Wand to cast a ritual only for delivering combat spells, all other rituals or spells can be cast without.

2 Likes

Would it then be feasible to “disrobe” in battle, cast a ritual and then reapply metal to myself? ^^

Found it under spell casting so it is on the wiki just obscured:wink:

Could you then cast a ritual just before entering the gates on a mage from the circle to have an use of mass weakness for example, then don your armour when the ritual is finished and have that mage be able to use the ritual when the battle begins?

Would it then be feasible to “disrobe” in battle, cast a ritual and then reapply metal to myself?

Yes, I know of several ritualists who had specific ‘fast release’ and ‘fast don’ catches to their armour.

Could you then cast a ritual just before entering the gates on a mage from the circle to have an use of mass weakness for example, then don your armour when the ritual is finished and have that mage be able to use the ritual when the battle begins?

You can certainly cast a rituals then don armour and go and fight. A bunch of Urizeni Ritualist fight that way.

For deploying the Mass effects, firstly for an actual ruling contact PD, Secondly I believe that the ruling in the past has been that deploying the Mass effect counts as ‘using mana’ which can not be done in non-mage armour.

3 Likes

No, the person with the empowered implement would have to be capable of casting spells. The rest of the coven could be armoured up or not present but at the time the mass call is delivered they can’t be wearing armour.

For Mass entangle we pre cast it on the day of the battle before the gate is opened, and it is then delivered by a pre-chosen member of the coven who is not in armour / only wearing mage armour once on the battlefield. Most of my coven does not go to battle, so actually finding someone who can ‘carry’ the magic is sometimes the biggest problem!

3 Likes

I seem to remember you dont gain the hits if you out armour on mid battle, so theyll need healing. This is to stop people just bringing like 4 sets of mail onto the field :smiley:

Best thing to do is cast the ritual mid battle, like a proper maniac :wink:

So it’s a little more nuanced than that:

If you have lost any Hits, removing armour reduces you to 1 Hit at which point you will still be at one hit when you armour up. (Which means that there is never any advantage to swapping armour)

If you are on full health when unarmoured, you do gain the extra hits from putting on armour without the need to heal the suit of armour.

2 Likes