Bonds and Death

If you die, are items no longer bonded to you?
In other words, do item bonds still need to be removed before those items can be bound to someone else?

Bonds do not break on death, so yes, the bonds need to be removed before being bonded to someone else.

Cheers!

How about on the destruction of the item?

By what method are you destroying the item? In the event that the item is actually destroyed, the bond breaks. This includes the item expiring but does not include the item being sent to an eternal.

All this is useful for history-focused characters - loot a magic item from a tomb and you may be able to find whose tomb it is.

Possibly a way of finding out if the Thrice Cursed Court do destroy their tribute and how long they wait before doing so.

Say if a weapon item was SHATTERed?

[quote=“raggedhalo”]

Say if a weapon item was SHATTERed?[/quote]

This can always be MENDed, so I wouldn’t expect so.

I note in particular the existence of items which can be repaired by their bonded user when shattered. That implies to me that a shattered item still exists and is still bonded, as otherwise they couldn’t be used.

The ritual Words of Ending, on the other hand, irrevocably destroys a magic item.

Indeed, possibly by asking the horrific unliving abomination that has its hands locked round your throat after tracking you unerringly across 300 miles

I’m not a ref, so this is only 78% official, but SHATTER specifically does not destroy a magic item. It renders it unusable until it is repaired. I’m just going to find the reference now.

(EDIT) Ah Here we go:

• Any weapon, implement or shield struck is broken and useless
  • Shattered items can be repaired with the mend spell

I’m also 78% certain that smacking the item repeatedly with a hammer or trying to set fire to it probably doesn’t do anything to the magic of the item on any permanent level but again, not an official ref ruling.

You want the One Ring gone, Words of Ending is your hammer and your giant firey mountain in one.

For SCIENCE!

I am absolutely certain that nothing can possibly go wrong when giving an item that is bonded to a hero of the Empire to a bunch of extremely nice people like the Thrice Cursed.

[quote=“Andy Raff”]

Indeed, possibly by asking the horrific unliving abomination that has its hands locked round your throat after tracking you unerringly across 300 miles[/quote]

Sounds like fun to me.

Shattered items are broken, not destroyed. Any bonds are still in place, the item and it’s powers merely cannot be used for any purpose until it is repaired (Exception: If it’s ability is to fix itself while broken, this can be used.)