Briar skin Masks

Ok more of a IC Law question, this arose from a discussion on the Navarr FB page.

Basically what’s the Empire stance on people wearing Briar skin armour, or masks?

With regard to masks, you can’t have anything that would seem as a lineage anyway

I don’t think the IC laws differentiate between Lineages when it comes to wearing human skin.

It’s just a piece of wood, but on the other hand it’s just a piece of wood in the same way as tanned human skin is just a piece of leather. Notably, Briar skin isn’t armour when it’s on the briar, so I can’t see why it’d be decent armour if it was disconnected and dried.

Provided the person whose skin it was wasn’t an Imperial citizen who was provably killed by you, you’re probably fine. Desecration of a corpse may be sick, but it’s not a crime.

That said, if you do this and then one day you’re ambushed by a butterfly that turns into a giant f**koff murder machine or accidentally fall down a flight of poisoned stairs, your grieving relatives may not get much shrift from the Conclave. :sunglasses:

That said, if you want help making briar skin FOR SOME REASON, I’m quite happy to give some pointers ^^

OC, yeah - you’re not allowed to have something that looks like something else’s physrep, so it would need to look very obviously removable, and striking a balance between making something that looks IC removable and something that looks like an attempt at briar physrepping that went a bit wrong OC might be hard.

Note also that the way the legal system works means that you’re vastly increasing your chances of being convicted of murder should a briar die; it’s not “beyond reasonable doubt,” it’s “the magistrate thinks you probably done it” and “of course they’d do it, they wear bits of mutilated briars” is I believe admissable evidence…

Do remember also that a lot of characters’ reaction would be “what the six hells on a spike is wrong with you you are wearing people.

I can see how you could squidge it to fit with the brief for “isolated” Navarr, skulls on spikes, psychological warfare. “Skins of your enemies” as part of that. Though most enemies the Empire meet at the moment are liable to be orcs, and probably wouldn’t care that you were wearing briar skin armour.

It’s not illegal. But it would be a very weird thing to do. Even the isolated Navarr would probably be aware that wearing the skins of your enemies isn’t something a normal citizen does in polite society. And, to quote the Navarr brief “actions have consequences”. It would almost certainly negatively impact your game, because exclusion isn’t fun, and nobody wants to include the freak wearing human skins.

From an OC perspective, you would have to make it very clearly not an attempt at lineage gone wrong. Wooden effect on leather armour would probably be ok? (Email PD for a genuine rules call, etc.) But as a face mask it would very easily fall into “http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Playing_the_game#Disguises” “You may disguise your character, but must actively avoid any make-up or prosthetics that could conceivably be confused with the phys-rep requirements of another lineage of species.”

Just as a legal clarification, based on my understanding of the way things work, if someone cursed you with magic in a way that killed you directly, that would be a matter for the magistrates, not the conclave.

If someone cursed you with magic to feel as if you are being flayed alive for a season - to pick an example completely at random - that would be a matter for the conclave.

Hope this helps!

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

btw this is not me, but more of a question raised by things seen in game

I note turning someone’s body into masks/implements/weapons/covenstones/masks/useful things is a sign of respect in Empire due to the orcish practise of doing this to make ancestors more likely to aid you and the Way condoning placing the bones of Exemplar’s into Reliquires and so forth.

[quote=“tristan”]Just as a legal clarification, based on my understanding of the way things work, if someone cursed you with magic in a way that killed you directly, that would be a matter for the magistrates, not the conclave.

If someone cursed you with magic to feel as if you are being flayed alive for a season - to pick an example completely at random - that would be a matter for the conclave.

Hope this helps![/quote]

Not quite sure how this fit’s the thread but anyway,
My reading of the law is that both instances could be a matter for the conclave, although declaring an executed corpse a sorcerer might be considered excessive.
More to the point the murderer might get a reduced sentence if he got a good priest in to plead his case. He might, for instance, have virtuously murdered the bloke who stole his poor dead sisters skin. [and that’s back on topic yes?]

Not at all! It gets the Conclave more resources. We should interdict dying.

don’t actually interdict dying this is a BAD PLAN

Hmm, I would find it kind of cool to be executed by the Conclave and be cursed such that my flayed skin retained my consciousness and sense of pain. Just to, y’know, serve as an example to others not to do whatever terrible thing I’d done.

They could use it as a tasteful wall hanging.

Kaela for Emperess!

BRB, fetching notepad and pen…

… do… whatever… terrible… thing… right. Now I just need three living things that were going to die anyway, 52 mana crystals and a knife sharpener. Mag 14, you think? 18? We’ll see soon enough.

On reflection, make that four: we need a control group.

Why is there no like button on this forum? Perhap because I’d have worn it out just reading this thread.

I feel inspired to race TimB to doing a sufficiently terrible thing to induce such a seriously fuckawesome fate.

I am so up for this!
So, what’s the worst thing you can do to the conclave? Propose to Wendigo and invite them all to the wedding do? :smiling_imp:

Do you have a mask? TimB has a mask, that’s how we’ll recognise his flayed skin.