Can I run a backstory/player driven plot by you guys?

Hi there!

So E4 is going to be my first Larp (fingers crossed) I have organised to come as my friend’s Bachelor event. (He’s an avid DM, roleplayer, and all round fantasy nut) We’ve wanted to get into LARP for the longest time, so this seemed the perfect way to start.

I thought I would run my plan for our characters ect here, so that I don’t make any faux pas or step on any toes. So my plan is to have a weekend themed around his character proving himself as worthy IC. This would be done through IC tests of strength, charisma, dexterity ect. (planning on keeping the themes close to what he would be familiar with). He could spend the weekend completing these quests as a way to drive his character and ease into the LARP scene!

As for character backstories, I was thinking that we would play a pair of Forest Knights who have travelled from a distant land to Anvil. (Naming them “the Blades of the Wood” or some such). They fight in pairs, and focus on training combat in a fluid, dance like style (think WoT sword forms) to honour the forest. Each pair are sworn in within a grove of trees, and their unit would be named for the trees found in that grove. His knights quest would be to prove himself, and mine would be acting as his confident, battle brother, and advisor. A big part of their tradition is song and story, so we would be trying to include a lot of roleplay to that extent too. I thought that given the Forest theme, tree motifs, and dance like combat training, Navarr might be the right nation to sign to. Does this BG break any conventions or rules?

As for his challenges, I was wondering how hard it would be to get other players help. It would be incredible to march him around the event, and request challenges from other characters, as part of his proving. Something Like: "My Lord, May I introduce sir who has travelled from a world away to prove himself. I have heard it said that the Dawnish of Anvil are second to none in tales of heroism. Are there any here who can provide a test of Skill for the good sir ?" I thought if I could get one challenge from each Nation it would be a really cool experience for him, and a great introduction to LARP for the both of us!

Any advice or help you could give would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to seeing you all in september!

It’s worth noting all player characters at Empire must come from one of the 10 nations. Coming from a ‘far off land’ wouldn’t be an acceptable background. See the wiki here (Can I play a foreigner?)

Playing Navarr sounds like a good idea, but the term ‘knights’ isn’t really within their lexicon. Have a read of the wiki about the Navarr people for some ideas of their names, titles, etc.

You could make the weekend about your friend swearing a vow, which is a very Navarr thing.

For asking people for tests; that part will work, as long as you are reasonable with your requests.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

So could we be a martial group from within Navarr then. We could flavour the knight thing as a “Groveblade” or something?

The Vow sounds great! Perhaps he could be on a quest to show the strength of Navarr to all of the other nations through these tests. And earn his place in the order (or Grove, or whatever the flavour we land on )

Do you think it would be a good idea to clue people in beforehand, or approach IC at the event?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

You certainly could. Most people would look at you and ask ‘What?’ though!

No need to clue people in in advance, just walk up to them (if they look approachable) and talk to them. Be prepared that some people might be busy or have their own agendas going on.

2 Likes

Haha, all the more chance to roleplay! I think He would enjoy delivering exposition at every opportunity.

Thats fair! Worst case I can deliver some challenges as his sword brother too!

Right. First of all, welcome to the forums, the game and indeed the hobby!

We will have many eager new folk joining in September (hopefully), and the more the merrier.

As noted, all (adult) characters at Empire are Imperial citizens. In Navarr the professional warriors are called Thorns: you could feasibly be a couple of Thorns on a quest to prove your eligability for, something…

The quests and tests, on the other hand, says Dawn to me. Dawn has set many a Test of Mettle, or indeed Ardour, that has had folk rampaging all over the place trying to prove their worthiness. Knight Errant of a House with a theme and martial style of tree names would also work :slight_smile:

Now if you want a bit of a challenge, here’s a suggestion.

Navarr Thorns (so if you want tree flavoured and named everything, go for it), courting someone from Dawn (some proud knight or war-witch, who can remain off-screen…).

This would give you plenty of reasons to go around trying to demonstrate something: your friend is doing the Great Deeds, you are witnessing and making up songs about it?

If you went for Navarr there, then I would reccomend the province of Miaren. It has the largest settled population of Navarri, and the closest thing to city-dwellers that the nation has.

I would also point out that while you could run trials of Str Dex Con Wis Cha and Int…

Larp has the problem that you can’t really get by on a stat check: you’ll have to portray it believably :slight_smile:

Charisma: can you tell a story and enchant an audience?
Constitution: Can you be energetic in that armour the whole battle?
…and so on.

Wisdom is also one of the in-game Virtues, and means something slightly different from what you’d expect. You may wish to check the wiki and have a think.

That said, if you wanted to demonstrate Virtues, that would get a lot of traction. Especially demonstrating Courage, Loyalty, and Pride.

Heck, asking folk what they think would be a good test to demonstrate these Virtues would be a test in and of itself… because everyone will have an opinion!

Happy to discuss this further :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I think he would be happy to do either Navarr or Dawn, tbh. I do like the idea of Being knights of a house with tree based culture. Which could lead to great interactions with the Navarr too! But I do think he would like the whole “full forest mode” too.

Now if you want a bit of a challenge, here’s a suggestion.

Navarr Thorns (so if you want tree flavoured and named everything, go for it), courting someone from Dawn (some proud knight or war-witch, who can remain off-screen…).

I love this! It also opens it up for his partner to come along in future!

Shouldnt be too far from his usual M.O, he does a lot of Roleplay in his games.
I think the Virtues are a much better Idea though! Same vibe, but way more suited to the world.

So maybe going off this: A navarr Soldier, who is trying to prove himself in the eyes of a Dawnish Noble.

Ok OK, I had a tought, and this could be so far off the rules that its laughable. But what if we pull a “knights tale?” We are two Navarr ,trying to make our way in Dawnish society. He is courting a Dawnish noble, and we have “created” a noble house so we can try to fit in and prove ourselves. So then we have all of the forest theme and the knight vibe too! Is that massively off the wall, or within the realms of possibility?

Thanks for the advice! :smiley:

That wouldn’t really work unfortunately. Due to the egregore bond you can only belong to one nation. Navarre who created a Dawnish house would need to swear to the Dawnish egregore, at which point they’d be Dawnish, not Navarr and they’d start liking Dawnish things, and disliking Navarr things.

That wouldn’t really work unfortunately. Due to the egregore bond you can only belong to one nation. Navarre who created a Dawnish house would need to swear to the Dawnish egregore, at which point they’d be Dawnish, not Navarr and they’d start liking Dawnish things, and disliking Navarr things.

So it would be possible to be Ex-Navarr in that situation? Maybe who were exiled from Navarr for whatever reason, and started a house in Dawn with the forest Heraldry and martial forms as a nod to where they came from?

Edit: As in, We hold no love for Navarr, but we do still love the trees :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, that works.

Also, no need to be exiled: people move nations all the time.

Oh! Brilliant!

Time to start designing forest knight costumes so!

Which would be great, forestry icons, in Dawnish colours

Ex-Navarri come to Dawn for love, seeking to complete Tests of Ardour (for love) and Mettle (to attain nobility)…?

It would be dramatic, over-the-top, flamboyant and worthy of song!

(Dawn are going to love it).

For that matter, Dawn has many a heavily wooded area. You want to play the Forest Knights of House Treeshadow or something, on great quests to win the heart of Ygraine of the House Rhemoraz, that also works.

(Dawn doesn’t really have a concept of overly pretentious)

Colours:
Current Houses wearing green, for reference:
House Vexille, in green and gold (symbol = crossed keys)
House Tallstag in green and light tan (symbol = stags head)

3 Likes

Fantastic :smiley:

Im very excited about these guys now. It opens up a bit more for me to do too! He could be focused on proving himself, and I could be focused on establishing our house as well as supporting his quest.

Colours:
Current Houses wearing green, for reference:
House Vexille, in green and gold (symbol = crossed keys)
House Tallstag in green and light tan (symbol = stags head)

The designer in me is chomping at the bit to start making heraldry for us.

You may want to have a quick flick through the Dawn pages on the wiki, especially the look and feel bits.

Also the Dawn facebook page could be helpful.

https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Dawn_look_and_feel

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks a million guys, I seriously appreciate it!

1 Like

Was gonna say this whole plan oozes Dawn from every pore!

I think it might be better to just keep it pure Dawn while you are all new to the event, having a blessed or special grove of trees is just as plausible there as in the Navarr. More so in fact as the Navarr tend to be a lot less romantic about them :smiley:

Trees work fine in heraldry, i know my ooc family crest is an oak apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact the only nation that really has a positive connection to trees is the Marches, though that is more specifically apple trees :slight_smile:

I would suggest tying the challenges into the seven virtues (great learning exercise) but getting one from each nation can also be fun.

1 Like

To further stick my (Dawnish) nose into your character concepts, might I reccomend Wierwater as a magical and forested province to come from?

https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Weirwater

3 Likes

OK! So, here’s my concept so far after all the wonderful suggestions.

We are the Dawnish forest knights of house Gladewarden,. Our house has Noblely stood as the protectors of a sacred forest in Wierwater for as long as we can remember. Our knights function in pairs, practicing a style of combat which draws its roots (no apologies) from the forest itself. We are sworn to uphold the ideals of our house, and protect our partner at all costs. Once risen to the rank of knight, we take a name based on one of the trees from our forestry. eg Sir Oak, or Sir Birch ( Yes, I think im gonna take the pokemon professor naming scheme :P) The premise behind this is that our house believes that even though each tree has a different make up, property or use, they are all part of the same forest, and work toward a single goal, with each being a crucial part of the wood. Our knights embody the trees of the wood, and stand together to serve the house. As such our emblem is a group of trees, whose branches intertwine above them.

Our story will be that of a young knight, questing to prove himself to his love by trying to embody each of the Ideals. His sword brother and he will travel around the empire, seeking those qualified to issue these challenges, and allow him to earn his title, and prove his worth. His Sword brother is travelling with him, supporting him and chronicling his tale to recount.

I really like this so far, does anything I’ve said there fly in the face of rules or customs?

Hmmm not really any concept of “sacred forests” in the Empire, but you could be guardians of a mysterious forest with dangerous beasties in it :slight_smile: . Dawn love throwing themselves up against things that can kill them for Glory and the like.

Are you and your mate both going to be Knight-errants out to pass your Test of Mettle? That’s the test that’s set by the house you want to join to become a Knight. Have a read of this page if you’re wanting to come up with a fun test for both of you to try that’s also a challenge.

Other thing to have a read of is have a look at the various Eternals (big powerful not gods) as Dawn has a different relationship with eternals than most of the Empire. I can’t find a page on the wiki that describes it, can anyone else help me out? :slight_smile: As I can see your House potentially having connections with some interesting ones.

1 Like