Chainmail differences

Hi folks! I’m planning on making my owm armour for the event that I attend. Its more than likely i will wear chainmail so im just curious do people favour 4 in 1 or 6 in 1 and are there any stat differences between them?

Hi there Sudanim! Welcome along to the forums and the game :slight_smile:

You are in luck, as recently the armour rules have been changed to be a little more forgiving in terms of chainmail etc.

Therefore if you are making your own chainmail (ambitious! go for it!) you may use aluminium or other metals (or even neoprene rings to an extent).

This also allows any sort of chainmaille, even 4 in 1, to class as heavy armour. To the best of my understanding. Therefore, no differences between them, they all count as heavy armour.

However, as a style note, I would reccomend 6 in 1, or 4 in 1 if it’s fairly small shiny metal. That tends to look better, more heavy duty, more suitable for the role. Certainly “heavy chain” (steel 6 in 1) has looked a lot more “serious armour” than “light mail” (which could be 4 in 1 neoprene and aluminium).

But that’s a personal preference more than a mechanical ruling.

I’m afraid that ruling on the quality of armour and whether it classes as medium or heavy is for the battlefield refs to decide. But chainmaille, whether 4-1 or 6-1, if it looks like metal, should class as heavy.

Happy to discuss this in a bit more detail. What materials and tools are you using? Any photos of the work in progress?

I suspect you have seen this page of the wiki:
https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Weapons_%26_armour#Armour

2 Likes

Yarr any Mail is mail and thus heavy armour when its 4:1 or more, just the super open Ring mail weaves that are medium now.

This rule was changed - all metal or metal-appearing armour, including ‘light’ mail designs like open ring mail, are now Heavy armour:

Medium Armour

• Leather or armour made to appear as if constructed from leather.

Heavy Armour

• Metal armour or armour that looks like it is metal.

(From https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Weapons_%26_armour#Armour)

For OP: by far the most common mail design is 4 in 1.

2 Likes

Apologies about the delay. Life gets in the way y’know?
I’ve got a design I’m drafting up, I’m planning on having chainmail bare and maybe having it with a central loincloth rather than splitting of down the legs like a traditional shirt. I’m not quite sure of if the aesthetic would work for Wintermark. I’ve been pouring over reference images and various things to try and get a grasp of what works and what doesn’t. What are the locations other than the torso that the armour can cover? I imagine Legs, Arms and a helmet but I’m curious just covering the Upper arms or having Greaves worn would count.

The locations for armour are:

• Torso
  • Head
  • Arms
  • Legs

You need to have torso + one of the other three. Half coverage on both legs and arms (e.g. upper arms + upper legs) also counts as “one”.

A single piece of armour doesn’t need to cover all of this: mail vest (torso) + helmet (head) = full armour. Short sleeved mail shirt (torso + upper arms) + greaves (lower legs) = full armour.

Worth noting also that the protection you get with heavy armour from Cleave and Impale calls, only applies if the hit strikes the actual armour phys-rep. So your thighs will be a vulnerable point to keep in mind if they’re not covered.

Helms aren’t as common as you might think, in my experience, due to safe fighting rules requiring players to avoid the head where possible.
https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Event_safety

• You must avoid hitting the groin, neck, or face; you should avoid aiming at the breasts or head where there is a viable alternative target.
2 Likes

Worth noting also that the protection you get with heavy armour from Cleave and Impale calls, only applies if the hit strikes the actual armour phys-rep. So your thighs will be a vulnerable point to keep in mind if they’re not covered.

And folks DEFINITELY aim for those areas if they see them, so it’s not necessarily random if you get hit in the one place you have no coverage.

3 Likes

I imagine a mail loincloth would also try hard to castrate, entangle and generally trip :smiley:

Id certainly advise wearing a helmet if possible, its a fairly safe hobby but head injuries are real bad and if you are wanting to fight in an attempted shield wall your head is pretty much always going to be a target.

People will definitely go for exposed thighs as its a fairly common weakness.