Changing nations, changing names

So one of our new House members (Dawn) is coming from Wintermark. He’s cleared it with PD that switching is fine, we just have to do it IC, with an Egregore’s presence.
My question, with problem, is: will he have to/be expected to change his name? I’m writing his test of mettle down and I’d rather not have to make another copy or leave it blank.
Thanks!

I’m believe that it’s encouraged, in the same way that you are encouraged to change your kit and to accept the hearth magic of your new nation.

Names tend to change superficially
IE: Marius to Merry for a league to marcher.
Wulfrick to Rickard Wintermark to Dawn/Highguard
Peter to Petrov Marches to Varushken
ect.

I suggest not changing names too much as they are still the same character.

went from dawn to league. It was suggested i Change it from Harken to Antonio. but it wasn’t forced upon me.

That’s super helpful, thanks guys!

It feels like something that should be done slightly more than it is, but since there are OOC reasons not to change your name, signalling it’s the same character being a big one, I understand why people don’t do it.

For Dawn I feel that changing it upon passing the test of mettle feels a really cool way of doing it. “I was once Wulfric I am now Arthur de Montaine.”

The other little thing I would say is Dawnish names are taken from dead knights to inspire the child, and that going around finding the deeds of dead player characters to choose a new name IC, also feels like a cool thing someone could do.

I’m believe that it’s encouraged, in the same way that you are encouraged to change your kit and to accept the hearth magic of your new nation.

I kind of disagree here, changing kit and hearth magic is pretty much compulsory, name changes far less so. Very few people who change nation change their name (except surname when it is the name of a group), although it is a cool thing I would like to see more of. I’m considering it, although since my character’s name works in my current nation fairly well I may not.

I agree with @McGonigle that it is a cool thing, but does need to balanced against the OOC issue of it potentially not being obvious that it’s the same character despite obviously the same person playing them. Potentially a delay until after you’ve changed your kit could help there, on passing a test of mettle is a really good idea for Dawn.

Huh, my limited experience - my husband changing nation - was that the name change was strongly recommended by the egregore.

You’re right that ‘encouraged’ to accept the hearth magic/kit/traditions isn’t a strong enough term though. I should have gone for something a bit more imperative.

It seems to depend on the nation, some egregores encourage it more than others. The HG ones are good at suggesting this, but I have very rarely seen it happen in other nations.