Choleric Staff

Just a quick question. Does the rank in a Lore granted by items like a Choleric Staff also grant the 2 ritual mastery’s that such a gain in lore would normally get? Given it’s cost I would assume so but am wondering how it would apply, each individual staff having 2 specific rituals that it grants makes most sense to me?

No, it grants no additional mastery. You just get to contribute an additional mana to the ritual.

No. You get +1 rank of lore while bonded to and wielding a staff, allowing you to contribute +1 mana crystal.

As an aside, note that if I have used a staff in a given day, nobody else can use that staff that day. Nor can I use any other armament slot item (e.g. a wand of knowing a spell) that day.

Boo :cry: Still, given the extra level of complication it would add, I can completely see why that would be the way it works…

Pretty much.

Also note that the Regio doesn’t give you extra mastered rituals, nor do the potions of +1 lore, the rings of +1 to three or six lores (do I have to pick 12 rituals when I bond the ring, 11 of which I know I will never ever cast?), the Archmages’ staves (which get passed around like nobody’s business), or the rituals of +1 lore. It’s a running theme.

The mastery is specifically tied to the character skill, essentially. Cf. also the Extra Ritual skill. It’s kind of like Magician giving you a bunch of spells known as well.

It is a very minor point but maybe the character skill should be called something different like [Realm] Prowess because there are sentences like “Each level of lore also allows you to pick two free rituals from that realm that your character has mastered” that could be misleading.

[Realm] Prowess gives +1 [Realm] Lore and 2 empty [Realm] ritual mastery slots.

[quote=“tea”]No. You get +1 rank of lore while bonded to and wielding a staff, allowing you to contribute +1 mana crystal.

As an aside, note that if I have used a staff in a given day, nobody else can use that staff that day. Nor can I use any other armament slot item (e.g. a wand of knowing a spell) that day.[/quote]

Would usage in this case be defined as being bonded to it and then performing a ritual or does it not ping as used if you’re bonded to it but don’t need the extra realm lore?

[quote=“Steve”]

[quote=“tea”]No. You get +1 rank of lore while bonded to and wielding a staff, allowing you to contribute +1 mana crystal.

As an aside, note that if I have used a staff in a given day, nobody else can use that staff that day. Nor can I use any other armament slot item (e.g. a wand of knowing a spell) that day.[/quote]

Would usage in this case be defined as being bonded to it and then performing a ritual or does it not ping as used if you’re bonded to it but don’t need the extra realm lore?[/quote]

Once again the best answer is email PD.

I did have a field [and thus not binding for any other case or event] ref decision that went:
Since it grants a skill as soon as it’s picked up while bound - that’s the point at which it is ‘used’. Making use of the skill is your business, the items function is granting that skill.

[quote=“Steve”]

Would usage in this case be defined as being bonded to it and then performing a ritual or does it not ping as used if you’re bonded to it but don’t need the extra realm lore?[/quote]

I would call that used, if you asked me on the field.

Feel free to email if you want an ironclad clarification.

Though if you didn’t wield the staff while doing the ritual you would de facto not be receiving the benefit and so presumably it couldn’t count, same as you can’t activate the power of any other magic item while it’s sat in your tent.

Indeed.

It’s all a bit wobbly*, but it roughly boils down to “If you have used the item, you can’t unbond from it and bond to another, nor can someone else”. Exactly what using means is a bit variable, but I’d tend to include “I cast a spell with my autumn staff” as using the staff, whether or not you technically needed the +1 lore.

*This is deliberate. Our approach for Empire is to stick to the spirit of the rules, instead of trying to write the letter of them in perfect detail.

It strikes me that I can’t remember last time I did a ritual whether I was asked for the ribbon code on my +1 lore staff…

The system automatically pops it up if you’re bonded to it, and includes it in the calculations as appropriate. It’s really very clever.

[quote=“tea”]

The system automatically pops it up if you’re bonded to it, and includes it in the calculations as appropriate. It’s really very clever.[/quote]

I do love the ref-o-matic. It seems to come on in leaps and bounds every year!

I think ref-o-matic assumes if it’s needed, you didn’t leave it on your tent.