Claiming to be a Herald

Are you allowed to disguise yourself as a Herald on purpose?
If someone asks if you are a Herald, are you allowed to answer ‘yes’?

Just wondering, because I have been asked IC if I am a Herald multiple times per event when in the Hall of Worlds, and the confusion to be sowed could be interesting.

I’m confused; why wouldn’t you be allowed to answer an IC question IC during time-in in an IC area? Or do you mean to ask if there are IC laws against?

Possibly because of the rule against disguising yourself as another lineage or species?

I would assume that if I had accidentally made myself appear lineaged when I wasn’t (for example by wearing a hat concealing the ears and wearing spiral tattoos, or overdoing the make-up for a terminal characters last hours) I would be expected to enlighten people if they made a mistake.

[quote=“Cayce”]Possibly because of the rule against disguising yourself as another lineage or species?

I would assume that if I had accidentally made myself appear lineaged when I wasn’t (for example by wearing a hat concealing the ears and wearing spiral tattoos, or overdoing the make-up for a terminal characters last hours) I would be expected to enlighten people if they made a mistake.[/quote]

If your tattoos can be mistaken for a lineage trait then it looks like you’re breaking the rules (at least from the wiki entry). If you are not breaking the disguise rules, and are asked an IC question, then I’d have thought you’d give an IC answer. Maybe I’m missing something?

Many heralds do resemble high lineage humans, so I’d say a deliberate disguise wouldn’t be ok, but if you’re playing a high lineage character and someone asks IC then responding IC is fine.

I think rule 7 applies rather than this being something PD can actually rule on.

I would say answer.

“Do you think I am?”

“Do you think that is an appropriate question to as a Herald?”

“How dare you! I would never dream of asking a Herald that!”

That way the other guy makes their own mind up and you haven’t lied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s fine to ask ooc what you’re looking at if the physrepping is unclear (“is that makeup IC or is it a patch of pale skin?” “are those scales snake like or fish like?”). Then you can make whatever IC assumptions you want. As noted, a lot of Heralds look identical to high lineage humans; the wiki even notes this specifically in some cases iirc.

I was asking because of the lineage disguise rules, as noted above. I’d expect it to be much easier for me OC to disguise myself as a herald than for my character to do so IC.

My character is unlineaged with fairly standard Navarri tattoos, not sure why they keep being mistaken for a herald.

Not sure anyone has bothered to pass a law IC, but I would certainly expect to get into a lot of IC trouble for pretending to be a Herald. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing :smiley:

[quote=“Isca”]I was asking because of the lineage disguise rules, as noted above. I’d expect it to be much easier for me OC to disguise myself as a herald than for my character to do so IC.

My character is unlineaged with fairly standard Navarri tattoos, not sure why they keep being mistaken for a herald.

Not sure anyone has bothered to pass a law IC, but I would certainly expect to get into a lot of IC trouble for pretending to be a Herald. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing :smiley:[/quote]

It is a bit of a grey area, you can quite happily wear a bird mask for example as an IC prop, and be mistaken for a herald with a bird’s face. As there is no reasonable way to know what heralds might or might not look like, you can’t expect players to consciously avoid anything that might be construed as a herald-like appearance (add to this the fact that some heralds look almost exactly human!).

If they wanted heralds to be obvious, they’d have decided that they all bore a distinguishing mark of some kind, like Maelstrom’s soul symbols, and made it easy to avoid presenting something similar as a non-herald. But instead, the ambiguity is intentional, I think.

If you annoyed sufficient people you might get made a sorcerer.

Not that this stops you in any way from continuing to pretend to be a herald.

If you’re really lucky you might get arrested for interacting with yourself and confuse everyone

I’m pretty sure that’s a different crime!

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … of_sorcery

I was making a joke on “interacting with yourself” in public. :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: though as the law states “knowingly” interact with a Herald, presumably if you knew you weren’t a Herald, you couldn’t break that law, so you might get arrested but wouldn’t end up being charged successfully!
(Presumably you’d be a herald of the Eternal of Loopholes at that point)

You mean to say, you might get arrested, but then you’d get off? :wink:

You’d get off from interacting with yourself? … isn’t that the point? :wink:

I suspect a well-attested claim of ‘They said, believably, that they were a Herald in front of a dozen witnesses’ is a decent defence against at least an assault charge, though.

Pro tip: wearing a blank white domino mask and soft blue gloves over a face-concealing veil and holding a knife is a good way to test this approach. :wink:

I would assume that if I had accidentally made myself appear lineaged when I wasn’t for example by wearing a hat concealing the ears and wearing spiral tattoos, or overdoing the make-up for a terminal characters last hours I would be expected to enlighten people if they made a mistake.