Cold nights

My tips:

• wear thermals
  • get insulation between you and the ground
  • wear socks and a hat (pack extra socks to wear at night, don’t wear your sweaty daytime ones)
  • put your more dense layers under softer ones. You don’t want your heavy layers squishing out the air (insulation) from your light ones
  • if you feel cold, get up, and find more clothes, otherwise you will lie there for ages failing to sleep
  • go for a quick walk or do a few starjumps before bed to warm you up. Try not to go to bed cold or you won’t have the residual heat to warm up your bedding
6 Likes

The above advice is all good. I would add:

• don’t be tempted to stay in the same socks, thermals, etc. as you wore during the day. It may seem warmer at the time, but as the sweat from the day cools down you will regret it.
  • pop a throw or fluffy blanket down the bottom of your sleeping bag to stick your feet into.
  • if you suffer easily from cold feet (like I do), consider getting those hand warmers that you crack - I crack one, then nestle it down within the folds of the throw at the bottom of my sleeping bag, and it tends to keep my feet warm until I nod off.
4 Likes

Firstly: check the weather forecasts before you head along there. If there’s been any significant amount of rain in the last few days or over the event, expect mud. Or, rather, Mud.

As suggested getting off the ground is excellent. An airbed, a campbed, or even just a large layer of something squishy UNDER you is worth more than OVER you. Consider sticking a blanket, your spare kit, your cloak, your towel under your sleeping bag.

Extremities. Toes are one that gets me, pack a large warm pair of bedsocks. And keep them dry. You may also want to look at a nightcap (warm wooley hat) of some sort.

Beyond that, thermal underwear, a good sleeping bag, a reasonably insulated tent, and possibly a (small) hot drink before bed.

It might even be possible to get a hot water bottle filled before you turn in: there will likely be a fair few tea shops if not the caterers.

This sounds really extreme. And it’ll probably not get TOO cold. But many here remember the very first Empire, where the Mud froze beneath us… And it’s better to overpack and have spare warm stuff, than to have to stumble along to First Aid…

1 Like

I use a wool cloak as a blanket over my sleeping bag as well.

2 Likes

If you’re a hardcore camper like me who slums it you will have… a nice log burner going in the tent :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That can be a good idea… or it can burn the tent down around you… or it can result in carbon monoxide poisoning… (or maybe that’s just with instant BBQs…).

Be careful.

2 Likes

Food, Glorious Food!

Keep fat and full of dense carby stuff. Bread, Pasta, Noodles, Cake. You’ll be walking around more than you do in real life, so compensate for that.
You might forget to eat during the event, but try to remember. You might be busy all the time, but MAKE time. Yes, you can talk to me, but you’ll be chatting to me while I’m eating a burger.

Keep hydrated regardless of the weather. Keeps you warm and keeps you cool. Pretty much every group that have a camp are more than happy to give you water. Gotta replace them fluids from all the booze!

Go to the Tea-house in Urizen. Warm welcome AND warm drinks :smiley:

4 Likes

A proper log burner has a chimney solving the burning down and carbon monoxide issues.

1 Like

Don’t drink alcohol to warm up, that’s an alternative fact.
Make sure you are dry, warm, and sheltered before you start your drinking.

2 Likes

As penny has said a good chimney, plus a fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide and dioxide alarm coupled with a fire proof treated tent, equals a warm and cosy me!

2 Likes

Get a "mummy " style sleeping bag or wear a hat when you go to bed. You lose a lot of heat from your head when it’s not covered.

0 Likes

Should also use a sleeping bag liner, this not only helps from a hygienic point but it does increase the temperature of around 2 degrees if you buy the correct one for your sleeping bag.

1 Like

Also Share your sleeping bag if you can. Sharing body heat for survival is a genuine thing. right?

0 Likes

It’s a genuine treatment for hypothermia… though phoning an ambulance is a better one, we are not actually isolated. Also getting your sleeping bag wet is a very bad idea if you like to stay warm.

2 Likes

Exactly! So it’s for Safety and Science!

0 Likes

Sharing tents also helps! Humans produce a lot of body heat (as anyone who has been in a busy club or stuffy meeting room can testify) - if you have a large tent, consider inviting some groupmates to bunk along with you. If you prefer your privacy and your tent doesn’t already have one, consider investing in a ‘bedroom’ divider attachment. Particularly useful in IC tents, as you can chuck all your OC gear in it during the day, and the smaller space warms up quicker at night.

2 Likes

I threw this together after E1 last year and had some useful feedback from other people which has since been incorporated into it. It’s an OC survival guide which I was inspired to write after seeing some of the disasters that befell people in the rain, mud and cold. I’ll look at feedback posted here and add anything that isn’t already covered.

DISCLAIMER: I’m very much standing on the shoulders of giants here. A lot of this is stuff I have learned partly through bitter personal experience, but also thanks to the solid advice I have received as well.

1 Like

What others have said… plus:

Ground sheet, tent, tent carpet, something to elevate one off the ground, then a foam mat or self-inflating mat, a duvet or mattress topper, then one’s sleeping bag. Put as much between one’s self and the ground as possible. Sharing a tent-space with others can help with creating warmth.

Bring talc for the feet, and moisturiser for everywhere else. Trench-foot’s no laughing matter.

A knitted cap can help one retain warmth, even when one’s sleeping bag has a hood on it. Have separate sleeping clothes and bed socks from one’s character and travel clothes. Store one’s sleeping clothes in a waterproof bag when not in use.

Hot drinks tend to make one cold. Cold drinks can help make one warmer.

0 Likes

A decent pair of thermals and pay well for them.

Ask in a camping store (i went to cotsworld) for a set that keeps you warm even when you’re sitting still, as most retain heat from movement and activity.

I have a set of helly hansen thermals that cost about £30 - £40 but bloody hell they work well, you can really really notice the difference from the cheap ones (stating the obvious i know)

Sleeping bag liners help, and don’t forget to fluff out your sleeping bag before getting in.

If you know someone with a kettle take a hot water bottle.

Candles help, just please be careful, they can warm a tent up more then you think, again please please be careful.

A couple of star jumps before bed to get the blood flowing.

Oh and sleep in a onsie :grin:

2 Likes

I would advise against open flames in any tent, but a safer option could be making a Clay pot heater, powered with tea lights. As long as its placed somewhere safely unlikely to be knocked, that could help more. That way its at least covered.

3 Likes