Combat Calls you MUST know?

Hi,

Whilst I find the wiki a great source of interesting stuff, I struggle to find direct answers!

I’ve never played Empire before and the summer event will be my first.

As a non magic character, I need to know what the common calls are going to be from mages, priests and whoever during a battle, so that I don’t mess up by not knowing how to role-play the effects of their attacks.

I understand that they have to make physical contact to cast a spell on me, is that always the case?

Hopefully the Mage players can understand where I’m coming from here and can help me out… I can’t be the only player who hasn’t a clue how the magic side of combat works!

Thanks

profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Calls

What we really wanted when we first went was a card with the calls, an IC description of what happened and a short 1 line roleplay instruction. I found that the info was too spread out in the wiki and not concise enough. Something like this

Shatter: Your weapon/shield has broken: Drop the item and carry on

Strikedown: You have been hit by a mighty blow: Fall over and get back up again

But for all the calls and all the magic, would have made things a lot easier.

[quote=“ChrisBear”]What we really wanted when we first went was a card with the calls, an IC description of what happened and a short 1 line roleplay instruction. I found that the info was too spread out in the wiki and not concise enough. Something like this

But for all the calls and all the magic, would have made things a lot easier.[/quote]

I’m sure were you to put together something like this, it would be well received.

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3 … ile%2cdocx

We did this for E1:1 (so it’s possible it will have changed).

[quote=“ChrisBear”]What we really wanted when we first went was a card with the calls, an IC description of what happened and a short 1 line roleplay instruction. I found that the info was too spread out in the wiki and not concise enough. Something like this

But for all the calls and all the magic, would have made things a lot easier.[/quote]

This is one of the reasons behind the new Calls page, which I linked to above - it contains the four heroic calls and six magic calls, plus the rules.

Kat Quatermass is working on a shorter summary brief, which is being used for monster briefing in the first instance, but we might get it out playerside at some point.

I wrote larp.soc.srcf.net/wiki.pl?EmpireRulesCheatSheet before Event 1.1, so it isn’t wholly accurate any more, but I think I fixed up the worst mistakes.

That’s a neat sheet for the combat calls, but doesn’t go into the magic ones.
There are some powerful rituals that let people do “Mass X” calls, generally once and they will always be accompanied by a Ref to help describe the area affected. Mass calls affect everyone within a 20’ cone that the caster ought to make clear (Refs will help), but otherwise cause one of the effects described below.

Otherwise, a wizard will hit you with an implement (they do 1 damage in addition to the below) and say one of the following things…
Repel - you have to move away from them at a brisk walk or faster: safely, but as though you are being forced away against your will. This lasts for 10 seconds or until you’ve gone 20’.

• an example of the standard “go away” call of the LARP battlefield and just as transient when used in line fighting.

Entangle - Your feet are rooted to the floor for 10 seconds. Everything else works fine, so keep parrying.

• if it catches you on the move, either fall safely or skid to a halt before starting the 10s clock.

Paralyse - You have to stand still for 10 seconds. Like arrows/Impale, this bounces off Heavy armour. phew

• Yeah, sucks in the middle of a fight… don’t expect to have many hits left afterwards unless your friends intervene. Intervene if you see your friends get hit with it. :wink:

Venom - This reduces your bleed time from 3 minutes (+X based on Fortitude) to 30 seconds (+10s per fortitude). It lasts until cured and prevents the use of Unstoppable.

• So it doesn’t kill you, it just makes you more likely to die if you get dropped. Not a nice thing to do to someone, eh?

Weakness - This stops you from using all your Heroic skills and Mana, as well as blocking off any Enchantments or magic items that would give you the equivalent. Lasts until cured.

• This is a big equalizer… bringing mighty warriors down to the level of mere spods. Angry, heavily armoured spods who are particularly narked at that wizard, but spods nonetheless. :wink:

If you get hit with a Curse, then a ref will explain any immediate problem to you - otherwise it comes with a little laminated card attached that tells you when you need to open that card and find out more about your problem.
There are also “Traumatic Wounds” (and Spiritual Wounds if you’re mucking about with wibbly stuff) which agains have little laminated cards with a rough description on the back. They are usually the domain of Physics and Priests… they need to get a look inside you and figure out what’s wrong before it kills you.

Worth noting I’ve never seen the CURSE call even when it would have been appropriate, I just got the RP aimed at me and then quietly handed a card by a ref at an appropriate moment.

Weakness is currently running about a 50:50 monsters actually knowing what it does for me (just based on the look of confusion on the phys rep’s face, so may be inaccurate). But hey, either route is effective - one way what you actually wanted to happen happens, the other way someone else jumps them while they’re puzzle-locked…

Thanks Tea, LauraH, Chris et al.

What about arrows?
I’m going to be wearing a lot of heavy armour with a surcoat over the top.

How do archers know I’m taking thier hits but ignoring the impale?

To be honest they dont’, but unless they are being deeply uncharitable they are liable to assume they you are wearing heavy as that is the only way to soak an Impale up and keep coming.

As an aside if you are in the midst of the Dawnish line you are unlikely to get many arrows thrown at you. We tend to be one of the most heavily armoured nations and as such archers tend to bother other folks instead. That is by no means universal but the combination of big shields and a lot of plate and chain makes for very little impact generally.

Speak for yourself.

battlemage, yo

:wink:

In general in regards to arrows its a matter of trust but if you feel like it you can always clatter your armour and IC taunt the archer at his failure to let him know you know you were hit. Though this can be counter productive if you are trying to have concealed armour.

Also, while they’re not officially Calls its probably worth knowing the names of the healing spells, especially the two combat healing spells so you know how to react when a fellow casts one on you.

Heal/ Swift Heal: The most basic healing spell this simply puts you back on full hits regardless of where you were before or how many hits you had before. Remember the difference between that and the heroic healing powers of Stay with Me (get back up on one hit) and Get it Together (Heal three hit points as long as you are on at least one hit)

Purify/Purge: Kinda does what it sounds like. It removes any and all negative effects primarily Weakness and Venom. (Purge also deals with entangle and paralysis.)

Almost any other spell (mend, repair limb, etc) is likely to be cast at such a time that the result will be obvious or the caster will have a chance to explain it to you.

I think CURSE gets used occasionally in more dynamic situations (like the middle of battle) where there might not be a ref immediately there to deal with the curse / it’s possible for both the curser and the ref to lose track of the target. Getting hit by CURSE lets you as a target know to go and ask a ref what happened when it’s possible for you to do so, making it a bit more likely that curses in that kind of situation will actually land.

[quote=“MorkaisChosen”]

Speak for yourself.

battlemage, yo

:wink:[/quote]

Go team Dawnish Arrowmagnet