Commerce mage questions

I was mindful of putting too many questions on hear but you all seem to love talking about the game so here we go.

I’m building my character Dylan (Navarr Broker Magician) to be a commerce mage. He has 2 ranks in Autumn Lore and 1 in Spring. This means that he can do the baseline cast of Blessings of the New Spring and do up to 3 businesses worth of Streams of Silver without even needing a coven but will be looking for a commerce coven in September.

My question…

How difficult is it to find 3 businesses in the same territory?

The ritual is more efficient if I can do 3 people for 2 gems. Dylan is less interested in profit and more interested in making contacts (as the Navarr pages suggest for Brokers) but I would like to be effective. I presume I can get the information from the Bourse or something?

My second question is how common are commerce mages? Am I adding to an excess?

2 Likes

Your best bet for businesses all in the same region is the League - their senatorial voting is based on the size of people’s businesses. Otherwise, there will be some scattered around, but finding them will require some footwork. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it gets you around the nations, and you often find that once a group has found a reliable coven to enchant their resource, they’ll keep going back to that one.

As for actual commerce mages, it’s impossible to say. Trade is a BIG part of the game at Empire, so some mages will dabble in it, some won’t, and the level they do will vary. Some will focus on enchanting other resources, which is another form of commerce. Essentially, you won’t be adding to an excess, but you also won’t be the only one focusing on it. There’s definitely more than enough to go around though!

1 Like

I mean you’ll need to use a lot of shoe leather to find customers on the field, but that also gets yourself out there. I can recommend having a cool IC business card (with your ooc details on the back, on in small writing on the front), it helps people remember you if nothing else. (To show off a little :slight_smile: )

I don’t know how common you’d be in Navarr, like @Triska says the League yes but elsewhere? So go for it and remember you can complete swap skills, rituals and resources about after your first game :slight_smile: .

Also these great works encourage businesses in certain territories, that’s IC information that anyone can have as anything on the wiki is “general knowledge”. So that’s a place to start.

The Blood Red Roads - Temschwar, Sarvos, Tassarto, Holberg, Casinea, Astolat, Semmerholm, Upwold, Hahnmark, Miaren, Karov, Madruga
The Colossus of Sarvos
College of the Liberated
Holmauer Park
Lorenzo’s Great Game
“Little Mournwold”
The Towers of Anduz

4 Likes

Those IC resources are a great start l.

As you say the shoe leather price is part of the fun for me. I’m striding boy after all. Meeting people and building a network will be a constant supply of RP. Brokering by connecting covens with customers will definitely be my Golden Pyramid element coming through.

“I can only do that for 3 businesses friend. For your fleets I do have a group I can introduce you to…”

2 Likes

I also love the business card idea. We used business cards to make mini Tarot cards advertising our Twitch stream at a con. I can ask our artists to come up with something I’m sure.

2 Likes

Doing something collectible, like a set of different ones could be fun :thinking:.

2 Likes

Collect a stamp for every ritual you get - collect 5 and your 6th ritual is free! :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m going to follow up on this item since I am planning to play a league magician. However, I am now seriously doubting the effectiveness of Streams of Silver (and most of the other economic rituals).

I naively assumed that the difference resources would be fairly balanced (by the law of supply and demand if nothing else). However, my impression from this forum is that mana can cost around 35 rings in the field, and even reach 2 crowns.

However, with 2 levels of Autumn and Streams of Silver mastery it would cost 2 mana crystals to give 24 rings to 3 businesses, a return of 36 rings per crystal without having to use up a coven ritual slot – fine for a coven with mana to spare and three businesses but not enough or operate commercially (how much would you pay to add 24 rings to your business at the next event – don’t answer that, I’ll FOIP if necessary).

At 5 businesses it’s a little better (40 rings per mana) so then it becomes a question of opportunity cost – what else might I be doing with my time when not gathering more businesses in a single territory who haven’t already been enchanted with Rivers of Gold? I’m still tempted by the role-playing aspect of being in a League coven with limited mana sites but selling dormant mana crystals seems likely to give me a better game+profit to time ratio than trying to make economic rituals profitable.

1 Like

When I first starting looking into Empire, I was fixed on playing a money-making mage too. However, I dived into the economics of the game and found that the money-making rituals don’t really make money, which is sad.

If you’re looking to make IC coin without getting into the Bourse game, the biggest ROI that I’ve seen is selling OC items for IC coin, such as sweet or savory foods or more famously, alcohol.

1 Like

I couldn’t possibly comment on whether my new guild might be based around an IC bar. However, when looking at conversion rates of Barbarian to Rings I am using beer and cake as targets.

2 Likes

I abandoned the idea of a commerce mage. I’m now a Vate and Artisan. Vates offer their services for free to other Navarr but I can still sell items to other nations.

1 Like

This is one of the points where players tend to disagree with PD on the balance a fair bit. Although with the latest Wind of Fortune, it looks like Urizen might be getting *gasp * at least a few reliably profitable economancy rituals.

Fallow Fields and Dried Meat is the top example. With a LOT of farms it gradually approaches 30+ rings per mana. With a few farms it still loses money unless the mana market has crashed. But this is at the cost of a coven slot or expert, and mana that can’t be spent on something that produces more Fun Per Mana. I know farm rituals are up for review at some point, but it’s still a good example of a ritual that people cast for the sake of “using that thing they bought with XP” or “doing that thing that seems like it’s part of the Landskeeper brief”. The sunk cost fallacy is a major source of fun loss in that way.

The key economic question at Empire is nothing to do with Rings. It is “Does this ritual produce a more entertaining outcome per mana spent than casting Freedom of the Soul on some people for shits and giggles/giving someone an extra Cleave in a battle?”. You are here to have fun. Mana can generate game effects which generate fun. All turning it into Rings does is to change the type of Fun you can generate (and rings are arguably less good at generating Fun as you can’t use them as ammo). So if a ritual pays out rings, IMO it needs to pay out a solid profit.

Both of those other rituals are outrageously cost-effective in terms of the real economy of a larp, as they give One Person’s Worth of Fun for Not Much Mana, and then scale up to Many People’s Worth of Fun.

Oh, also Ruthless Vigilance, Healthy Crop is super-cost effective because in addition to kicking out a small profit of Herbs on a single target, it gives the recipient a cool roleplay effect that tends to conflict with the goals of a Physick. And that RP effect, and the “collateral damage to all plants that are not Medical Herbs” fluff has got me so much RP over years as a Winter magician.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Fallow Fields and Dried Meat is even worse than Streams of Silver.

I’m now thinking that my character is likely to be a merchant and a mage who uses his trading skills to make money to fund rituals (and other guild activities) rather than using rituals to make money.

1 Like