Conclave updates E1 2017

PD have just released the details of a bunch of changes to the Conclave, you can read the design notes here.

• Gambits have been removed. The entire system was not creating the kind of game we intended, so we have removed it completely.
  • Free minutes of discussion have been removed. Previously the first person nominated by each grandmaster in each round of discussion after a gambit spoke for free. Going forward everyone has to pay for their minutes during the discussion.
  • (ETA) A line referencing an ability to the civil service to allow people to speak was removed.
  • No more question and answer sessions. Anyone making an address or declaration, or speaking in response to them, has to speak themselves. In keeping with the Principle of Presence it is no longer possible to engage in question and answer sessions, or allow someone else to talk substantially on your behalf during the minutes you have paid for.
  • Declarations come into effect at the end of the session. Previously there had been some confusion about when a declaration before the Conclave came into effect. All declarations now take effect at the end of the session
  • Precedence is calculated at the start of the event. Rather than calculating precedence based on the attendance of Conclave, we are establishing precedence shortly before the start of each event using the number of magicians who possess each order’s Arcane Mark as recorded on our database. We intend to make this calculation as close as possible to time-in to take into account gate bookings wherever possible. Previously precedence involved a great deal of counting and would regularly delay the start of the Conclave session.
  • Grandmasters receive their order’s resources. Going forward, the grandmaster of each order gets the resources that were previously locked in the conclave vaults. We’ve coupled this with an explicit statement that the grandmaster is responsible for using these resources to the benefit of their order and in pursuit of their order’s goals.
  • Grandmasters may be challenged. A system whereby members of an order may declare a lack of confidence in their grandmaster, triggering a new election, has been introduced.
  • Sorcerors do not lose their resources. Previously, sorcerors lost their personal resource if it was a mana site and it became the property of the Conclave. We have removed this stricture. A sorceror still keeps their mana site. Although it is illegal for them to carry the mana it produces, it is acceptable for them to pass the mana to an ally before the game begins.
  • Archmages deal with eternals. The archmagi have gained two new powers - plenipotentiary and parley.
    There may be additional tweaks to the wiki in line with these changes over the next week, and we are still discussing a few procedural and implementation points which should be clarified in the next few days.

(From here >> https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Rules_update#Conclave)

1 Like

Ey up. I’m knee deep in work at the moment but I expect Mark will brutally harass me if theres anything he thinks I can help out with. I’m just popping in to remind people that wrt the Conclave changes you can always write to the Boss at matt@profounddecisions.co.uk and his door is apparently always open. Which is probably why his office is full of geese.

4 Likes

Probably best to post here and I’ll poke Andy if needed. Now * whip sound * back to the wiki mines you!

1 Like

I love these changes - they should make more space in the game for fun, up the level of politics in the Conclave, and reduce the potential for boredom. Good job.

2 Likes

How does the system identify the order you are in when you joined it prior to any of the changes made to the rules on joining? Will we need to join again at the first event we attend?

AFAIK Arcane Mark is done in the presence of a ref and involves an update to the PD database. If you had that cast on you, and you haven’t taken action to have it removed, it’s still there. Declaring membership of an order at character creation has the same effect.

1 Like

If you check your character profile on the PD site, it will tell you what Order PD thinks you’re in.

2 Likes