Crossbow draw weight

Hi there! Hope you are all keeping well.

I have just come back from my local LARP shop and found a beautiful crossbow, an absolute beauty which I would love to own. Unfortunately it’s draw weight is 42lbs. Is it possible to reduce the draw weight on it easily, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.
Cheerio!

Short answer: no, it isn’t.

Adjusting the draw weight on a bow requires reshaping the limbs to reduce their pressure, while maintaining a proper bending shape and not introducing any structural weaknesses. This is a complicated process to get right.

2 Likes

So it would involve buying a new fiberglass bow to fit the crossbow? Which is difficult to evaluate the strength of because of the particular draw distance of the crossbow?

It would be cheaper to get a bow for LARP than to modify the crossbow. Additionally, you’d find your firing rate and ranges significantly improved over a crossbow as you’d be able to fire at closer ranges and reload much faster.

2 Likes

Basically, yes - you’d need to fit a new bow, and very few people make bows for lrp crossbows.

1 Like

hi, this is actually something ive done for several buyers of crossbows around that draw weight, which are usually the mytholon ones though ive done it for others. if its a steel prod type, i can refit them to a fibreglass bar one, and if its already a fibreglass prod, they can be taken out of the stock, thickness shaved, retillered to 30lbs and recovered.
usually people drop them off at my stall at empire, and i bring them back the next event…of course this year has so far prohibited that.
The cost depends on the type, but i’ve never charged anywhere near as much as a larp bow (which i also make and sell at empire along with arrows) as its usually about 3 hours work at most.

3 Likes

Yeah, my local shop is indeed mytholon. I think I might shop around when I get to the event, it will make things easier.

yep, I do occasionally sell crossbows at my stall at empire, and i know graham at craeftigan probably has a couple of very nice fairbow ones still in stock, which are 30lb or just under. not many sellers have them in general, i think gems carries bungee ones, and there was a chap in the orcs making cheap active prod ones ( maybe someone can link, im useless with computers)- good hunting!

2 Likes