Easy doublet patterns/sources for inexpensive doublets

anyone know of any appropriate patterns or preferably affordable doublets?

Have you seen the Resources section at the bottom of this page? I’m not from the League so I’ve not really looked into League costume much.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … e_costumes

i have, thanks though, issue is i’m more looking for ready made but inexpensive, i’m no good at making things. thanks for the link regardless

For number two, your cheapest source of doublets is basically ex-theatrical costume sales. Try and avoid Tudor.

The next step up can be re-enactment markets, which will often sort you out (15th century or landschnect styles are better to watch for).

In general, though, doublets are reasonably expensive because they’re reasonably complex garments. The other issue with cheap new doublets is often that movement is difficult if the tailoring is bad - e.g. it’s very hard to raise your arms. Having something made for you can help alleviate that, but is generally more expensive again, of course.

I’ve decided to bite the bullet I’m buying one from the Viking store. Though I will need to see if anyone at the Easter event could help me remove sleeves and reattach them with ties as they’re sown on the doublet

[quote=“tea”]For number two, your cheapest source of doublets is basically ex-theatrical costume sales. Try and avoid Tudor.

The next step up can be re-enactment markets, which will often sort you out (15th century or landschnect styles are better to watch for).

In general, though, doublets are reasonably expensive because they’re reasonably complex garments. The other issue with cheap new doublets is often that movement is difficult if the tailoring is bad - e.g. it’s very hard to raise your arms. Having something made for you can help alleviate that, but is generally more expensive again, of course.[/quote]

i was wondering which of these was most appropriate, for reference i’m a league bravo.

velvet-glove.co.uk/index.php?page=16 - (the canvas landschnect jacket)

thevikingstore.co.uk/costume … 5829-p.asp

Of those two options, definitely the Velvet Glove one.
Velvet Glove’s “Gustav” jacket/doublet looks appropriate too (and it’s also available from mytholon.com).

And you can ask her about modifications such as having the sleeves tied on rather than sewn in, or some slashes added. See the FAQ page. Many of the Velvet Glove garments are made to order in-house (maybe the ones with a “custom” option for the size?), so if you choose one of those styles then I imagine tied-on sleeves might not affect the price.

On the Empire wiki, the League costume page makes the galling claim, “A beautiful doublet is easy to make.” Well, the writer might think so…

My League character started out with an ex-theatrical doublet modified to suit the League better, and now I have a really lovely new doublet made for me by someone who was selling nice things (but not in my size) at a reenactors’ market.

Of the traders who usually attend, Velvet Glove would be my first try for that sort of thing, though I imagine others could do it as well… and there are certainly players who could do it, but they might be too busy.

I think I might go velvet glove. I just don’t want to look too much like a soldier, I’m a bravo and a poet. Do you think I’d possibly get away with the Viking store one or is it a no no?

I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Gustav jacket as I rather like it. Out of curiosity is there likely to be anyone who would be bothered about a league player having unnaturally coloured hair? I don’t want to irritate anyone at my first event. But I could wear a hat if need be.

I hope you enjoy it!

I don’t think it’s likely. Indeed, I believe coloured hair (or at least facial hair) was a thing back in the day (though with something paint-like rather than modern colourants/“dyes”). Go for it!

That said, hats can look good, can look distinctively League, can keep your head warm, or all three at once!

Coloured hair is fairly common. I tend to regard it as low level Night magic, though it could equally well be hair dye, or a manifestation of Lineage, or just grew that way. It won’t particularly attract attention.

I’d recommend a hat anyway. If you are coming to the Easter event it will be cold, and in summer the nights can be cold even if the days are warm. A basic knitted hat with a thermal lining can be bought cheaply at market stalls, and will keep your head warm without being horribly out of character - it’s clearly ‘Anvil style’. Beyond that, there are some fabulous hats in the League! But please do keep your head warm :slight_smile:

Brightly coloured hair is totally a thing in Empire, as it’s not the real world feel free to go wild.

People sometimes incorporate their hair colour into their lineage trappings, but often it’s people just being incredibly fashionable :slight_smile:.