Enchantments

Just want to check that my understanding on enchantments is correct.

A character can have only 1 enchantment that impacts them personally, a new one will replace the existing one.

They can have an additional enchantment that enhances their personal resource, while the owner needs to be present for the ritual, the enchantment is actually targeting the resource via a sympathetic connection.

So an artisan could have both secrets of skilful artifice in place, and verdant bounty of the twilight bayou on his resource.

If an individual has an eligible campaign resource, can both the personal resource and the campaign resource have an enchantment? I think that the answer is yes, as they are both separate eligible targets to hold a single enchantment.

If they are the same type of resource, eg a business set up by the senate as part of a sinecure/ministry and a personal business, can they both be targeted and enhanced as part of the same ritual? Rivers of gold can target multiple businesses with an increase in magnitude with all of the owners present so long as they are all in the same territory, could it target both businesses with the same owner, assuming the territory requirement was met?

While we haven’t had much campaign level enchantment yet, the first campaign resource specific rituals are coming online, the army boosting rituals came into play last event (2 of them!) and people are starting to look at ministries as a good investment :slight_smile:

My understanding is that the resource slot is one per person, and an enchantment on any resource they may control counts for it.

So if you have an imperial army which is buffed, you can’t also buff your business.

Note, however, that Region and Empire enchantments are separate slots to Personal and Resource ones. So if your farm is in a region with a region-wide buff, that doesn’t stop you also buffing your farm individually, and stacks.

I’m afraid I don’t have a handy source/canonical call on this stuff, so take it with a grain of salt etc.

I believe you would have to ask PD by email if having an Army Buff and Personal Economic enchantment is doable on the same person.
I believe it should be as the enchantment are separate resources, but whether the PD system supports that is another thing.
Also note Campaign resources tend to need very different enchantment types to personal resources. I’d be unsure if you could use a personal congregation enchantment on the Britta’s Shrine position.

NOT GRAEME BUT …

At the moment it is worth noting that there is only one Campaign Resource you can enchant and that is an Imperial Army. If everything is working according to plan, the enchantment is “on” the Imperial Army so would not interfere with your ability to have a personal enchantment or personal resource enchantment.

If you tried to enchant the Spice Gardens of Feroz, the Keeper of the Spice Gardens would not get any more herbs. The fact that the people who work there are getting additional herbs does not change what the Imperial Title gives you. You categorically could not use a personal congregation buff on Britta’s Shrine because being the Guardian of Britta’s Shrine is not the same as running a congregation, despite the fact it appears to say it is. I would anticipate a wording adjustment in the next day or so because that is a misleading line that is a hangover from before we had the sinecures section properly laid out.

The line you want is usually in the “Performing the Ritual” section and says something like “This ritual targets a …” This should tell you what is being enchanted.

Edit: And lo a wording change to Guardian of Britta’s Shrine did appear.

Supplementary question about Enchantments on Armies.
It explicitly states that small military units (SMU) added to an Imperial Army do not benefit from the Army’s keyword(s). Is the same true of the “extra troops” gained from big Rituals?

• For example, if you added Knights of Glory to a Glorious army, would that extra 1,000 strength also contribute +20% to Campaign Outcomes?

And if so… is the bonus 50 from Bound by Common Cause considered to enhance the SMU or the Army that the Ritual is cast on?

Bound By Common Cause adds 50 to the army per SMU. That doesn’t, iirc, scale by the quality of the SMU, and is also independent of the SMU being buffed.

That was clear from the description, but doesn’t answer the bulk of the question I was asking.

Which I guess could be rephrased as “If army keywords were to apply to the the bonus troops from Enchantments, you realize that would apply to the potentially huge bonus from BCC right?”

I take my stance from the following passages:

[quote]Performing the Ritual
Performing this ritual takes at least 2 minutes of roleplaying. This ritual targets a character, who must be present throughout.[/quote]

[quote]Performing the Ritual
Performing this ritual takes at least 2 minutes of roleplaying. This ritual targets a farm. The character who controls the target personal resource must be present throughout.[/quote]

(*Emphasis *mine).

From this I have always figured from the way resource enchantments are worded that the enchantment is on the resource, not the player. It seems a bit odd that a character would not be able to have the extra hit from Strength Of The Bull just because halfway across the Empire Strong Ox, Golden Sun is providing his wheat fields a little more sunshine. This especially goes given some enchantments are now only active for a single encounter; and the micro-management of ritual time to make sure you buff your mine after you’ve taken the field on Sunday morning seems exactly the kind of thing the rules seem to be designed to avoid. Furthermore, given how solid the “one target, one enchantment” rule seems to be, I suspect the ritual descriptors above are worded to avoid that.

Of course, I am not a rulesmeister, so may very well have read them wrong.

Raff’s comments about resources such as the Spice Gardens are interesting, but make perfect sense to me. (My $0.02)

[quote=“Vaan”]

That was clear from the description, but doesn’t answer the bulk of the question I was asking.

Which I guess could be rephrased as “If army keywords were to apply to the the bonus troops from Enchantments, you realize that would apply to the potentially huge bonus from BCC right?”[/quote]

Drop PD a line on the rules email will be the best way to clarify this.

FWIW for BCC I do not think it would necessarily follow that if keywords apply to bonus troops from other enchantments it would also apply to BCC as the wording is in terms of the SMU adding another 50 equivalents to the army and we know that SMU equivalents are not affected by keywords.

If I were making the call I’d say they didn’t as much for balance as anything - but its not for me to make the call :laughing:

Thanks for that advice. Not only did I find the Rules email for this, but I found the general purpose “Empire” email address as well. I had sent my crippling downtime problem to the old “admin@…” which is probably why I haven’t had a response yet.

Me too, but I get suspicious when it doesn’t explicitly say it anywhere.

I’m surprised I couldnt find the line I was sure existed that at said bonus army strength from enchantments is not e(a)ffected by keywords, only the one about military units. I’m 78% confident that a bunch of husks don’t get the siege keyword if you add them to the Wolves of War. I’ll try and get that made clearer on the keywords page.

(EDIT) Keywords section now says " Likewise, the additional strength granted by an enchantment such as knights of glory is not counted for purposes of determining the effect of a keyword."

Thanks Andy.
I can now take the “check this fact” highlight off my latest pamphlet. :smiley:

A bunch of Husks tried to keep up with the Wolves of War once. We left them for dead.

[quote=“TimB”]

A bunch of Husks tried to keep up with the Wolves of War once. We left them for dead.[/quote]

They were great to start with, but after a few months it was like the magic was gone.

[quote=“Iulian”]

A bunch of Husks tried to keep up with the Wolves of War once. We left them for dead.

They were great to start with, but after a few months it was like the magic was gone.[/quote]

“I say, my husk has no nose!”

“How does it smell?”

“Awful!”

(I know that joke’s old, but it just won’t die.)