False virtues

What commonly recognised false virtues are there? I know Freedom, Hope and Justice, but are there any more?

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … se_Virtues

This should help

Unity might also get you smacked by certain people.

Don’t mention ‘Suffering’ around certain people.

There were a lot of reputable people on a boat who claimed Ferrero was a Virtue last event

Were people being encouraged to act in a way that was ferrerous?

Possibly by sticking bits of metal to themselves?

Unity might provoke an unpredictable and exciting reaction.

When they were fighting barbarians they were competing to be the most Ferrerocious

Thanks Matt :slight_smile:

Would Unity actually be recognised as a false virtue yet though, I’m toying with the idea of a children’s activity book of virtues, which practically demands a word search or anagram to root out the false virtues.

Unity is not recognised as a false Virtue, according to the wiki at least, but it damn well should be.

Grumble, grumble, reaches for pitchfork and burning brand…

OC: Henry Who Hates Forums

IC: Brother Jared of the Suns of Couros Chapter, Highguard; Steward of the Dead, Magister of Winter, Cardinal of the Path of Loyalty

Gosh if only there were some upstanding member of the Synod who could get a judgement passed so it was officially recognized as such :slight_smile:.

I was always under the impression that unity was Heresy not a False Virtue. Referring to the Unity type Heresy’s out there that believe that all Virtues are in fact one. Or is Unity thought to be something in itself that I’ve been missing on the Wiki

Michael - without going too far down this discussion OC, you are confusing Unity with Unitarianism. The former is an aura that promotes the group over the individual (thereby denying the necessary liberty for true Virtue), the latter is a belief that the Seven Virtues can be traced back to a single meta-Virtue or essence. The former is simply an aura, the latter is a recognised and condemned heretical interpretation of the Doctrine of the Seven.

Now you could also argue that following Unity is also idolatry, as a certain Day Eternal shares the name and purpose… profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … /Sinokenon

OC: Henry Who Hates Forums

IC: Brother Jared of the Suns of Couros Chapter, Highguard; Steward of the Dead, Magister of Winter, Cardinal of the Path of Loyalty

I go round talking about honour a lot. I hope that doesn’t become a false virtue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really shouldn’t discuss Unity too much over an OOC channel except to say that I really shouldn’t discuss Unity too much over an OOC channel.

THERE ARE RUMOURS THAT it might be a thing.

Oh hang on I’d completely forgot that Glory is a false virtue as well and you shouldn’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise…

:wink:

[quote=“hjgsullivan”]Michael - without going too far down this discussion OC, you are confusing Unity with Unitarianism. The former is an aura that promotes the group over the individual (thereby denying the necessary liberty for true Virtue), the latter is a belief that the Seven Virtues can be traced back to a single meta-Virtue or essence. The former is simply an aura, the latter is a recognised and condemned heretical interpretation of the Doctrine of the Seven.
[/quote]

As a practicing Unitarian in real life, I still find this amusing :wink:

For something to be a False Virtue, from what I can tell, it needs to somehow manifest in the world as an aura, and for similar auras to be potentially manipulated through ceremonies. Remember that the auras and feelings came first and the names second - someone had to discover Loyalty and call it that, same as Hatred or Anarchy.

So unless you find an aura of Glory, that’s technically safe. The corollary to things that are Not Virtues is that “all laudable human qualities are rooted in the Seven Virtues” so you can be pro- things without it being heresy or blasphemy or suchlike (the example, I believe, is Truth - it’s not touted as a Virtue but is rooted in Virtue). I’m not even sure that claiming something that isn’t a spiritual force is a Virtue is actually anything to do with False Virtues; it’s certainly heretical (in the strict sense of teaching something that contradicts Doctrine) but there’s no risk of a cult creating consecrations to it.

Now, this is all based on my reading of the wiki and may be more pedantic than IC characters might choose to interpret the religion, but I think that’s the distinction as defined by the authors…

Glory is not a Virtue, Glory is life!

(and no, that’s not heretical :p)

Actually finding evidence of a completely new category of aura’s wouldn’t necessarily make it a false virtue. The false virtues are false because they conflict with actual virtues, and in the case of vengeance/justice there was an amount of debate around such. A completely new set of aura’s while unlikely seems destined to spark conflicts within the Synod, as to whether or not it’s false.