Fan the flames of new life

What happens if you cast fan the flames of new life on someone already pregnant?

Does it fail because the outcome (ensure conception) is usually impossible?

Does it succeed and bolster the unborn child in some way? (Or just make them a super healthy baby briar?)

Does it succeed and create the incredibly rare but possible scenario of different gestation twins?

Does it depend entirely on what the refs and players think will cause most game?

While I can’t see any ethics committe approving deliberate experimentation with this, in our real world many couples go for IVF treatment to find that they’ve finally conceived naturally, so assuming that fan the flames is used as a fertility booster after a period of trying as with IVF it would seem likely that pregnant women early in first trimester do sometimes have fan cast on them without realising.

The important phrase for me is:

The ritual doesn’t actually ensure conception: it merely increases fertility between these two individuals.

So were I giving advice in professional capacity IC, I’d say ‘by all means, it will cast, it will have the usual psychological effects and will not affect the child more than a normal Fan the Flames will’.

Also, I think the laws of magic - most specifically the Law of Intent coupled with the existance of Midwife’s Recourse) mean it will have no effect on the unborn baby at all because it does not in anyway *target * unborn babies.

It increases fertility between compatible adults to make natural conception happen.

You could of course cast it specifically for the roleplaying effect of feel lusty and vigorous - it’s only 3 mana for an effective aphrodisiac.

Or, to put it another way, the targets go to zero hits, become terminal, and are about to die (/reference)

It doesn’t bolster the unborn child - that’s what Midwife’s Recourse does.

They can’t naturally conceive in their current state, so they don’t conceive again.

The ritual doesn’t bounce, because you can cast it on couples who won’t naturally conceive.

In general, we don’t have stuff which causes exciting problems for pregnancy etc, for all sorts of reasons. So it’s unlikely to have any effects like that.

All in all, I think it gives them three mana worth of exciting aphrodisiac RP effect and sends them on their merry way to bed.

… hmmm… given the lengths people went to in Maelstrom for that, I’m surprised it isn’t cast more often. :wink:

a better question might be “Why can’t it be cast on more than 2 willing targets at a time?” :unamused:

If you want to put an arcane projection in for that, be my guest; I will only judge you if you do not then cast it.

[quote=“Vaan”]

of course cast it specifically for the roleplaying effect of feel lusty and vigorous - it’s only 3 mana for an effective aphrodisiac.
… hmmm… given the lengths people went to in Maelstrom for that, I’m surprised it isn’t cast more often. :wink:[/quote]

At Maelstrom the equivalent alchemical took 1/18th of your downtime days to make, whereas 3 mana’s just under half a season’s mana site output, and that mana could go to many other things instead…

(Also the aphrodisiac potion was an ingredient in a potion that made you able to hit for more damage. Also also the two aren’t really equivalent, to be fair, as Maelstrom downtime also included skill learning, etc. etc. Some day I will stop remembering alchemy prep times…)

The vastly increased fertility is also another potential downside if the couple in question aren’t actively trying for a child, which from my memories of how the al chemicals/drugs were used in Maelstrom, definitely wasn’t always the case.

We have occasionally used Vigour of Youth for similar reasons (despite it being far more expensive) as part of Dawnish weddings.

[quote=“McGonigle”]The vastly increased fertility is also another potential downside if the couple in question aren’t actively trying for a child, which from my memories of how the al chemicals/drugs were used in Maelstrom, definitely wasn’t always the case.
[/quote]

Mawkish dust also vastly increased your fertility. It’s actually a pretty direct port (though as noted, mawkish dust was a lot cheaper and more plentiful, because it had actual uses).

If you know of a way for three or more parents to donate genetic material to a single offspring, I am all ears.

But it doesn’t create the offspring, just boosts fertility, so you’d get a mass orgy and a lot of pregnancies with uncertain paternity :wink:

Wording of the effect: “Any attempt at natural conception between the two target characters during the duration of the enchantment will be successful.”

If two people get Fan the Flames cast on them and then go and have sex with other people, it has no particular effect on their fertility, as written, so Acrozatarim’s argument seems solid to me.

Principle of Intent: that’s a different ritual.

You don’t actually need magic in order to hold an orgy, incidentally.

cough splutter

Mitochondrial DNA transplant. You would even bring this in game by saying it’s a way to cure certain, rare, inherited diseases. If you really want to create “game” in this area, how about a ritual that ensures the child would be of a certain (or no) lineage

You assume the existence of mitochondria and DNA!

Inheritable traits are part of the game (they’re called lineages for a reason)

I think there are certain elements within the game (possibly from a nation whose name rhymes with “Fry-guard”) would be very interested in a ritual that would ensure that a child was born without lineage

Some lineages tend to run in families.

That’s not the same as lineages being inherited - there are a lot of other ways to develop and acquire lineage.

Lineage is called that because it symbolically denotes how it is gained/inherited from a realm, not because it’s something you get from your parents, in general.

I’d be surprised if you can make a ritual that fixes a child’s lineage, basically because that fixes the lineage of the child player, who might want to do something different instead.