First costume

As the title says its my first Navarr costume, thoughts on where I can improve it?

3 Likes

That’s a good first costume.

For Navarr I’d consider adding some bits of fake fur, or maybe some feathers or tassels. Maybe a few extra belts to add that ‘on the trail’ feel. The thing about Navarr is (to me) they’re very ‘rough and ready’; at the moment your costume is a bit on the crisp and clean side!

1 Like

Yeah the over tunic is brand new from velverglove and I do hope to add other bits over time and hopefully the age will eventually start to show on it as well

That’s perfectly fine as a first costume, though I’d roll around in the dirt a bit. :grinning:

The best part about what you have there is that it’s a solid, on-brief base that you can slowly add to or modify as your character develops. I think a lot of people get caught up in being perfect, and compare their stuff to people that have gradually built their kit over years.

4 Likes

I think the costume looks wonderful. As random_corsair said, it is a good on-brief base costume that you can build on over the years. If, and only if, you want to remove the ‘newness’ from the tunic, one easy way to do this is just to wash and iron it. It will still look newish, but not ‘out of the box’ new. That is assuming that the tunic is washable - check before trying this. :heart:

2 Likes

Agreed. Try not to think of it as costume. It’s Clothing. You will wear it day in and out. If you can add any useful tat to break it up a little would help also.

1 Like

One thing I would suggest - it will get cold at night (especially at E1). A cloak may be a good idea - you can make a simple one just by folding a woollen blanket in half and pinning it at the shoulder (either with a proper cloak pin or a kilt/nappy safety pin)

2 Likes

I don’t think the sunglasses work with the rest of the outfit :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, looking good. A little new, a little plain, but good.

The hood looks cool but you’re going to get very bored of not having peripheral vision / it falling down over your eyes a bunch - consider stiffening up the front circle with some wire, or similar methods of propping it up.

The robe would look great with some thorn / vine patterns in fabric paint, embroidery or other material stuck to it.

Those are some excellent Navarr vambraces :slight_smile:

1 Like

The glasses and hood are due to an eye problem I have, and so I figured a hood like that could help make the sunglasses less visible for when in character.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, nobody will object to you wearing sunglasses you need to wear at the event, so you don’t have to hide them - but you can if you want and I think this is a cool way to do it.

4 Likes