Friday Time-in etc

Hello all, just a couple of quick questions.

Firstly, regarding time-in on Friday. I live just north of Bristol and I work until 5pm Monday-Friday. Thanks to a spectacular cock-up with annual leave giving me a balance of -2 days (which I admit was partly my fault) and that travel from here to Northamptonshire via the M5/A40 is a sod at the best of times, is it a requirement to be at the field for 6pm?

Also. I’ve joined the forum and the Urizen Facebook group but I can’t help thinking I’m missing something, other than actually booking my place at E4, to ensure that I’m an actual member. What am I missing?

You may miss a few meetings and may need to chase someone to tell you what happened, and you won’t be able to bring your car onto the IC field to unload, but that should be the only drawbacks.

We had some turn up at 8pm due to traffic this event ant that was OK. Turning up after dark makes putting your tent up more complicated though :slight_smile:

[quote=“CharlieP”]You may miss a few meetings and may need to chase someone to tell you what happened, and you won’t be able to bring your car onto the IC field to unload, but that should be the only drawbacks.

We had some turn up at 8pm due to traffic this event ant that was OK. Turning up after dark makes putting your tent up more complicated though :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks Charlie. I’m hoping that this will be the only event that I’ll have an issue with. The holiday year runs as per the calendar year so I’ll get some more leave in the new year. I don’t like being late though and I hate missing things that I should be party to.

That being said, as it’s my first event I won’t have a massive amount of kit to bring, and my OOC tent is a pop-up job so it won’t be such a problem at night.

There are plenty of people who have to work and turn up late on Friday, if you’re not camping IC, aren’t carrying group kit and aren’t holding an imperial position then there’s absolutely no problem.

Just turn up when you can, pitch your OC tent, get dressed, grab your pack from GOD and get rping!

The new players session in the tavern isn’t essential or mandatory, it’s nice to have but your egregor (Menos for Urizen) will know you’re new and keep an eye out for you.

[quote=“Ariadne”]There are plenty of people who have to work and turn up late on Friday, if you’re not camping IC, aren’t carrying group kit and aren’t holding an imperial position then there’s absolutely no problem.

Just turn up when you can, pitch your OC tent, get dressed, grab your pack from GOD and get rping!

The new players session in the tavern isn’t essential or mandatory, it’s nice to have but your egregor (Menos for Urizen) will know you’re new and keep an eye out for you.[/quote]

That all sounds pretty good to me. I’m not only new to Empire but to LARPing in general so any help while I’m there will always be appreciated :slight_smile:

I travel from S Wales and have tried a couple of different routes to site.

M4, A419 (Swindon) , A420 (Oxford), A34, M40, A43 (Brackley) gets you to site in around 2 hrs from Bristol, noting traffic around A34 and M40 junctions cause a bit of a delay at times (note road closure on A420 Shrivenham for the next 7 weeks)

Alternatively, M4, A419 (Swindon), A361 (Banbury), A422 (Brackley), A43 is a decent alternative, albeit single track A road with 30mph limits at times.

As a new player might be best not to arrive too late on friday to make sure that you can collect your character pack & resources from GOD. Also if you’re planning on IC (in character) camping you won’t be allowed to take your vehicle onto the IC field after time in, not a problem if OC (out of character) camping.

Food & drink wise, there are both IC and OC catering (for real cash), the Forge Tavern (real cash) and plenty of IC Bars (IC money).

If you’re new to LARP then immerse yourself in the history and culture (through the Empire Wiki) then spend time joining in whats going on around you. In terms of combat there tends to be a mass combat each morning (muster from 1000hrs) where you can fight IC in one, and “monster” the other, plus other events going on during day/night.

[quote=“shemp”]I travel from S Wales and have tried a couple of different routes to site.

M4, A419 (Swindon) , A420 (Oxford), A34, M40, A43 (Brackley) gets you to site in around 2 hrs from Bristol, noting traffic around A34 and M40 junctions cause a bit of a delay at times (note road closure on A420 Shrivenham for the next 7 weeks)

Alternatively, M4, A419 (Swindon), A361 (Banbury), A422 (Brackley), A43 is a decent alternative, albeit single track A road with 30mph limits at times.

As a new player might be best not to arrive too late on friday to make sure that you can collect your character pack & resources from GOD. Also if you’re planning on IC (in character) camping you won’t be allowed to take your vehicle onto the IC field after time in, not a problem if OC (out of character) camping.

Food & drink wise, there are both IC and OC catering (for real cash), the Forge Tavern (real cash) and plenty of IC Bars (IC money).

If you’re new to LARP then immerse yourself in the history and culture (through the Empire Wiki) then spend time joining in whats going on around you. In terms of combat there tends to be a mass combat each morning (muster from 1000hrs) where you can fight IC in one, and “monster” the other, plus other events going on during day/night.[/quote]

The routes themselves are a bit “six and two threes” from where I am so I guess it just depends where the queues are on the day, and how quickly I can escape the queues at the M4/M5 junction. I have a fairly up-to-date sat nav which will tell me where to avoid on the day.

Is there a set time that GOD closes or does it vary by event?

I would like to camp IC though I’ve only got an OC tent for the time being, so will probably just sleep OC.

I’m glad that there’s plenty of catering, and I’m looking forward to trying out the IC bar at some point. Where would I get/earn IC money from?

I’ve already made several friends through the Facebook group and I would love for that to continue. I’ve read some of the Empire Wiki to give myself a fair idea of what to expect; I do realise that I need to know far more about it though. My character won’t be much of a fighter to begin with - and true to Urizen form, will not be fighting at all for the first event or two - but he will be training hard with a bow and arrow so that he can become an expert at it.

GOD will stay open until about 1am each night, so that’s not going to be an issue if you’re there relatively on time. If you’re so late GOD has closed, you can always pop in the next morning to get your pack.

IC Cash: every character gets 18 rings just for existing, which is a decent bit of pocket money - it’ll buy some drinks IC, etc. You also get the output of your personal resource - if that’s a farm or business, it’s nine crowns (180 rings) of extra money. Otherwise it’s something else, which you can always sell for money if required, but the value of resources is an IC matter to discuss on the field (your group/nation should be able to help you out on getting an idea).

The main tavern in the centre of the field trades strictly for OC money, but various people run bars in various nations that trade for IC cash, and can be found with a bit of wandering around and making friends (unsurprisingly, bars like to have big signs outside).

[quote=“tea”]GOD will stay open until about 1am each night, so that’s not going to be an issue if you’re there relatively on time. If you’re so late GOD has closed, you can always pop in the next morning to get your pack.

IC Cash: every character gets 18 rings just for existing, which is a decent bit of pocket money - it’ll buy some drinks IC, etc. You also get the output of your personal resource - if that’s a farm or business, it’s nine crowns (180 rings) of extra money. Otherwise it’s something else, which you can always sell for money if required, but the value of resources is an IC matter to discuss on the field (your group/nation should be able to help you out on getting an idea).

The main tavern in the centre of the field trades strictly for OC money, but various people run bars in various nations that trade for IC cash, and can be found with a bit of wandering around and making friends (unsurprisingly, bars like to have big signs outside).[/quote]

Ah, plenty of time then. Providing nothing too major happens on the roads, that is.

I haven’t decided on a resource yet. I’d want something to fit in with how I want my character to be. I’m thinking as he’s from Cargo, he’d likely have a fleet as a resource.

That sounds cool, I’d definitely like to wander around and meet people IC, getting a little light-headed as I go! I’m assuming it isn’t a problem if I meet someone from a different nation then?

If you want to camp IC, make sure you talk to your Nation’s Camp Planner. Every Nation has one at the moment, and they will be able to assign you a place to pitch your IC shelter once you have one. Camp space is tight everywhere because of the keenness of players who provide the majority of the Tent City. If you can’t get on-site sufficiently beforehand, probably best to have something simple, light and easy, since you’ll have to carry it and any dressings from OC to your pitch.

The value of resources is something to discuss IC, as tea says, but a useful ballpark is to compare to the output of a Farm or Business - so 180 rings is like 10 ingots, making an ingot 18 rings or so. This will vary (sometimes significantly) on the field depending on supply and demand, but gives a starting point.

I think fleets are the best non mana site resource. Most of the people in Urizen who don’t have mana sites appear to agree. (The best resource is the mana site.)

The reason I think this is that they can be tailored to what you most need, and they give you a grab bag making you want to walk around trading (clearly a good thing, drives social intraction).

Plus having your fleet raid our enemies gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling of helping out the war effort in some intangible capacity. :wink:

Haha, brilliant, fleet it is then! Anything that encourages social interaction is good for me. I’m pretty shy and it takes effort for me to do that in the real world.