General questions

okay so.
first question. lights! i deal with a pretty bad vision (no i dont need glasses,and i am not blind) but when it becomes dark i often dont have the best vision. so what do you do in terms of light(fire?,lanterns ect.)

second . tarverns and teahouses. for tarverns, i dont drink alcohol,(i get really sick) do tarverns serve anything else thats not alcohol. ? with teahouses,is there pictures of it like how it looks like ?

thats pretty much it. though knowing myself a bit ,i think i will come up with more questions in the future

1 Like

Lights: Lots of people carry little torches for when it gets dark. If you can make it look IC all the better, but no one really begrudges anyone for using a lightsource to see. There are also lots of campfires, small hanging lamps around camps, etc. You can find some very pretty battery-powered lanterns that look very in character on the internet. One important piece of advice is don’t walk around with an open flame, especially not around tents.

Non-alcoholic drinks: Plenty of tea houses serve non-alcoholic drinks. The main tavern serves soft drinks and beverages such as J2O. As for images of tea houses, I’ll have to see if anyone else can post those as I don’t have any myself.

3 Likes

In Urizen, try the Sentinel’s Repose which serves a variety of non-alcoholic beverages, and the Secret Tea House, which is identified by the ‘Secret Tea House’ sign out the front!

3 Likes

Most taverns will serve something that’s non-alcoholic. There are also plenty of tea houses. My house in Dawn runs a gin and tea house. We have a stash of lemonade and irn bru ( because we’re Scottish), and a variety of flavoured teas. I’ve only got pictures of the outside, I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to take any of the inside. But we’ve got a couple of tables about 8 chairs, a bar and a stove, and a couple of star gazing chairs for outside seating.

Most of the tents will have some sort of lighting. You can get solar powered artificial flame torches that you stick in the ground outside your tent. They look really cool. Going back to my tea house, decorate the entrance with solar powered fairy lights. We’ve also got some metal decorative containers filled with artificial fairy lights that we line the entrance with. I’d recommend some sort of portable light to find your way around at night, more to avoid tripping over guy ropes than anything else. I currently use a replica oil lamp with an led light in it, but its a bight bright for my tastes, so I may replace it with a soft led lamp at some point.

1 Like

In character, it’s safer and more convenient to use lightstones rather than anything that has a flame: see the “Lightstones” section of Technology - Empire
It’s safer and more convenient out of character too:

1 Like

one of the IC field caterers does a drinks pass for the weekend. All the squash and hot drinks you can manage.

3 Likes

I run Lumi’s tea house in Wintermark. I serve mainly teas/infusions, coffee, hot chocolate and cordials or cold infusions. I don’t tend to do fizzy soft drinks. I do also serve some alcohol, but its not the prime focus.
Customer seating is on benches. It’s under an awning, with no “indoors” as such, with the drinks mostly prepared over a firepit, see the Empire_LRP instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BuMIwFOn_UV/

A wider shot (unfortunately showing mostly me and my ingredients/equipment rather than the customer setup) is at the bottom of the Empire wiki Wintermark “Look and Feel” page.

Lit at night mostly by LED lightstrings. There is a pic of it at night somewhere on the FB Empire Photo forum, but can’t remember who took it or at which event.

5 Likes

Lumi’s is lovely!
And I think I remember (as a customer) having the use of a table as well as a bench.

5 Likes

I found the night picture I was thinking of. Came up on my FB memories today. Photo credit to Tom Garnett.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to make a pilgrimage here.

I’m new and trying to gauge the general value of each coin; how much do you typically charge for your refreshments, Lumi?

1 Like

Not Lumi, and it can vary from place to place, but a general rule of thumb is that a pint of beer is roughly 3-5 rings, cake is often 5-10 rings (depending on size).

2 Likes