Grimnir, Hospitals and Field medicine

Greetings all. As a new player, I thought it best to ask my questions ahead of getting to attatched to a character idea I have. They are all fairly related, firing away!:

1. Grimnir, as said by the wiki, are held by tradition behind the battles as a dead doctor heals no warriors. Does this mean a Grimnir character would not participate in any of the battles and would be in camp/a hospital all day?

2. The Anvil Hospital and a school of medicine was voted in by the senate yet there is not much information about it. I’ve seen various bits on the forum but would anyone be able to give me an accurate description of its role/mechanics? How did/does/will the hospital affect the “employability” of healer characters, does it benefit them and give them a new “base”, or does it reduce their workload as characters flock to a central health service?

3. Having not been before, I’m not very clear on the concept of field medicine. Would a healer player sit behind lines and heal away, or have a small mini base camp not far from the battlefeild?

Thanks in advance for your patience.
David

Hey there, Wintermark Grimnir here :slight_smile:

Grimnir swear an oath to stay clear of the front lines (taken from the archetypes page). We have people who take this to different extents. We have everything from people who stay off the battlefield entirely and in a hospital tent or at the edge of the portal to the battle (the Mark tends to use one of its tents as a hospital tent as well as assisting with the Anvil Hospital) to people who put on chain and grab a spear and go in second rank. It’s very versitile, most Grimnir tend towards being on the battlefield and healing/fighting, but not being on the front line.
TLDR: You can do battlefield healing, just from an RP perspective shouldn’t be a frontline fighter.

I can’t give an exactly accurate description of it, but I can tell you what I know. The hospital is a place for healing, it helps support the healers of the empire by providing a space for Healers to work and potential access to cures and Weirwood (this is a fairly rare/expensive resource used for upgrading herb gardens), it also keeps healers (and others) informed on what current ailments are likely to be affecting people after the battles and potentially how to treat them.
There are arguments for and against the hospital in terms of how it affects the “employablity” of healers, but those are IC concerns more than anything. On an OC Level the hospital does not detract from the healer game.

Move with the lines, rather than sit behind them but as yet I don’t think having a field hospital has happened (due to a variety of reasons, mostly because it’s fairly impractical to move the wounded to the healers rather than vice versa iirc).

Hope that helps.

[quote=“RainbowNexus”]Hey there, Wintermark Grimnir here :slight_smile:

Grimnir swear an oath to stay clear of the front lines (taken from the archetypes page). We have people who take this to different extents. We have everything from people who stay off the battlefield entirely and in a hospital tent or at the edge of the portal to the battle (the Mark tends to use one of its tents as a hospital tent as well as assisting with the Anvil Hospital) to people who put on chain and grab a spear and go in second rank. It’s very versitile, most Grimnir tend towards being on the battlefield and healing/fighting, but not being on the front line.
TLDR: You can do battlefield healing, just from an RP perspective shouldn’t be a frontline fighter.

I can’t give an exactly accurate description of it, but I can tell you what I know. The hospital is a place for healing, it helps support the healers of the empire by providing a space for Healers to work and potential access to cures and Weirwood (this is a fairly rare/expensive resource used for upgrading herb gardens), it also keeps healers (and others) informed on what current ailments are likely to be affecting people after the battles and potentially how to treat them.
There are arguments for and against the hospital in terms of how it affects the “employablity” of healers, but those are IC concerns more than anything. On an OC Level the hospital does not detract from the healer game.

Move with the lines, rather than sit behind them but as yet I don’t think having a field hospital has happened (due to a variety of reasons, mostly because it’s fairly impractical to move the wounded to the healers rather than vice versa iirc).

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Great, that clears a lot of things up.
Thanks very much RainbowNexus, Maybe I’ll see you there :slight_smile:

If you’d like to know more and speak with the lovely people running the Hospital you might also want to know about their facebook page

facebook.com/groups/102214859954151/

It was advertised on the old Empire FB page, but that has been replaced with this forum, so it might have been easy to miss.

:slight_smile:

The Imperial Solidarity page on the Empire wiki is quite useful as well as the Anvil Hospital page as well as their website with downloads created by very enthusiastic people:

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … f_Medicine

anvilhospital.co.uk/

A lot of it also depends on what sort of healer you want to be.

1st year I was a second line (horribly squishy, and no weapons) healer mage going through the gate and onto the battlefield. It’s fun, scary, exciting and exhausting. You do quite a bit of running around. You deal with picking up the fallen and getting them back on their feet the quickest and most expedient way possible. You dose them with herbs, either to their wound or down their neck, tell them to buck up and get moving, and please see a proper healer later. You tend to go through a lot of herbs and personal mana, as there often isn’t time for fancy stitching.

2nd year due to OC injury I helped at the hospital. It’s fun, scary, exciting and exhausting. You tend to stay put, if lucky next to a bench for your workspace, but grass will do. You get dumped on you (sometimes literally in your lap) some poor soul with some horrific injury (for details you start asking them what hurts and hope they give you the little laminated traumatic wound card with it’s tear off) and then you get to pull out your tools, and the fake blood and get their mates or yours to hold them down while doing whatever surgery seems advisable to you. Feel free to take your time, and allow the patient chances to scream, curse or pass out as preferred. Then you off load them back to their mates with warnings to take it easy for a bit.

Please note patients in both cases are recalcitrant, suicidally stupid, belligerent and generally not listening to a word of your very good advice. :smiley: