Guisers

Hi,

Are there guiser groups in the nation? I couldn’t make the event last weekend but I was reading the wiki and Dramaturgy really appealed to me. The League doesn’t sound like much fun at all, but I liked the hints of Dawn-ifying dramaturgy for rituals.

I have ideas that I’d like to discuss with people for practicality, but I don’t know any dawn guisers (or weavers). From the list of groups they are primarily noble houses, not magic-based groups.

I don’t know, League get to strut into the Dawnish camp, and name their combat ring the Glory Hole, find people lacking in quarrel~

Not quite the League-inspired drama I was talking about! :slight_smile:

I was more looking for Dawnish ritual teams. Either ones that are recruiting or anyone who’d be up for a chat about rituals.

You must have very carefully picked your moment to do so, as the Glory square was occupied by fighting most of the weekend. ;p

[quote=“HertsJ”]

Not quite the League-inspired drama I was talking about! :slight_smile:

I was more looking for Dawnish ritual teams. Either ones that are recruiting or anyone who’d be up for a chat about rituals.[/quote]

There’s no dedicated Ritualist only group in Dawn that I’m aware of. But some noble houses have covens within them. For instance, while our Group is House De Gauvain, the De Gauvain coven within that has ~dozen members so we’re not a small coven at all.
Several other houses are the same.

Our group rituals tend to involve choreography, haberdashery and occassionally music.

Coop’s rituals for De Rondell mostly involve him being hauled up for heresey :slight_smile:

[quote=“HertsJ”]Hi,

Are there guiser groups in the nation? I couldn’t make the event last weekend but I was reading the wiki and Dramaturgy really appealed to me. The League doesn’t sound like much fun at all, but I liked the hints of Dawn-ifying dramaturgy for rituals.

I have ideas that I’d like to discuss with people for practicality, but I don’t know any dawn guisers (or weavers). From the list of groups they are primarily noble houses, not magic-based groups.[/quote]

Of the top of my head:
The Crimson Petals of Whisphermere - Cross house summer/winter coven themed around romance
Moon’s and Stars - Night coven attached to one of the noble houses (I believe De Rondell)
Gauvain Coven - Large summer coven
Cabal of the 17 stars - small Night coven (I believe affiliated with Novarion or D’Acier)
And there are presently talks about a Seneschal’s coven forming, to deal with the inglorious stuff.

I think all of the existing ones are best described as weaver covens, rather than Guiser, although the Seneschals one is still being fleshed out and may veer that way.

I’m presently working on combining elements of dramaturgy, Dawnish hearth magic and mythic beasts to create a ritual style, hopefully this will actually see play next event (As I’ll actually be in a position to cast rituals.) I’d be more than willing to have conversations on the style of ritual practice and Dawn-ifying Dramaturgy.

Thanks, that’s very informative.

“inglorious stuff”? Sounds intriguing, and a little worrying. :smiley: I’m sure it’s fine.

It’s the Day realm that has me most interested, especially the mid-magnitude divinations - Eyes of the Sun and Moon, Eyes of the High Places, Swim the Leviathan’s depth etc. I’m not so sure they fit the nation, except perhaps a way to paint a target with a glory-flare. Vision and prophecy do feel quite in keeping with the questing mindset, but not so much the literal divinations of Day. Maybe more of a yeoman’s tool to support the nobility - is that the kind of thing the seneschals coven is for?

The biggest tweak I think I’d make if I was trying to do a Dawn version of Dramaturgy is to have a narrator, possibly a Troubadour, who paces the ritual. I know the system doesn’t require a lead ritualist, but I think it would work. I was thinking about having the narrator unmasked, and have them introduce the other contributors representing personas by masking them and announcing their persona to the audience: bringing girding into the ritual.

The main issue might would be finding the rest of the required magnitude in dawn, even with day 3 you are still 6-10 magnitude short for those rituals.) I don’t know of any day ritualists (Although baring in mind the seneschals one doesn’t have a realm yet.) There was someone asking about it ages ago on the facebook group but I haven’t heard from him since.

It’s not particularly dawnish but it’s also not actively working against the brief. We are a heavily fortified nation with three armies, the strategic level of those spells doesn’t seem absurd for a Dawnish advisor. Of course that places it firmly in the yeoman court (There again personally so does guising.)
You can always play up the vision and prophecy angle, rather than being clinical. You get the information you don’t have to deliver it like a Urizen merrow. If you tell a story about what you saw, speak about it in more romantic and dramatic language, it could work well.

The crimson petals managed to make winter feel really dawnish, so it’s not impossible.

A Troubadour style narrator makes sense. Although personally I’d lean away from masks (except possibly for mythical beasts*) it’s league hearth magic, and Dawn has a direct equivalent in girding (Both playing the anonymity and mistaken identity role). Where a league story would have the prince wearing a mask, Dawn would have the noble swap clothes with the retainer.
Trying to establish persona’s entirely by girding seems really dawnish, and probably with a preference for actual items rather than props. The league may be content to use a wooden sword, but in dawn carrying the blade of your house’s greatest knight could add strength to the persona and thus the ritual.

*The page on them suggests ritual uses and it just screams Dawn to me.

It doesn’t seem like a very popular Realm in the nation. Possibly the other person decided to try something else. I know that if I could convince as few as two people to try it with me we could comfortably hit the 15-20 range (with assists from Mastery, the Regio at anvil, and perhaps some potions/items). In fact the whole idea probably works best with a close-knit group (OOC).

[quote=“McGonigle”]It’s not particularly dawnish but it’s also not actively working against the brief. We are a heavily fortified nation with three armies, the strategic level of those spells doesn’t seem absurd for a Dawnish advisor. Of course that places it firmly in the yeoman court (There again personally so does guising.)
You can always play up the vision and prophecy angle, rather than being clinical. You get the information you don’t have to deliver it like a Urizen merrow. If you tell a story about what you saw, speak about it in more romantic and dramatic language, it could work well.

The crimson petals managed to make winter feel really dawnish, so it’s not impossible.[/quote]

Guising does feel exclusively Yeomany. With the possible exception of the troubadour: I think troubadours should probably be noble or at least knights-errant. Weaver cabals seem more mixed, with mainly yeoman but noble weavers not being out of place.

I had a mad and probably unworkable idea of having some kind of maypole setup to weave patterns on as the ritual. I have vague childhood memories of dances around the maypole with the steps of the dance driving the pattern which would appear. Logically with the right number of ribbons and a well-choreagraphed enough dance, it should be possible to weave the shapes of the runes onto the pole. It does seem a bit overambitious, fiddly and worst of all Marcher.

I know “can I come and watch” is a bit of a cliche in LRP, but I think it would be good for me to observe some rituals, and maybe join in play. If I’ve understood the rules correctly, it’s reasonable to keep a few XP back to spend in the event that I join a coven, on their realm.

Maypole is a great idea, but unless you want to break your dancers you stick to rotational symmetry so everyone is doing roughly the same.
That means trying to have different runes on different sides of the pole is out, but having the same runes repeated multiple times stacked up vertically should be doable - especially if you stick to two colours and have the ‘text’ colour significantly outnumbered by the ‘background’ colour in terms of ribbon numbers.

Not that I’ve ever been a morris dancer or similar, but the principle is similar to rope weaving - which I have done :smiley:

RE:Masks - “guisers” are Dawnish dramaturges - so I think masks are fine to use on stage? But I also suspect that for the ideal set-up your want Costumes more than masks - drawing on the Dawnish girding hearth magic that also has identity overtones. I think the dramaturgical roles mention common costumes, and it was always my intent to draw them out a bit for Dawn.

I should probably put a paragraph down about guisers somewhere some time soon. In my head they are the half-way house between rambunctious Marcher mummers and theater-haunting League h’actors. Travelling players rather than rude mechanicals, spreading tales of glory and wonder to the yeomanry one week and entertaining a bunch of nobles at a feast the next.

1 Like

Possibly the idea of including the “actors” preparing in the dressing room as part of the rite.

I gird thee in the techno robe of will d’gates and his wand of windows that he might scry unpn his foes

To thee i place in thy hands the apple of Mac the foe etc etc