Help for Nation Selection

No, you’re 100% affected by it. https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Nationality#Egregore

Okay, you have given me a lot to find out at the next event, thank you.

I see the Egregore bond as similar to a radio on in the background. It slowly moulds what you find amusing or interesting, what opinions you hold, what ideas you have, what plans you make. It’s pretty subtle, but everyone listening to the same channel (ie, each nation bonded to the same Egregore) is in a current of opinion to go the same way.

For instance, my next yeoman Dawnish character will be a League emigre. He’ll have naturally slipped into calling his old boss “Mi’Lord” instead of “Captain”, will defer to the nobles, and unconciously pick out clothes in the Dawnish style and cut. But as his crossbow is a family heirloom with strong emotions and a glorious tale attached, he’ll be holding on to that for many years…

Interestingly, this means that the Academy (composed of not-yet-citizens) should have the least attention to their national briefs.

Okay so there’s a lot going on in this thread, so I’m going to throw more stuff onto the fire. In alphabetical order, here’s a quick primer on a few things that might be useful for groups.

Brass Coast
Family - An extended group of Freeborn ranging into the hundreds, bound by blood or marriage. Led by whichever member takes up the title of Dhomiro who can range from a leader to a simple representative,
Kohan - Outcast warriors who band together under Hakima ritualists for the good of the nation.

Dawn
House - A collective of nobles under a shared heraldry and name, requiring a test to join regardless of birth. Led by an Earl, chosen by the house to lead it and set the tests required of Dawnish.
Weaver Cabal - Ritualists who undermine the nobility system by working together in the name of magic.
Knightly Order - Groups of nobles who act together in the name of their quest.

Highguard
Chapter - Groups of like-minded Highborn set up in fortified settlements, usually united in Virtue. Led by Exarchs, who are voted on as most Virtuous of their chapter.

Imperial Orcs
Legion - Backbone of the Imperial Orc armies, groups of battle-siblings who eat, drink, live, and die together out on campaign. Led by Warlords who are chosen as the best suited to lead the legion in battle.
Reavers - Mercenaries and raiders, ill-reputed but important in the task of funding the legions.

League
Guild - Collectives of Leaguefolk who work to outdo other guilds, and increase their standing. Led by Princes who are expected to lead the guild to prosperity, and in turn expect loyalty.
Free Company - Mercenary groups who are consummate professionals on the battlefield, and louts off of it.
Troupe - Theatre troupes who weave magic into their productions, fiercely competitive with other troupes.

Marches
Household - Collections of landowners who work together for their greater good. Led by Stewards who oversee the affairs and keep things in order.
Market Town - Populous settlements who focus on trade and artifice over farming, to the chagrin of the households.
Monastery - Large collectives of monks who ignore the bounds of the households to spread Virtue.

Navarr
Striding - Mobile groups of Navarr who travel together along the magical paths of the Empire.
Steading - Static groups of Navarr who work to support the stridings.
As and when leadership is needed, one of the group’s Brands is chosen to lead.

Urizen
Spire - Open-built settlements of like-minded Urizen, focused on a single purpose in most instances. Led by Arbiters who display the most closeness to perfection of the people.
Citadel - Specially built spires designed for war, more fortified and regimented than others.
Temple - Homes to the sword-scholars who tentatively work with the spires but refuse to live with them.

Varushka
Vale - Townships built in valleys, with proper roads in and out and a clear view on every side to watch for monsters. Led by iron-fisted but fair Boyars.
Outpost - Far more dangerous than vales, built on the edges of civilisation to support miners, guards, and foresters.

Wintermark
Hall - Small settlements dotted across the Wintermark territories, varied depending on region and tribe, with a variety of interests. Led by Thanes who are most often chosen from the Suaq and Steinr tribes by the wise folk of the Kallavesi tribe.
Frayed - Groups of Winterfolk who have broken away from their path in fate, intent on rejoining it. Often supported and led by Stormcrows who try to bring them back to the path.

The words you’re looking for are “Loyalty” and “Vigilance” rather than “Justice”. A motto of “We do not forgive” would land you firmly in the “suspicious-looking buggers” to my character, as well as most people who’d ran across a recent PC Justice/Vengeance sect.

Loyalty is about looking out for your people, having their backs, and exalting their achievements.
Vigilance is about aggressive self-defence rather than getting even. If someone’s already screwed you over, you’ve failed.

It’s Vigilant to go after them if they’re still presenting a threat, but “tracking down the orc commander who killed my mother’s and her entire unit” is definitely going into Vengeance territory. Whereas “Grinding the next orc commander who so much as LOOKS at my family in a funny way into a THIN RED PASTE”? That’s definitely on the Vigilance end of it.

The Justice/Vigilance thing could potentially be considered how you spin an act, especially given a recent Gatekeeper of Vigilance came out as a Justice heretic.

Yes, there’s some nice IC questions around intent there for the theologians.
But for an incoming group of new players, I’d rather point them straight to the middle of the brief. Because if you want to come into a new game actively playing a traitor, that’s great. Playing a traitor by accident is a recipe for furious OC backpedalling and loss of fun.

Sorry for the late reply, Profound limited my replies - weird for a forum but ok I guess.

The motto was based around the fact their entire Chapter was killed, they don’t forgive that their own people where killed. Loyalty is probably better. The motto was one we had agreed on as a group, based around our own ideals and our IC history. Also I didn’t mean to sound suspicious, not a bandit group simply a group of knight types who’ve hit the worst times ever. The loyalty thing about failing is part of their backstory, the fact they failed is hard boiled into their history. The failure is what drives my and my friend’s character, to not repeat it.

After some debate, we believe that the house would work better in Dawn. Do you guys agree with this?

When I read this initially I thought dawnish house, as others have said just be aware you need to make sure that your backstory fits within the lore, if you’ve any questions then ask them before you go with anything for certain!

yeah, thanks. The community here is really helpful! The best I’ve ever seen. Normally you get people who are all pretentious about their hobby and anyone new is a waste of time, but here you guys are really helpful and welcoming! :slight_smile:

I think Dawn might be a better for for you, as you seem to gravitate towards mobility and such. It would work I either nation though.

Do you already have costume and shields made up with your sigil etc?

Only thinking that the easiest way to make you Dawnish and definitely not Highborn is to swap out the black for bright red, or blue, or something. Keep the rest. If you’re not averse to switching your story a little, you could maintain that your bird symbol is a Firebird(sometimes shown as a great hawk according to the wiki) which works a bit better that a basic Raven for Dawn, but you don’t have to.

Look forward to seeing you in the field whatever you choose!

I think in the end you should look at what kind of feel you want from playing it rather than the look. In larp, strong emotions are important for interreacting with most people as it makes it obvious and easier to react to. As @CharlieP suggested, if nothing is already set in stone, maybe do a bit of chopping and changing.

If you are going for dawn may I make a suggestion for a change to the motto?

Lokk forward to seeing you guys too! We have costumes in mind Ill send you guys some links below:

My Armour

Gambison

Shield (with custom made cover)

and our sigil is designed above.

Welcome to Dawn then! You can go for a fairly dark look if offset with a few brighter colours. A sash, a cloak, a bright shirt under the dark armour, all little extras than can make a big difference.

I don’t think Black & Purple is a colour scheme around at the moment, although Purple & Silver is (House Vandale).

If you can manage it, shield covers or similar would look great. Purple cloth covering the front, elastic cord or ties holding it on across the back, and that raven stencilled on the front…?

I’ve got in touch with my school’s Design department, I’m stitching up a banner and shield covers soon after Christmas.

We get some issues with spammers, After a few weeks you will be fine.

If I might offer a different strand of advice, it might be worth looking again at how you have written your group background with a fresh intention. You’ve mentioned your desire to be published, and I think that has steered you down an unfortunate path here.
Background for characters and groups is not intended as a creative writing exercise. You could do so for your own benefits, but then I would strongly advise you to re-write a simpler version for submission to PD.

Thing is, the main reason background submissions exist is so that plot writers can keep them all on file, then see if any groups or characters fit a plot they might be introducing. So to make their lives easier, you don’t want to give them beautifully written prose. Ideally, give them bullet points with key facts.
So in your case, I would keep the piece you have written for your own files, but then go through it and extract key information which I could present in an easy to search format.
So for example:
*character X is [leader of house, title according to national tradition - eg earl or exarch], born in [year]
*former family members [list them if you like] killed by [tribe of barbarians] in [place]
*group now based in [territory]
*group colours are [as described]

That makes the lives of plot writers much easier. It is also a useful exercise for working out how fit for purpose your background is. What I try to remember is that the main purpose of a background is not for you to talk about it; to sound slightly harsh, it is a bit of a larp meme that people rarely want to spend ages hearing someone’s backstory. There’s no easy way to say this, but ‘my family were killed by barbarians’ is probably the most common story on the field, so it can be worth thinking of something with a bit more meat to it. Instead, I strongly recommend writing your background as a way to signpost the things you want to do at the game. If you can think of one key activity you want to do in uptime for those four weekends a year, seeding that in your background is a strong move.

The best way to do this is usually to start by deciding on a nation and then asking around or reading up on what might be a good thing to do there, then pushing that hard.

Given the description I would say go for Dawn. There is nothing to stop you going for a darker colour scheme. The bright and garish colours of Dawn are all about catching attention. Against such a colourful background, black might stand out quite nicely.

I know Orzel goes in for Black and Red (Admittedly more red than black) and I believe Tallstag is Green and Black.

If you still don’t fancy it, perhaps Highguard or the League would be more to your tastes. They tend to be less family based, with Highguard focusing on faith and League on coin. The Brass Coast is also a good choice, but tend to be even more colourful again! :blush:

If you are really worried about it maybe you could add some silver, gold, or another colour to lighten things up a bit?