Hi, need help with nations

Hi there,

I am a totally new person when it comes to LRP and Empire, so I am hopeing for a little help honestly. I have looked through all of the Nations and I am stuck picking one, I am torn with League, Wintermark and the Urizen. I like them all so it doesn’t matter all that much to me. What I am looking for and the thing that will decide it for me, is how friendly/welcoming each are in general. I just would like to join a friendly and willing to forgive someone just starting.

Any help would be great, even if its telling me i’m silly.

Thanks in advance

All of the nations are friendly, and no-one will be anything but open to you as a new player - so I’d focus more on ‘what is the coolest thing in this group of cool nations I’ve shortlisted’.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Now I’m only stuck between Wintermark and the League:P Thanks for any replies, really quite confused when it comes to Larp things.

I’d give some thought to practical considerations:
Look at the nation briefs and think about what kit you can get together. Or what you fancy making.
Joining an existing group, especially first time out, is very helpful. Knowing the nature of your group can help you decide on and flesh out your character concept. Your group might lend you kit and many of the logistics of playing in a field for three days are better shared. Do you already have friends in a group in one of the nations?
Ask about groups on the nation boards here and on Facebook - there will be plenty looking to recruit.
If you are looking to play a combatant it is helpful but not essential to have group members in the same area - practicing together is fun and pays off on the field.

It depends on what you mean by friendly as the League can be pretty cutthroat while in character and there are a few civil wars being fought both publically and privately (all in game you understand). This Is a good thing and there are plenty of groups with a lot of things going on that are looking for new people, mine included.

In Wintermark you will get more of a ‘everyone mixing and chatting as a band of warriors around the hearthfire’ vibe. This is also a good, but different, thing.

If you want the ultimate in community versus the world experience then have another look at Varushka.

I mean friendly out of character and willing to forgive mistakes, Where would I find the groups facebook pages, so I can take a look at them? I also have no friends who do empire, I’m flying solo sadly.

Kit wise I have a good idea of what I need for both wintermark and league so I’m not as worried about that.

I would be playing a combatant, so I ideally would like to join a group, any links would be appreciated. I think I will take a good look at the league groups/nation because I like the idea of the cutthroat and civil wars. :slight_smile:

facebook.com/groups/459784360702068/ should work.

Joining the relevant FB groups and having a mooch around through the posts there might give you a good indication of what people talk about :slight_smile:

If you’re thinking of playing a combatant in the League, the Compagnia De Rossi are always recruiting. We’re mercenaries and a military logistics guild. Really friendly, open and supportive group

Hi everyone, sorry to be a bother. Currently making my character on the website. Just stuck on the questions honestly, The “IC goals, what loyalties and where were you born” If someone could give me an example that would be great. Also for where was the guy born, can I put Temeschwar?

Thanks in advance.

I’d take a look at The League territories to help answer the “where were you born?” question and yes you can just say “Temeschwar”.

Loyalities wise some examples would be “myself”, “my group leader then The League followed by The Empire” or “The Virtue of Vigilance followed by The Empire” just think about who you are going to think is the most important when making decisions. Extra fun can be had by having multiple competing loyalties for added angst and drama :slight_smile:.

What are your IC goals is a much bigger question, this can be anything from “liberate Holberg” to “serve the virtue of Loyalty”, “Fortune and Glory”, the classic “Become Empress” or more practically “gain power in the League”, “become the richest person in the League”, “gain fame as a Bravo with many victories to your name”. Basically anything that will make game and isn’t a simple or easy thing to accomplish is a good answer here.

Depends on somewhat on what sort of thing you think you’d have fun with. Which I know is a big question to ask when you’re starting out and not sure. But for reference this is how I have fun:

I like being irrationally loyal to other characters who I know will drag my character into trouble. I like my character being pulled in multiple directions that way and I like both the roleplay that causes, the decisions my character is forced to make and the drastic actions that she eventually takes to help the people she loyal to. This might not be your game, but if it is, you might want to think about loyalties less in terms of “myself” and more in terms of what would bring you into conflict. Say if you were deeply loyal to the Synod as an institution but have ambitions of wealth beyond compare.

Firstly - it’s perfectly normal to not really know what to put in the boxes about goals and stuff - I’ve been LARPing 10 years and those questions made me feel silly too. My initial thought was “I dunno, that stuff I do at events, I wanna do the stuff I normally do that’s fun.” It’s hard to know what stuff you’ll enjoy until you hit the field and experience it. :slight_smile:

Loyalty is relatively simple - it’s about who you’d never betray - family, group-mates, the Cardinal of your favorite Virtue, the Empire, whoever gets elected Empress, yourself, nobody at all… It’s just trying to get you to think about the social links your character has, I think.

Goals are a bit more tricky, but can broadly be reduced to “pick a thing to achieve that you think might be fun” it’s trying to get you to think about your character’s aspirations, what makes them tick. It can range from stuff like “Gain an imperial position” to “Make the Empire prosper!” through things like “Be rich enough to pay a guy to dance for my amusement” right down to stuff like “Be able to afford a cool magical sword” and “Kill someone and not get caught”. It’s to help motivate you to get up and get stuck in IC - any moments where you’ve nothing to do, or you’re a bit cold and bored, you can think about things your character wants to achieve and then head off to go make them happen :slight_smile:

Goals don’t have to be overly big or indeed worthy and good - they are anything your character aspires to, things they want in life.

My current character’s goals are stuff like: Be a General, secure the Empire from Barbarians, make the Empire strong and rich.

My next character’s goals are stuff like: Look fabulous at all times, never have mud on my robes, teach people to respect the Poise, be badass.

Hi, there are always a few groups within the League recruiting new blood. If you’re looking for a bunch of oddballs then the Carta Bellamarina might be of interest. We’re a Sarvos based cartel with a strong Loyalty bent and nautical theme, trying to recover from a series of disasters which have befallen it over the last 30 years, including an internal civil war, the loss of the Guild Headquarters in a flood, and more recently the loss of much of their military wing during recent campaigns against the barbarians.

We’re cetainly open to newcomers and characters from any of the League cities who are wanting to pull themselves up by thrir bootstraps. Our website can be found at bellamarina.coraline.org .

We’ve had a variety of new larpers in Urizen; we had one in my group, and she’s had an absolute whale of a time. We might look unfriendly and standoffish to outsiders - much like Navarr, although from the ‘snob’ rather than the ‘inverted snob’ angle - but our nation is as warm and friendly as any provided you’re part of it, or otherwise sufficiently cultured (that is: a mage). Our big cultural tic is that we don’t shake hands, we bow; our big cultural attitude is that we are the most civilised and competent of nations (but aren’t they all?)

Urizen kit can be slightly intimidating, but actually isn’t that hard - mine is based on a fake sheikh outfit without the head-dress, and then you just keep adding bathrobe-shaped things of light material until you’re satisfied and tie the whole thing with as broad a sash as you can get away with. Martial arts gear is also very popular among those of us who go to war. Compared to the other nations, our kit is the easiest to get away with modern fabrics in (maybe tied with Brass Coast), and our national brief is absolutely an excuse to festoon the camp with little LED glowing things.

Also, Poise is hilarious. It’s actually hilarious. It’s not about having rigor mortis of the face: it’s about only showing emotion if it would be useful to show emotion. There was a wonderful episode in Conclave last event where the Urizeni archmage of Summer started a speech at normal volume and suddenly completely lost his shit and screamed at the assembled Conclave.

[quote=“Iulian”]We’ve had a variety of new larpers in Urizen; we had one in my group, and she’s had an absolute whale of a time. We might look unfriendly and standoffish to outsiders - much like Navarr, although from the ‘snob’ rather than the ‘inverted snob’ angle - but our nation is as warm and friendly as any provided you’re part of it, or otherwise sufficiently cultured (that is: a mage). Our big cultural tic is that we don’t shake hands, we bow; our big cultural attitude is that we are the most civilised and competent of nations (but aren’t they all?)

Urizen kit can be slightly intimidating, but actually isn’t that hard - mine is based on a fake sheikh outfit without the head-dress, and then you just keep adding bathrobe-shaped things of light material until you’re satisfied and tie the whole thing with as broad a sash as you can get away with. Martial arts gear is also very popular among those of us who go to war. Compared to the other nations, our kit is the easiest to get away with modern fabrics in (maybe tied with Brass Coast), and our national brief is absolutely an excuse to festoon the camp with little LED glowing things.

Also, Poise is hilarious. It’s actually hilarious. It’s not about having rigor mortis of the face: it’s about only showing emotion if it would be useful to show emotion. There was a wonderful episode in Conclave last event where the Urizeni archmage of Summer started a speech at normal volume and suddenly completely lost his shit and screamed at the assembled Conclave.[/quote]

maaaaaaan I wish I’d seen that :smiley: