Highguard magic - winter rituals only?

This was the only real mention of magic that I could find. Does that mean a person would be going off brief if they played any other kind of Highguard magic user? It isn’t explicitly mentioned, but I kind of assume there are a lot of Highguard priest-mages in the Sevenfold Path order of the conclave.

I was thinking primarily in terms of battefield magic, more support incantations (Mend/Restore/Heal/Empower) than damaging (Venom/Repel/Paralyse/Weakness) or rituals. Are there significant numbers of battlefield magicians in the nation?

Most of the covens are Winter. That said other Realm users exist. Lots of other Realm rituals have Highguard magister flavour text, both positive and negative.

There’s actually a fair spread, but Winter has the strongest representation that I’m aware of.

My character is a battlefield Mage healer and prattles on about how people’s virtue overcomes their wounds and poisons with his spells - very Highguard I’ve been told :slight_smile: Plus I’ve seen plenty of other Highborn priests and Magisters with spells on the battlefield.

OC: Henry Who Hates Forums

IC: Brother Jared of the Suns of Couros Chapter, Highguard; Steward of the Dead, Magister of Winter, Cardinal of the Path of Loyalty

One reason Highborn ritualists favour winter magic because if we have to deal with any eternals, the winter lot don’t hide the fact that they are cruel, evil, monsters etc, unlike the rest. So we are slightly more comfortable, but we still don’t like it.

I am also a battlefield mage healer, who takes this approach to ritual magic:

Having seen the results of rituals going wrong, I’ll stay at the minimum recommended safe distance and wait for it to finish and, if need be, help repair the survivors.

I’m a Magister healer in the Autumn realm, taking a very careful track not to meet any eternals if I can help it.

Mostly chosen for the rituals as the congregation boost and the bulk Mend ritual are on the Autumn list.

The cenotaph has a largely Day ritual group we discussed various magic’s to help us do what our Chapters aims were and winter and Day (and others came up) for various reasons we ended up mainly day. So I do not think you have to do winter but winter is the one Highguard like for various reasons one being that the eternals are seen to be more honest.

The Magical Traditions are 100% just suggestions - while Highguard does Winter quite well as a nation, it also has ritual teams that do all the other rituals too - I have no doubt at all that Atun and Atuman (fer example) were Day magicians. Winter has lots of themes that fit Highguard well - death, ghosts, wards, promises and the like. It’s also the magic of age and conservatism and the like.

i’d do what seems fun, but look at the Magical Traditions page for inspiration and ways to make (say) your Night coven feel more “Highborn” - veils, bowls of water, quiet voices chanting, candles and so on work just as well for any magic realm ritual :wink:

[quote=“Mara”]One reason Highborn ritualists favour winter magic because if we have to deal with any eternals, the winter lot don’t hide the fact that they are cruel, evil, monsters etc, unlike the rest. So we are slightly more comfortable, but we still don’t like it.

Having seen the results of rituals going wrong, I’ll stay at the minimum recommended safe distance and wait for it to finish and, if need be, help repair the survivors.[/quote]

[quote=“CharlieP”]I’m a Magister healer in the Autumn realm, taking a very careful track not to meet any eternals if I can help it.

Mostly chosen for the rituals as the congregation boost and the bulk Mend ritual are on the Autumn list.[/quote]

See, I’d quite like to go out actively seeking Eternals. Talk to them, get to know them. And publish my findings as a series of religious pamphlets explaining how awful they are: providing appropriate moral lessons and/or calls for Declarations of Enmity. Some combination of the archivist and wayfarer archetypes, perhaps? I’m not sure how viable it is to actively seek out Eternals (or even their heralds).

I am unlikely to be able to turn up with a coven. The magic of the Empire interests me, but I wonder what I’d be able to do alone. Joining an extant group IC is also possible, but I’d rather join a group if I knew the players or characters in advance than go in cold.

As to the minimum safe distance my first major LRP group, in Curious Pastimes, had an expression. “Ritual magic: Just Say No.” :smiley:

Going in with open rituals mastered slots or spare xp and finding a coven you might join in play is a definite option.
Compiling a list of Eternals and Heralds and how they think sounds excellent fun. Provided you are not looking for specific Heralds you tend to be able to hunt them down quite easily.

I’m reasonably sure if you ask around you’ll be able to find like minded souls in Highguard and Covens always like an extra member so joining one in game is very doable.

And while the majority of mages I’m aware of in Highguard have support roles on the battlefield, we have our share of staff and rod and shield battlemages too.

I look forward to seeing you in play :slight_smile:

[quote=“HertsJ”]

[quote=“Mara”]One reason Highborn ritualists favour winter magic because if we have to deal with any eternals, the winter lot don’t hide the fact that they are cruel, evil, monsters etc, unlike the rest. So we are slightly more comfortable, but we still don’t like it.

Having seen the results of rituals going wrong, I’ll stay at the minimum recommended safe distance and wait for it to finish and, if need be, help repair the survivors.[/quote]

[quote=“CharlieP”]I’m a Magister healer in the Autumn realm, taking a very careful track not to meet any eternals if I can help it.

Mostly chosen for the rituals as the congregation boost and the bulk Mend ritual are on the Autumn list.[/quote]

See, I’d quite like to go out actively seeking Eternals. Talk to them, get to know them. And publish my findings as a series of religious pamphlets explaining how awful they are: providing appropriate moral lessons and/or calls for Declarations of Enmity. Some combination of the archivist and wayfarer archetypes, perhaps? I’m not sure how viable it is to actively seek out Eternals (or even their heralds).

I am unlikely to be able to turn up with a coven. The magic of the Empire interests me, but I wonder what I’d be able to do alone. Joining an extant group IC is also possible, but I’d rather join a group if I knew the players or characters in advance than go in cold.

As to the minimum safe distance my first major LRP group, in Curious Pastimes, had an expression. “Ritual magic: Just Say No.” :smiley:[/quote]

If you want to activly seek them out, it is good to get to know the Archmages, as they probably have a better idea about which Heralds are visiting or due to be visiting, though there will be ones who turn up unexpectedly.

[quote=“Mark_Wilkin”]And while the majority of mages I’m aware of in Highguard have support roles on the battlefield, we have our share of staff and rod and shield battlemages too.

I look forward to seeing you in play :slight_smile:[/quote]

There is also the tradition of: full-on ritualist at Anvil; full-on cataphract on the battlefield.

OC: Henry Who Hates Forums

IC: Brother Jared of the Suns of Couros Chapter, Highguard; Steward of the Dead, Magister of Winter, Cardinal of the Path of Loyalty

see I would describe that as full on ritualist full on Guardian but that is semantics basically anyone can wear heavy armour and use a 1 handed weapon and a buckler so quite a few ritualists do this.

Also ritualists work best in groups so if you are not interested in any particular lore then come in as mage find a ritual group in play and then learn your ritual magic to fit.

Another alternative is if you take a focused ritualist you can start of being able to solo some rituals. I started as all my points in ritual magic with the intention to solo rituals to start with and slowly get more of my coven to do my lore as initial plan was we were going to concentrate on a different lore. This changed once we started playing.

But there is quite a lot of mileage you can get with level 8 and lower rituals as these are all solo able (even if you have to use the region)

I believe in highguard we have most realms represented I can think of 3 realms we have well represented I believe and think we have smatterings of the others.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the support. I’ll keep that all in mind. I won’t be able to get to the May event (due to exams), but I’ll try and make July.

In the meantime I might practice writing a pamphlet or two. If I was out Wayfaring in Asavea for the last couple of years I can be both a little out of touch and make stuff up that’s unlikely to be contradicted!

[quote=“HertsJ”]Thanks for the support. I’ll keep that all in mind. I won’t be able to get to the May event (due to exams), but I’ll try and make July.

In the meantime I might practice writing a pamphlet or two. If I was out Wayfaring in Asavea for the last couple of years I can be both a little out of touch and make stuff up that’s unlikely to be contradicted![/quote]

Sounds good! Do remember the +1 Lore from using the Imperial Regio - if it doesn’t matter where you do the ritual, your lore goes further, so for example a lore 1 character can cast a Magnitude 4 Summer buff if they have it mastered.

(As an aside - Wayfaring in Asavea is an excellent character background choice to have some stuff to talk about. :smiley: Whether you speak the language or had to use translators, there’re sure to be some stories you can make up for that one…)