How to be more loyal?!

How do you display a commitment to the way of loyalty in your role play?

Is it something you just know and keep to yourself, a smug satisfaction that your character is loyal or do other people comment on it also?

Just musing…

In my reading/viewing and opinion being loyal can be demonstrated to other people, but you can also keep it to yourself. it all depends on what you feel comfortable with doing. you can range your commitment from leaping to defend them at every turn either during conversation or on the battle field to just quietly standing there giving your support by your mere presents. as written one of the teaching is “Loyalty is not displayed by words or deeds alone, but by the unity of both”

It depends on the character and the characterisation. What are they loyal to? The Empire? Their group? Another person? The obvious one is refusing to let people die/leave them behind. But while this may be the heroic thing to do, is it a display of loyalty? Risking more lives for corpses (or could be corpses).
I think a bigger question is what to do outside of combat, I always view self sacrifice to be a big thing, if your character is doing something that hurts him in one way or another but benefits the focus of your loyalty, then that is both personal and demonstrable in RP (because you can be as vocal or as tight lipped as you like about it). E.g. a lot of herbs get dished out to healers going on missions for free, it’s hurting the person owning them because they aren’t;t getting a return, and benefitting someone else by increasing their usefulness and likelihood of success on the mission. That is of course just one example.
The other possibilities is dobbing in less loyal, or moving in machiavellian and at times seemingly ruthless ways to ensure the greater achievement of something that you believe will make things better, but that’s the fun, someone else might not agree with you, and move against you for the exact same feelings of loyalty.

You could also get your priests of loyalty to give anointings, etc. etc. RP effects are big and clever.

I think my character should have been ordained into the path of Loyalty - I was taken into the path of Pride instead and it doesn’t really suit my character.

In short, he’s a household guard who stood by his boss until the aging thane finally said “Go guard my sons instead, there’s nothing for you here.” So now he does that. And serves drinks in a bar.

Loyalty is something that is very hard to recognise unless looked for - or if it is displayed in an environment where there is none. A lot of people work very hard at their jobs but its unlikely they will ever be thanked, even by their workmates, for the loyalty they demonstrate.

But loyalty isn’t about being thanked.

There’s something dour, obstinate and grim about loyalty. In fiction its often the sole redeeming feature of an ugly or incompetent companion. I think the best way to show loyalty is simply to remain consistent through the thick and the thin - it becomes more apparent during the bad times. It’s not exactly a showman’s art.

Definately go bother your nation’s members of the Assembly of Loyalty about this as I’m sure they’d love to help you out, failing that grab your nation’s priests of the Way. If you’ve got neither go and bother the Assembly of Loyalty about why your nation doesn’t have enough pilgrims of loyalty (demonstrating your loyalty to your nation and the Empire :slight_smile:).

definitely agreeing with mark here. (we really need a like button… just saying) to qualify or probably change what I’ve already said. Loyalty is all about the undertaking, you’ve been given a task so you go and do it and stick with it until done. you support people that you have said you will no matter what else is happening. loyalty is about sticking to something through thick and thin. It may be recognised but it generally more likely won’t. The cases when it will be recognised are the exceptions, such as finding a lack of pilgrims in a nation and bring it to peoples attention and then leading the effort to change that situation,

Also sometimes as said it seems to be used solely as the redeeming feature, “He/she is ugly/stupid/incompetent but loyal” but equal it can be used to make a deed or alternative virtue greater. “he/she shared his prosperity with their kin instead of just keeping it for themselves because they felt great loyalty towards them and wanted to show their love to them”.

I have at least one idea for the upcoming year, “Lifting for Loyalty.” Most of the details though I’ll save for the field.

Aside: do note that Prosperity necessitates using what you get in one way or another to spread things around, so many of the more Prosperous people will be doing that anyway once they run out of nice things to get themselves. :slight_smile:

All very good comments! I quite like the idea of doing the dirty work to keep whatever it is you are loyal to on the right path. The morally ambiguous action for the greater good.

To me, Loyalty can be summed up with the phrase “Loyalty Builds”. To be Loyal you must either pick or know the target of your loyalty and then build them up or inspire others to follow you in your endeavours to strengthen that which you believe in. Both the follower and the leader can be Loyal, which makes Loyalty different from the other Virtues.

I agree with everything else written here so far and would only add that a priest of Loyalty’s role is to guide people in seeing where their loyalties lie and encourage them to be true to those bonds. However, equally important is their role in helping people manage their loyalties so they do not conflict. This is on top of their own loyalties which they follow / support as a pilgrim of Loyalty. As a result, I’d definitely recommend finding a priest of loyalty IC for some good RP!

OC: Henry Who Hates Forums

IC: Brother Jared of the Suns of Couros Chapter, Highguard; Steward of the Dead, Magister of Winter, Cardinal of the Path of Loyalty

Words cannot express my excitement about Lifting For Loyalty, and I don’t even know what it is!

I also have an idea that I need to make a point of implementing this year, which I will make sure everyone knows about IC.

Also, you should get massive tattoos and walk around with no shirt on to show them off. I hear that’s what all the cool Loyalty Pilgrims do :wink:

I also wish to endorse Mark Wilkin’s comment.

One of the reasons that the wiki is not prescriptive in “How to be X” is to encourage people to seek out priests IC and roleplay with them. This reinforces the role of the priest as a spiritual authority figure, and should be game-additive roleplay.

This also means that a charismatic and motivated priest can promote their vision/interpretation of “How to be X” against that of other priests. It’s theology, innit.

Tattoos are in the brief…

OC: Henry Who Hates Forums

IC: Brother Jared of the Suns of Couros Chapter, Highguard; Steward of the Dead, Magister of Winter, Cardinal of the Path of Loyalty

[quote=“hjgsullivan”]

Tattoos are in the brief…[/quote]

Indeed so! <3 the Marked. But your comment suggests you haven’t yet had the full Luiz experience. I shall have to fix that at Easter :wink:

[quote=“DanielW”]I also wish to endorse Mark Wilkin’s comment.

One of the reasons that the wiki is not prescriptive in “How to be X” is to encourage people to seek out priests IC and roleplay with them. This reinforces the role of the priest as a spiritual authority figure, and should be game-additive roleplay.

This also means that a charismatic and motivated priest can promote their vision/interpretation of “How to be X” against that of other priests. It’s theology, innit.[/quote]

Totally, my character travels with one all the time virtually!

Was just musing as to how other people are playing/doing it!

Looking forward to getting more into the virtue game…

Also, the absolutely best way to demonstrate one’s Loyalty to the Empire is to give cookies and/or brownies to civil servants.

Seems legit.

Hmph! Given they have the best area to operate out of their circular loyalty love in must be working…

As a rather more on topic take on it. I think Loyalty is a motivation that can act as the engine behind any deed. From over protective smothering behavior to a crazed stalker that kills all their idols enemies yet never approaches them directly to assassinating a poor an Emperor/ess or senator or whatever. I think Loyalty lends itself better to deeds, the more unremarked the more effective it would be in my opinion than extravagant declarations or words.

It is pretty easy to play Loyalty as me and mine are fine but everyone else is inferior but I think that disregards a lot of the potential subtleties and nuances into a sort of caricature.

I personally think there is a lot be said for knowing what you are loyal to, and declaring it openly.
I am a proud member of tattoos club, having read that and decided to run with it. Current tattoos include a chain, a bell, a wave, and a horse. Not necessarily in that order.
There are also some fun questions about different types of loyalty. Loyalty to a person, loyalty to an ideal, loyalty to an institution, loyalty up, loyalty down, loyalty sideways. All have their place, and if this conversation proves anything, its that Barachel needs to talk to more loyalty priests in all that copious free time he clearly has.

Ataraxia I think if you are looking to discuss IC the path of loyalty, and if it best for you why don’t we arrange a meeting at the next event so we can talk it over and maybe help you choose the virtuous path best suited for you. PM me for a time so we don’t clog up the forum.

THIS also goes for anyone else who would like to discuss there Virtuous path(s), obviously I am on the path of loyalty so my natural bias is in that direction but this does not mean I am blind to all others, so get in touch people.