IC substitute for bubble wrap?

So I’m storing and letting fragile items in wooden boxes but don’t want them getting damaged. Any ideas for what to use that is suitable for use in anvil?

Cloth in some form or other. Our various lamps and such are layered up in a chest with the throws, bunting and tea towels we’re bringing anyway. I’ve seen hessian used similarly. Most of it’s about the packing, making sure things are wedged securely but not too crammed.

4 Likes

Unspun fleece.

Straw.

3 Likes

Shredded paper? Straw is a real good shout though

1 Like

Yeah, I’m planning to sell them off for a good amount so they need to look nice inside.

Find someone who makes kits, use their fabric offcuts which are too small to make into anything useful?

Lots good suggestions already, especially rags and straw. If you find somewhere doing sheepskin off-cuts for small monies, that might also be worth a look.

1 Like

Sheep wool is a good shout. I’ll have a look around.

How do you think I should seal a class lid to a glass bottle? Sellotape?

Already said it yourself: “seal” - wax

Will that work for like a glass perfume bottle?

Yes you can seal a lid on with wax, and that’s relatively easy to remove in the field too. Candle wax will work, although getting it to dribble nicely is a bit hit and miss. if you can get sealing wax (meant for letters) that will dribble better and dry quicker with a better seal, and retain it’s colour which makes it all look fancier.

1 Like

You can get a good buffering effect using decent-size sheets of thin paper like tissue paper. Its low-impact, fairly cheap, less messy than straw and less likely to attract pests than fur, wool or cloth.

• Crumple the sheet into a ball first, then open it out again, but don’t smooth it - this gives you wrinkles which hold more air for a better cushioning effect.
  • You can make long cushions by making small folds along the length to form a ruff-type structure, then twist it into a cylinder and twist both ends to keep it together. Pack around the sides of things.
  • You can make flat cushions by grabbing the four corners together at the back, and then rolling the sides inwards to form a vaguely circular cushioned pad. Then pack these in around the object, or on top of each object to layer things in a box.
  • Add tissue cushions until your objects can shift slightly when in the box, but no more - if you overfill the container the cushions get compressed and lose effectiveness.

We use this technique with A2/A3 sheets of acid-free tissue to protect museum objects where I work.

1 Like

I would saw straw however as someone who has Hay-fever it may not be ideal. However you can buy synthetic straw which is what they use in most hampers at Christmas.

I can get hold of sheeps wool but would that put more people off than straw?

Depends if its been treated and cleaned?

1 Like

Also an animal product which may turn away some of the vegan folks of which there are a good few at Empire. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. That’s what’s running through my mind straw and wool would look better, but then there’s hay fever and people who don’t like animal products.

1 Like

We’re in a field. Hayfever is generally a given unfortunately so your addition of straw isn’t going to make much difference! Does also have the benefit over wool that you can burn the leftovers.

I pack my few breakables with fabric - cheap teatowels are useful both as packing and once in camp.

1 Like

Charlie, not sure if you suffer from Hayfever or not? But there is a difference between being in a field and having to actively handle a Hayfever inducing product. I assure you it’s no fun! It can also lead to some very serious reactions!