Improved resources and death

What happens to a resource that has been upgraded when the PC that owned it dies? Can it be willed to another character?

if this is the case, I will spend the first few years dying and inheriting my new income of resources…

I’m pretty sure this has been discussed on here already, I can’t find the exact post but if I remember right the upshot of it was that if you can find an IC solicitor to write up a will, and you have that will signed off by a civil servant, you could theoretically leave your upgraded resource to another player character in the system (as long as this other character survives whatever killed you!) and it would replace the one they have as you can only have one resource at a time.

I think that IC banks were involved as they would keep the will safe in a safety deposit box, and then it’d be down to the solicitors to carry out your last will,

As with anything though. if you email PD you’ll get a definite answer rather than my vague one :slight_smile:

Anyone know the name of a good, dodgy, solicitor?.. and an assassin?

Here’s one for you; can you lose your personal resources while gambling?

I was of the understanding that on the website with all the rules on it, the inheritance of resources by dead characters’ mates is specifically prohibited.

I could of course be wrong. But as Bucklund says, thats a game-breaker if I am.

I’m not sure about inheritance, however, it is clear that you can only ever have 1 resource.

I suspect inheritance, etc. would in effect be regulated by:

All quotes from - profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … e_overview

1 Like

Stepping aside the fact that there’s no way we’d let you transfer a resource from one character to your own next character, how exactly would you garner any kind of increase in resources from doing so?

Note on inheritance from the wiki

Inheritance and thus leaving of a will isn’t a thing in the Empire.

My understanding is that in effect, you don’t own your personal resource. You just manage it on behalf of the Empire.
So when you die, the management of your improved resource can/will pass to another imperial citizen, which may or may not be another PC somewhere.

Certainly when members of my group died last year in possession of improved resources, I was able to retain possession of those improved resources (within the group) by appeal to the civil service (via email to PD). In effect, the management of the improved resource was passed to another within the group - at the expense of their current resource… but this was by arrangement with the civil service rather than by default.

DHosein, You seem to have contradicted yourself there… you say you can’t do it and then give an example of when you have, showing once again PD are awesome when you ask nicely!

So in other words,
*it looks like you can leave your improved resource to another player on your death,
*there’s a 2 crown charge for doing so,
*you can only have one personal resource at a time, so it would replace the one you have
*leaving it to your next character is sleazy, but another living player character in the field is ok,
*and by having the agreement of all involved a civil servant can sort out the IC paperwork for it! (and doing it by email when PD are less busy might be the best way… you can always bank those two crowns so they’re available during downtime.)

The inheritance thing on the Wiki is only mentioned on the ‘How to submit a background’ page, is there to pre-empt a player from thinking they can start a new character who has a claim to a title they didn’t earn IC or ask the background team to give them more starting goodies, rather than limiting the player led plot that could come from challenging a last will and testament.

Come on, it could be a lot of fun for a criminal type to leave stuff to a well respected politician or religious head of state in their will. Imagine the reaction when people find out where it came from!!!

(DreddPirateBob, find me IC… I might know a guy who knows a guy, )

taps nose

This needs a proper clarification from PD I think, it might be one of things that’s under discussion at the moment before they update the wiki.

[quote=“DHosein”]Note on inheritance from the wiki

Inheritance and thus leaving of a will isn’t a thing in the Empire.

My understanding is that in effect, you don’t own your personal resource. You just manage it on behalf of the Empire.
So when you die, the management of your improved resource can/will pass to another imperial citizen, which may or may not be another PC somewhere.

Certainly when members of my group died last year in possession of improved resources, I was able to retain possession of those improved resources (within the group) by appeal to the civil service (via email to PD). In effect, the management of the improved resource was passed to another within the group - at the expense of their current resource… but this was by arrangement with the civil service rather than by default.[/quote]

Oh you did?
Good!
(is one of those who died :mrgreen: )

Yes leaving it to yourself or someone you know is sleazey…

Upgrading a resource takes Exp points - I believe - So really it should be reduced to the same level as the Inheritor.

Besides surely any new character can simply be played as the new owner of the last resource, and spend the same amount of exp on it!

No, I’m afraid you are pretty far off the mark.

Upgrading only costs in character resources in direct connection the the resource you want to upgrade. If it cost exp then it would be a tax on player rather than using other in character resources such as money to or trade to achieve the same reult it would almost be at the same end of the spectrum as ooc cash for IC gain.

The reason as I understand for people to be able to pass along resources is purely driven by story and fun. It is more fun to be left control of the House Guard, the former Thegns troops, the wise old mentors garden or some other in keeping thing. Passing a much loved and upgraded resource along is very much in keeping with Empires meritocracy system it encourages people to pass it along to those that will use it best in the service of the Nation. After all there is nothing stopping you deeding things outside of your group or even Nation as far as I’m aware.

I’m off to look it up!

Personally I’d feel it was metagaming if you leave it to your next character it just means your taking the best of the old stuff and getting to play the new with a hell of a lot of help. So for example.

Character A) Level 6 Fleet, He goes into battle and takes a terminal, dies a heroic death. the will says Character B gets it.

Character B) borrows 2 crowns from his friends and as such gets his new resource which is a level 6 fleet. Straight away next event he picks Keirheim Jotun Port to raid, straight away he gets 2 weltsilver, 5 orichalcum, 4 ambergelt, 2 marrowort, 4 bladeroot, 3 dragonbone and 48 rings, which with 18 rings means 66 rings.

This would mean the character hasn’t worked to get those things. Why would they be entitled to it not to mention they could have bourse positions and the rest of it.

Just one thing to consider about leaving your resource to your next character. Has anyone actually ever done it?

I would be interested to know how it is possible to leave a set of resources in a will to a character that does not exist at the time? Surely Character A cannot declare they will leave their resources to Character B seeing as Character B is non-existent until A dies?

DANGER - OPINION ONLY

There’s a conflict here between IC and OOC. I might have a brother. I might roleplay about that brother on the field - and to all intents and purposes that brother is “real” (for a given LRP value). I make out a will and lodge it somewhere, naming my brother as my beneficiary. When I die, I might come back into play as my own brother. I have the will saying that the I want the “Fields of Festelon” to transfer to me. I might pay a handling fee and get the fields of festelon. There’s only minimal difference between this and willing my resource to someone on the field who then transfers it to me.

I’m not judging this one way or another, just pointing out that In Character it makes sense to leave something to a character who is notionally, rather than physically, in existence.

It’s also worth noting that, unlike Maelstrom (for example), this is an IC thing not an automated OOC thing. As such, it is prone to all the hiccups and excitements that accompany any IC transaction.

[quote=“Paul_Cat”]DHosein, You seem to have contradicted yourself there… you say you can’t do it and then give an example of when you have, showing once again PD are awesome when you ask nicely!

[/quote]

No contradiction. Inheritance would suggest that the title to the resources in question passed to a new owner either through a descendant or relative by default, or to a person chosen by the previous now-deceased title holder. This wasn’t the case.

My group’s situation was that we lost characters (and players) through a death - the titles to these resources then passed to the Empire. The deceased had no say in what happened to their resources. I simply petitioned the Civil Service as our group leader to retain those improved resources within the group and they said yes.

Inheritance would imply that the civil service wouldn’t have had the option to say no - and the resources would have passed on to those of the deceased holders’ choices.

Considering how long that it seems to take resources to generate a decent return on investment, I’m hopeful that willing control of resources to other players will be a thing the Civil Service listens to. Because upgrades cost expensive materials, it’s likely there’s a group effort behind upgrading them unless you’re shit-hot at trading. Which means that the group has a strong incentive to pick a PC who’ll live for a good few years to take that upgrade. If it becomes reasonably easy to will resources to PCs, we’ll have a system that doesn’t lead to incentives to put the group’s noncombat artisan in charge of the biggest Military Unit.

I don’t see why you should have to “earn” the right to a resource upgrade twice. The resource exists, the upgrade was earned by buying Wains of Stuff. Someone dies, the resource gets a new custodian. it might as well be someone who lives near it. So, a group member. This way you can have Corsair Fleet led by a succession of daring captains who Courageously led the charge, but died with valour. Groups become economically strong or Army-scale useful by the group surviving as an organisation, not by having a few safe bets hold on to the double-upgraded mana sites.

I don’t see the problem with the few players who’ll regen into the same group with their old resource. OK, so they get nominal control of a bigger pile of beans. It doesn’t affect me one bit and it’s probably going towards their group efforts anyway if it’s heavily upgraded. I’d feel more cheated by effort that several PCs put into doing the few upgrades they can afford simply vanishing due to the bad luck of their Resource Guy getting VENOMed to death.