In Character Time Question

I was just wondering how play time works in the field. It says on the website that it only lasts for some three hours each day, but continues in certain areas. Does that mean if I walk into Anvil town square at six o clock in the evening people will still be doing things IC?

Time in is 18:00 to 01:00 on Friday, 10:00 to 01:00 on Saturday, and 10:00 to 15:00 on Sunday. The entire IC field is IC during this time.

The Senate building is always IC.

Between 01:00 and 10:00, you can continue to roleplay, but don’t perform any actions which require rules support, and don’t expect others to be IC.

3 Likes

I think it’s only the major morning battles that last for 3 hours a day and even that is ish.

Some of that time is taken getting ready for it, rituals, sermons, anointings, getting into armour, battle plans etc, and some fallout after everyone is back, political, medical and general recovery. The Sentinel Gate that the Heroes go through to fight the battle is opened at 11am to about 12.30, everything else before and after happens in Anvil.

Are there any other IC areas that you can go to after 1 in the afternoon except on a Sunday? It just seems like quite a short time to do all the in character stuff

That’s 1am in the morning, it’s basically the whole day on Saturday, 6pm-1am on Friday and 10am-3pm on Sunday.

There are a bunch of “off field encounters” which you go through the sentinel gate to get to, which you can read about here >> https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Sentinel_Gate

2 Likes

Ooh right, thanks, that makes more sense XD

1 Like

How does the gate actually work by the way? I mean, it can’t actually teleport players, so how do you get to the place it takes you to?

You walk through it to the field on the other side of the hedge (or you are sometimes kept oc by the refs for a slightly longer walk to some woods or tents), which is currently representing [insert location here].

Oh ok, thanks. What happens if the gate closes without you? Could I case an operate portal spell and escape?

In practice, “closes” is more a question of the refs standing next to it and slapping the returnees with nastier and nastier curses as time gets further past the nominal closing time. If you are definitely past the closing time, and the refs aren’t there for some reason, wander round oc down to GOD, and they will probably be able to Sort You Out.

No, the operate portal spell won’t work to reopen the gate from the wrong side.

Think of it like this:

The Sentinel Gate generates the portal (I always think of it as a big swirly tunnel of light). From the Anvil side, you can slap the Gate and cast spells upon it.

From the other side, there’s the exit of the swirly tunnel… and that’s it.

Or to put it another way, it looks like a Stargate, but it’s not. There isn’t another Stargate on the other end. It’s a Star Trek Transporter room. It can send you places, and if they’re watching, they can pick you up from there, but unless you’re at a place and time they expect you, they can’t find you…

As Corinthus points out, there’s the safe time to go through… and then the unsafe time to go through (where the magical interference does horrible things to your body and soul), and then there’s the point where it becomes lethal to try, and at some point you can’t get through at all…

The times given for the days are in 24hr format, as noted, but it will still feel like you don’t have enough time to get everything done… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, thanks for clarifying ^^