In which faction would this outfit be most appropriate?

Hi there lovely people,

Due to the state of the world, distance learning is a thing, and I was trying to make story time more fun for the kids by wearing my LARP equipment. And thought I’d use a screenshot, as it’s a struggle to get oneself in these gears, to ask my question.

Although it fits neither Varushka nor Wintermark (favourites in my group of friends), I was wondering which faction this set would be most suitable for. Or if some of it could be scavenged for one of the above factions.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Cheerio

Looks like Marcher kit to me, but you could easily use the chain for any nation.

5 Likes

Minus the helmet you with a tabbard/coat that would suit a bunch of nations, Highguard, Dawn and Urizen. Other bits of costume would make it work for other nations too.

The helmet is very Marcher though :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

As is, I’d say Marcher. Lose the helmet and put a dark tabard, it’ll do nicely for Highguard. With a flower crown and a bright tabard, it’ll do for Dawn.

But as mentioned, the mail and some extras would be fine in Wintermark, but the articulated plate is more for the heavy mobs of Marchers/Dawn/Highguard.

5 Likes

Thanks for the answers, this offers more options than I thought! Now need to think about it. Too much choice :joy:

The helmet is very Marcher, but…
The book looks very Dawnish to me, backed up by the presence of a minion.

1 Like

Ah yes, although I’d need to find a real one if I decided to join Dawn hehe

1 Like

As has been said. With the helm it’s marcher. Get rid of the helm and add a Tabard and it’s Dawnish.

Though minor gripe. These are nations countries and cultures that are magically woven into your soul though an egragor bond. Not factions.

IC people don’t dress to a style to fit in or show unity. They do it because they are magically compelled to and feel wrong in another nations clothes.

3 Likes

IC people don’t dress to a style to fit in or show unity. They do it because they are magically compelled to and feel wrong in another nations clothes.

A previous character had an entire Thing about wearing an item of clothing from another nation as a dare. I love the magical compulsion element of nations, you can play into it so much if you choose to.

And on that note, armour is important but you can use soft kit (shirts, tunics, that kind of thing) to turn something generic into something entirely on-brief quite easily. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, good to know. Not yet studied the wiki in depth or claim to understand the world dynamics. Still planning my first participation and what I need to get there. But thank you for the clarification, it will stop me making a fool of myself IC

2 Likes

Yes I have to make most of the effort there. I was organising a one event get together with my friends who are scattered around the OOC world and we voted for Wintermark. But with travel restrictions and uncertainties, I will most likely be attending on my own. So I feel free to explore whichever nation and be more flexible. I was wondering where the items I have gathered previously would be most suited.

The only soft kit I have at the moment.

1 Like

The helmet, as everyone has said, is Marcher. The plate and maille you can (just about) get away with as a rich Wintermarker of the Steinr tradition, especially if you add furs and rich dark-coloured layered tunics with fancy trim. Bonus points for painting runes on it - Steinr are big on runes.

Your nation is a very important choice: most things happen within your nation, and most ‘plot hooks’ are open to groups within the nation. Your maille will fit for any nation, and pieces of plate for most (especially as you can wear them hidden and still gain the armour benefits!) - take time and choose a nation that you want to play.

The soft kit is the most important identifying factor, so really concentrate on getting that look right. You’ve got some really good basic kit already that works fine for monstering, and would look okay as-is in Wintermark (and maybe some other nations). Once you have decided on your nation, you can go through the ‘Look and Feel’ and work on modifying and accessorizing to make your national identity clear (e.g. with hats/hoods, cloaks/coats, trim and jewelry).

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to answer/comment batmage. I have a superficial knowledge of the nations and all seem like a great choice at the moment. And making a choice will guide my kit building massively. As a solo new player, rune plate seems a little unattainable. But I don´t mind not using what I have (it can always be of use in a different game or for a different character).

I just bought my first sawing machine a few hours ago, a heavy duty one, and am ready to craft (or at least learn from failure to craft). Hopefully that will allow me to sort out that soft kit.

1 Like

All the nations have a look and feel page, chainmail works in a lot of nations as noted above.

There are lots of pages on kit, I would look at what draws you to each nation.

1 Like

If you’ve bought a heavy-duty sewing machine then you probably also want to buy a newspaper or two.
If you’ve chosen heavy-duty it is probably because you want to sew some of the thicker materials. In the LRP context this probably means armour. One of the better and cheaper ways of getting a good fit on semi-rigid materials is to make a version from newspaper and duct tape first.

1 Like

Indeed, I wanted something that could manage canvas, gambeson making as well as leather. But also for making bags and other props. Although probably not beginner friendly projects, so will start with a tunic, a hat, or a hood.

1 Like

A bag can be a very beginner-friendly project, probably the most beginner-friendly project you’ve mentioned. A simple shoulder satchel is two pieces, with a couple of lines of sewing. One wide piece forms the front, bottom, back and flap of the satchel. Another piece that narrows in the middle is the left side, strap and right side of the satchel. A couple of U shaped stitch lines and you’ve made a satchel. You can make this cheaper by using an old belt or cutting the strap in a more efficient way. You can make this fancier by adding clasps and stuff.
Bags are also really useful things to have when you’re in a field. Like seriously useful.

1 Like

I’ll keep that in mind thanks. Will start with that when I order more fabric.

That looks kind of Navarri or Marcher, unless you start adding layers (Urizen). Runes could make it more Wintermark.