Just when I thought I understood ritual magic

Simple question: where are all the new rituals listed? E.g. the ones that have been codified into Imperial Lore since the game started? I know there’s at least one in Summer (the mini-version of Raise the Standard) that isn’t on the Summer ritual list.

Complicated questions:
Can I check my understanding of various terms from this page: profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … erial_Lore

Formulated means written down as a ritual text and needs someone such as the dean (i.e. not me) to do it? Once I possess a ritual text I can spend XP to master the ritual?

Included in Imperial Lore means that anyone can master it with XP and there is no ritual text?

This is confusing me. I thought that ‘spontaneous’ casting meant that you hadn’t mastered the ritual. So… can someone explain to me what this sentence means? It looks like your mana counts for 3 instead of 2 which seems rather unlikely.

According to the Cuckoo’s Egg example it looks like a ritual’s magnitude is reduced (to 100% instead of 150%) by being formulated but that it still requires 150% mana to cast unmastered, this drops to 100% once it’s included in Imperial Lore? Is that right?

Worked example, please correct if wrong.
I make up a brand new ritual that a ref stats as mag 9. It costs me 9(?) mana to cast.
I get it formulated by the Dean at which point it becomes mag 6 but still costs 9 mana to cast?
I master it, spending XP. It now costs me 5 mana to cast?
It gets accepted into Imperial Lore. It now costs me 3 mana to cast?

Thanks in advance folks.

There is no list of additions at the moment - I just add 'em to Imperial Lore when we process the Conclave/Senate motions. I’m hoping against hope to get the Conclave motions on the wiki along with the Senate and Synod which will maybe make it easier to find new rituals.

We haven’t processed this event’s rtuals yet.

[quote=“Daisy”]
Formulated means written down as a ritual text and needs someone such as the dean (i.e. not me) to do it? Once I possess a ritual text I can spend XP to master the ritual?[/quote]

Someone has worked out how to do the ritual efficiently. Formulated means you can master it if you have the ritual text in your actual hands.

[quote=“Daisy”]
Included in Imperial Lore means that anyone can master it with XP and there is no ritual text?[/quote]

Correct. And it is easier to cast spontaneously as well.

[quote=“Daisy”]
IA character who has mastered a ritual that is not part of Imperial Lore triples the amount of mana they contribute when the ritual is performed spontaneously.[/quote]

Not a ref, and moving into scary number areas but will do my best.

There are rituals that you can master that are not part of Imperial Lore. As such, they hard harder to cast spontaneously than rituals which are part of Imperial Lore. To combat this, Graeme worked out that tripling the ranks of someone who has mastered it helps counter the penalty for spontaneously casting at the increased price.

So spontaneously performing the Twilight Masquerade (profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … Masquerade) needs eight ranks and eight mana regardless of who has mastered it, but if that ritual were not part of Imperial Lore, it would need twelve ranks and twelve mana to perform. A character who had mastered this special ritual would act as if they had three times as many ranks to performing this weird ritual rather than have to recalculate the mana cost. Does any of that make sense?

[quote=“Daisy”]
Sometimes, a ritual may exist that is formulated but not part of Imperial Lore. For example, at the Winter 377YE Summit the Dean of the Lyceum presented a ritual called The Cuckoo’s Egg which allowed a foreigner to be brought through the Sentinel Gate. While that ritual had magnitude 6, until it was included in Imperial Lore it would still require 9 mana to cast spontaneously.[/quote]

Correct. The magnitue on the ritual text is it’s real magnitude. If it were part of Imperial Lore it would be magnitude 6 to spontaneously cast. While it is not, it is magnitude 9 to spontaneously cast.

[quote=“Daisy”]
I make up a brand new ritual that a ref stats as mag 9. It costs me 9(?) mana to cast.
I get it formulated by the Dean at which point it becomes mag 6 but still costs 9 mana to cast?
I master it, spending XP. It now costs me 5 mana to cast?
It gets accepted into Imperial Lore. It now costs me 3 mana to cast?[/quote]

The spontaneous ritual is magnitude 9 to perform at that event. We usually have five minutes to work out the magnitude of a spontaneous ritual, and post-event that magnitude might shift dramatically once we have a few hours to discuss it. But I digress.

If it is formulated by the dean, the ritual may turn out to be magnitude 6 to perform but until it is part of Imperial Lore it still takes magnitude 9 to perform it. The difference is that you can master it and - as with a ritual that is part of Imperial Lore - contribute more effectively to it’s performance. I trust Graeme that the numbers make sense.

If it gets acccepted to Imperial Lore, the magnitude will match that of the ritual text, and anyone who has mastered it doubles their ranks.

Hmm. Someone should probably go get Graeme to check that I haven’t made all this crap up …

OK, that does make sense, you just need to remove the word ‘spontaneously’ from that sentence.

So, my worked example should read:
I make up a brand new ritual that a ref stats as mag 9. It costs me 9 mana to cast.
I master it, spending XP. Because my mana counts for triple it now costs me 3 mana to cast.
It gets accepted into Imperial Lore. My mana now counts for double. It still costs me 3 mana to cast.

Correct?

I edited a bit after posting, sorry.

We discussed this a bit over at the-rules/mastery-and-spontaneous-casting-t843.html

So, I was writing a post on this, but it’s already been answered.

Essentially, the tripling is a mathematical hack to make the numbers work, and I still don’t know why we have it on the public player wiki confusing people. I’ll get all this fixed eventually…

Daisy, your most recent post is accurate.

Thanks everyone!

It might be easier to say for any spontaneous ritual not in imperial lore there is a 50% surcharge in the literature. It’s already well understood where we’ve been hacking together variant rituals from existing imperial ones, and it removes that confusing tripling mechanic altogether.

Eg the salt glass, magnitude 18 ritual, not in imperial lore

With the ritual text but no mastery, a coven cast it for 27 mana, because everyone pays the surcharge.

The archmage of day then masters it, he has lore 3 and the archmages staff. The coven now casts it for 17 mana (5 from the archmage doubled to 10, and then 8 from unmastered which goes to 12 with the surcharge)

Another lore 3 member of the coven then masters it, it can now be cast for 11 mana (8 from the mastered casters, doubled to 16, leaving 2 to find which is 3 with the surcharge) or 9 if they go to the regio or use a ring.

Those are the costs from the field, we did a lot of casting the salt glass last event. :smiley: