Kids, coins, and resources

Apologies if this has already been raised.

Simply, do kids, pre-citizenship, gets IC cash and a personal resource like adult characters?

They don’t get a personal resource until they are citizens. Dunno about the 18 rings.

iirc
They did get the 18 rings for a few events, but they weren’t supposed to.

The Citizenship test is the point at which they’re old enough to have a paper-round to earn the money. :wink:

It would be nice if kids get a little bit of money, even if it’s half the value (9 rings), I can see from several POV that it could be a bad idea, the one being we’re big wigs of the Empire we can have a bit of disposable empire, but they’re kids, But I think it would be nice to given something that is theirs not given to them by their parent/guardian.

I can’t see us ever giving young LRPers anything like the equivalent of 3 months disposable income for a reasonably powerful indivdual.

To be honest, I’m 78% certain we’re not going to give them anything at all and expect their parents and guardians to buy their cake for them.

There’s a few good reasons, but the ones I like are:

1. It makes no sense to me to not give them skills or personal resources but give them cash.
  2. I hate even the idea of baby farms
  3. At what age would we give them money? Would there be a test to see if they have marketable skills? Perhaps they would have to assemble a shoe or a tiny phone? I’m being a bit facetious but we have a system where we identify young LRPers as “sensible enough to join the bear pit” and I think that the more coherent we keep it, the better.

Also, I will draw your attention to Freeborn common sense which suggests: Freeborn like children to learn the value of money. Those who are not poor give their children a Ring every morning, to carry with them during the day. The child is expected to give the Ring back at night, or to justify why they spent the money if it is gone. Any money that the child makes using their Ring is theirs to keep.

After all, they can keep anything they can catch.

Kids don’t need money. People will buy pretty much anything off a cute urchin, it seems :slight_smile: “Blade of grass for a Ring, mister?!”

[quote=“Andy Raff”]There’s a few good reasons, but the ones I like are:

1. It makes no sense to me to not give them skills or personal resources but give them cash.
  2. I hate even the idea of baby farms
  3. At what age would we give them money? Would there be a test to see if they have marketable skills? Perhaps they would have to assemble a shoe or a tiny phone? I’m being a bit facetious but we have a system where we identify young LRPers as “sensible enough to join the bear pit” and I think that the more coherent we keep it, the better.
    [/quote]

Yeah pretty much the reasons it would be a bad idea over a good one, hence me saying it would be nice, rather than something to go towards, the more integrated young players can be the better. Especially Number 2, that makes me shudder.

They should get money and resources proportionate to the amount they paid to enter the event surely?

No that makes no sense at all.

I believe womble has it right. From what I hear, some of the kids are already richer than various Bourse members because they have the determination, work ethic and adorable big eyes to make a mint. As one of my group was telling me the other week, two kids she was talking to spent a few minutes looking for a throne they had dropped, but then decided it didn’t matter too much as they had more.

Never underestimate the power of a child with a plan.

Two kids convincing someone to help them look for a lost throne whilst the third kid picks their pocket. Classic.

Dear god I’m glad we only have to deal with you as an adult Jason. If all The Pledge were adorable children I’d just give up now.

Funny you should say that, Tim …

[quote=“TimB”]I believe womble has it right. From what I hear, some of the kids are already richer than various Bourse members because they have the determination, work ethic and adorable big eyes to make a mint. As one of my group was telling me the other week, two kids she was talking to spent a few minutes looking for a throne they had dropped, but then decided it didn’t matter too much as they had more.

Never underestimate the power of a child with a plan.[/quote]

I can attest to this, two Varushkan kids made more money in the first event than I ever even got to see over six years of Maelstrom. Not only was I embarrassed by their clearly superior financial skills, but I was also embarrassed by the fact that for a moment I was actually tempted to try mugging them. :blush: Bloody kids…

Cake Mafia…