Larp safe conkers (not a weapon)

Isca would like to throw conkers at people. This is not intended to be used as a weapon, merely as a means of communicating that the other person is being annoying / boring / confusing.

If I make conkers by painting polystyrene balls, is this allowed, and do I have to take them to weapons check?

I have no idea, but I’d like to see where they’d put the elastic band

If you don’t intend them to do damage, they’re not a weapon. Therefore you don’t need to have them safety checked anymore than a paper aeroplane.

You are therefore bound pretty much by the laws of the land as to what you want to throw at people.

At least that’s how I see it, otherwise we end up with the stupiditiy of having anything you might throw at someone have to be weapons checked.

I would like to disagree completely.

If you are intending to hit folks with it, it should be safety checked.
Safety checking is wholly OOC and has nothing to do with what effect the item has in game, but with how you intend to use it.

Mark

how much roleplay this creates will be incredible I can just see some zealot individuals going arrest her arrest her.

Militia looking at handbooks for the part where what intention is it done contributing to its not a crime to avoid hours of irritating silliness.

Thanks. I think Arkat is in general probably right, if I intend to hit people with it, regardless of IC effects, it should probably go to weapons check.

I cannot think of any ways to OC harm someone with polystyrene balls, short of making them eat it. But I will take them to weapons check anyway to avoid being grumped at by pedants.

The weapons check crew are pretty sensible folk so it should be fine, it’s more that there can’t be any exceptions when you’re talking about something that is going to be flung at people’s heads. Your idea of safe may be fine, but someone else might not be so sensible so everything gets checked.

I have some entertaining (painful) stories about people using Larp safe latex and foam muskets who were followed up with idiots with wooden ones as they just followed what they saw other people doing. So it’s best not to make assumptions when it comes to safety.

Amen Mark!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“Arkat”]If you are intending to hit folks with it, it should be safety checked.
Safety checking is wholly OOC and has nothing to do with what effect the item has in game, but with how you intend to use it.[/quote]

I might go further and comment if there is any chance someone else might hit someone with it, you should safety check it.