Magic Items - Layering Armour

Are you allowed to layer armour types in order to get the benefit from a magical item (of a “lesser” type) ?

i.e. as a heavy armour user could I wear a piece of light or medium armour with a bonded magical effect either under/over the heavy armour and use its magical effect (whilst still benefitting from 4+ hits and immunity to impale/cleave) ?

I acknowledge that I can only be bonded to one magical armour effect, and that I don’t get the accumative hits from each armour type.

[quote=“shemp”]Are you allowed to layer armour types in order to get the benefit from a magical item (of a “lesser” type) ?

i.e. as a heavy armour user could I wear a piece of light or medium armour with a bonded magical effect either under/over the heavy armour and use its magical effect (whilst still benefitting from 4+ hits and immunity to impale/cleave) ?

I acknowledge that I can only be bonded to one magical armour effect, and that I don’t get the accumative hits from each armour type.[/quote]

AIUI, yes you can. You’d have to wear enough of the lighter type to count as being in that type if you weren’t wearing heavy over the top (so if your “medium” physrep was a full-sleeved-shirt of 4-and-8 it’d be a pretty significant additional weight to carry). You can’t just wear one location or a partial location of the lighter type and claim the benefit of the MI.

Particularly handy things here are the clothing-type items, like the Shimmergold Coat, and also the ability to stick a magical gambeson under your mundane heavy armour.

With reference to the rules on magic items:

*Garments
•Garments are items designed to be worn

Armour
•You must be wearing suit of armour to benefit from its magical abilities
•Mage armour must meet the coverage rules for mage armour
To count as enchanted armour, it must cover the majority of the torso and at least one other location. Valid locations are the head (with a helm), the arms and the legs, or you may cover half of your arms and legs.

Clothing
•A robe must be a phys-rep of clothing
Robes must cover the majority of the torso and at least one other location. Valid locations are the head (with a hood), the arms or the legs, or at least half of your arms and legs. *

Hence this could be interpreted that just wearing a magical shirt or gambeson (of a lesser armour type /clothing) under heavy armour doesn’t provide sufficient coverage (torso plus one location) to meet the definintion above (noting I suppose if its long sleeved it may) ?

Yeah, to my eyes long-sleeved works but short doesn’t. Short-sleeved tunics that hang to the knee would work, though, as you meet the half arms and half legs version.

NOT A REF!

But my assumption has always been it works like this, and some of the story elements support it. Wearing a magical gambeson under medium or heavy armour gives it’s magical bonus as long as it meets the minimum requirement for coverage-to-count-as-armour.

You are allowed to layer armour types. The ribboned item must be of suitable coverage to count as what it’s ribboned as, but you can wear more armour over or under it, and gain the best of each benefit available from your various layers.

So a sleeved gambeson worn under a mail vest and steel helm is full heavy (torso plus head in heavy) and full light (torso plus arms in light), and therefore gives +4 hits, blocks any impales which hit the heavy armour directly, and can be combined with a light or heavy ribbon attached to the appropriate item (but not both, of course).

The only exception to armour layering is not wearing mage armour over normal armour I think?

I doubt there’s anything against it, other than the rule of not casting in armour kicking in

THIS.

I know - because I checked - that it’s possible to wear “normal” Mage Armour over a magical Mage Robe (e.g. Volhov’s Robes).

NAR but the same principle should apply to mundane plate over an enchanted gambeson…

to see if I’m reading this correctly,
Can you wear an enchanted Clothing item and an enchanted Armour item and get the benefits of both.

[quote=“duncanmcknuckle”]to see if I’m reading this correctly,
Can you wear an enchanted Clothing item and an enchanted Armour item and get the benefits of both.[/quote]

You may only bond to three items at a time (not counting the covenstones, magic banners and so on to which a group can bond): one armament or weaponlike item, one garment or piece of armour, one accoutrement or other blinglike object.

Enchanted clothing items and enchanted armour items are both ‘a garment or piece of armour’. You may physically put as many of them on simultaneously as you can physrep, but you may only gain the benefit of the magic on the one that is bonded to you - any other worn item, if it is armour, will still give you hits as if it were nonmagical armour of that kind, just as if it is clothing it will still conceal your modesty as if it were nonmagical clothing of that kind.

There is nothing that can be worn as clothing that counts as a magic accoutrement or blinglike object except for hats and masks, and if your hat or mask provides enough coverage to count as armour then you have larger problems.

But what if we have no modesty?

[quote=“Vaan”]

But what if we have no modesty?[/quote]

Then it will conceal whatever it can find.

I think someone needs to have a word with the League.

My take on layered armour is that you would only get the hit-increase of one item (whichever is heavier) but you do get the ‘resist’ of whichever armour covers the given location; e.g. Heavy on torso, upper legs ignore both cleave and impale, whilst medium on arms and lower legs will ignore cleave.
As for magical effects, as had been mentioned before, so long as the phys-rep meets the coverage requirements you get the bonus.

Green -steel bracelets. Gives you shield use, takes up the Jewellry slot not the garment slot.

Mine are very large bracelets. To the point at a distance if you could see them, you’d be forgiven for thinking braceRS not braceLETS.

Doesn’t matter a stuff though, the phys rep might be counting as heavy armour I’m still bonding to the Jewellery slot (like I’d take the Chain on the field or into a tourney…quick, this battle is lost if I do not immediately Streams of Silver the entirety of Tassato!)

[quote=“Vince”]Green -steel bracelets. Gives you shield use, takes up the Jewellry slot not the garment slot.

Mine are very large bracelets. To the point at a distance if you could see them, you’d be forgiven for thinking braceRS not braceLETS.

Doesn’t matter a stuff though, the phys rep might be counting as heavy armour I’m still bonding to the Jewellery slot (like I’d take the Chain on the field or into a tourney…quick, this battle is lost if I do not immediately Streams of Silver the entirety of Tassato!)[/quote]

While a large bracelet is naturally acceptable, a quick skim through the physrep requirements for a Jewellery item makes me think that a plate vambrace would not be.

"]Jewellery must be a phys-rep of an item that is worn. It may take the form of actual jewellery such as an amulet, ring, bracelet or circlet. It may also take the form of any other small item intended to be worn such as a mask, embroidered favour, decorative braid and the like. As much as possible the item should look distinctive and decorative.

[quote=“Ash”]My take on layered armour is that you would only get the hit-increase of one item (whichever is heavier) but you do get the ‘resist’ of whichever armour covers the given location; e.g. Heavy on torso, upper legs ignore both cleave and impale, whilst medium on arms and lower legs will ignore cleave.
[/quote]

For layered and multi-type armour, you get the hit increase of the lowest necessary part of your armour.

So in your case, we have the potential for medium armour and for heavy armour. As the heavy armour is not sufficient coverage by itself to grant hits, we add e.g. the medium lower legs. This now takes us to the point of being sufficient coverage to gain hits, so you get +3 hits.

If you had a heavy torso (say a brigandine) and head (sallet helmet), plus medium arms, you would get +4 hits, as you don’t need to use medium armour to make up the coverage there.

I hope this makes sense?

I realize this is an older post but can I layer a Gamberson with a leather chest and arms on top? Will this give me both armor bonuses?

You can wear as many layers of armour as you like, but you never get more than one set of extra hits from armour.

If you’re wearing a gambeson (full light armour) and thick leather chest+arms (full medium armour) that means you get the three hits from the medium armour. If your thick leather isn’t enough to count as full medium armour by itself, then you’d only get the two hits from wearing light armour.

Of course, if your leather is thinner than 3mm, then everything is light armour and you can wear whatever you want.

Also the padded is just useful to stop actual injuries. Armour pinches, rubs and digs in with out decent padding.