Magic shields vs Shatter?

Can anyone tell me what’s the craic with magic shields, like Oakheart etc.

If I’ve got one, and someone calls a Shatter… does it?

I can’t find a specific answer to this question anywhere in the wiki.

I suppose the same question is true of magic weapons… can they be shattered or not?

Ta

Yes, I believe they can be shattered.
‘Any weapon, implement or shield struck by the blow is broken and useless.’. I’d have thought PD would’ve flagged any exceptions as major as that after that sentence. There also exist magical shields (and I believe also weapons) who’s whole schtick is that they can fix themselves. You’d get a definitive answer by emailing the rules team, but I’m pretty sure this is how it works.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ls#SHATTER
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ed_Rampart

I remember reading something about a shield enchantment which allows the repair of a Shatter with 10 seconds of appropriate role play.

It just seems a bit one sided - a sword that deals out shatters will last 4 events but a similarity expensive shield isn’t worth shite if I come up against that sword?

Shatter doesn’t permanently destroy something, it just makes it unusable until it’s had Mend cast on it.

There is a shield that you can get which lets you mend it with a hero point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Calls
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … roic_Blows

Both of those state explicitly that there is no way to resist effects such as Shatter.

Just to answer all the questions in one go: any weapon, implement or shield can be shattered. This includes crafted magical ones.

If an item is shattered, it is not permanently destroyed. However, it is unusable until the Mend spell is cast upon it (or a ritual equivalent). There is no mundane way to repair a shattered item (and that includes Artisans).

There is a Shield which allows the bonded user to spend 1 hero point and 10s roleplaying to mend it if it is shattered (there’s also a Polearm).

Apart from these two exceptions, if your magical item has been shattered you lose any benefits it gives you, including calls, mana, hits, hero points, spells, skills, and so on.

(There are also paired ambi weapons that let you mend them and probably others, it’s a fairly common artisan item thing to do. If there isn’t one in your weapons combo, maybe you want to get someone to commission a Runeforge…)

An underlying question would be:
You have a shield that gives you an extra hit
you are down to your last hit
Your shield is shattered
What happens?

Do you:

1. Drop to the floor starting your death count because with the shield broken and useless the magic that gave the extra hit no longer works.
  2. Your shield is broken but you are still on one hit because extra hits from items are lost first (this would be my interpretation)
  3. Something else

The way I would interpret it is that equipment affects your HP maximum, not your current count.
[ul]Thus in your example you would be on 1/6, rather than 1/7.
If you had been on full health, you would have gone from 7/7 to 6/6.
[/ul]
However… what happens when your shield is mended? Your maximum health has gone up by 1, but does your current health also increase by 1?
[ul]I would suspect that 1-5/6 would become 1-5/7;
but that 6/6 would become 7/7.[/ul]

But I am not a ref. or anything else, for that matter. :wink:

My interpretation would that if your maximum hits are reduced, it does nothing to your current hits provided it’s less than your new maximum. The alternative doesn’t make a lot of sense; if I lost current hits when I lost maximum hits then I’d drop dead by taking my armour off in Anvil after being hit twice on the battlefield.
#notaref

It comes off your maximum hits. If it’s repaired, it goes back on to your maximum hits.

If you have lost hits, you stay on low hits. If you have full hits, you stay on full hits.

Basically, you don’t get fucked over further, but you don’t gain any advantages.

See also profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _armour.3F

Note: If you have lost at least one hit, you will still have lost at least one hit. So if you lose you +1 hit shield while on 6/7 hits, you are not on 6/6 - otherwise you could just drop the shield and pick it back up to heal that lost hit…

Wouldn’t deliberately dropping it fall under the taking armour off while wounded clause, and drop you to 1 hit?

Speaking as a non-ref and indeed non PD]
The Taking off armour rule is designed to keep things simple and stop rules abuse.
It’s not meant to mess you up mid combat, or turn a 30 hero into a hit-shatter-hit exploit.

Weather it should drop your max hits or both max and current is a ref call, both make equal sense; as much sense as anything in a hitpoint based fight simulation.

That’s why I was only saying it would probably apply to the “I’m going to take my shield off mid-combat” case, not the “shield got shattered” case. One is voluntary and open to abuse, the other is just part of combat.

[quote=“tea”]
Note: If you have lost at least one hit, you will still have lost at least one hit. So if you lose you +1 hit shield while on 6/7 hits, you are not on 6/6 - otherwise you could just drop the shield and pick it back up to heal that lost hit…[/quote]

That seems counter-intuitive to me. If my shield is shattered while I’m on 5/7 hits I remain on 5/6 hits, but if I was on 6/7 I’m now on 5/6? I can’t think of any reason why it would matter if you were on 6 hits out of 7 or 6 hits out of 6 (with a lost 7th maximum hit that you could regain by mending the magic shield). Obviously you wouldn’t go up to 7 hits if your shield was mended as that would be an advantage.
The edge case in my mind is what happens if you are dropped below 6 hits, healed to full hits, then have your shield mended. My instinct would say you’d then be on 6/7.

The rules are also a bit wonky when you consider the fact that your magic shield only should give you an extra hit while you are ‘wielding’ it, so theoretically if you drop it or sling it on your back we have the same scenario. Or for an even bigger headache, consider a shield that gives you Fortitude being looted from your body while you are bleeding out…

If an item is shattered, it is not permanently destroyed. However, it is unusable until the Mend spell is cast upon it. There is no mundane way to repair a shattered item.