Magical standards

“A magic standard must be a phys-rep of a banner or standard. It should be an item that is carried, rather than a back-banner or a tabard. Ideally it should consist of a banner pole at least 60” long, and should bear a flag, pennant or banner with a design on it."

Ideally it should be a cloth flag / banner style thing, but it doesn’t have to be? I want to check with the crew on what they would consider a suitable alternative. I helping to start a new banner group and we have an idea for a very ornate totem style thing. It will be big, and very noticeable, and very distinctive. The important thing for the group though is that it will be easier to move around than a large sail.

For reference, something along the lines of this, sans the pennant and a tad shorter:

games-workshop.com/resources … sNEW01.jpg

Before we start discussing this our supplier and add it the pile of stuff, yay or nay?

Cheers

/Not a Ref’

PD rules tend to fall towards *** “If it looks awesome and is obviously looks like what it’s intended to do, then go for it”***

BIG SYMBOL THING ON STICK I believe would meet this.

My personal guideline (and I’m also not a ref on the forums), would be that your symbolic item should probably be at least shield-sized, not buckler sized.

So a flag of some type is the obvious way to do that, but some sort of super-nice big totem thing could do the job quite well. In the example you linked, make it a couple of feet across and (probably) no-one would mistake it for a mage staff. That’s the big pitfall you want to avoid.

FWIW, I found that carrying a flag was fine, but carrying a large rigid object seems more likely to be an issue for wind, tangles, etc. Might be worth trying a simple flag in some woodland and seeing what it’s like. Also, shorter pole is better - 5-6ft lets you hold it up for height on the open field, and also maneuver it through woodland.

What you’re suggesting reminds me of the roman standard in the center of this picture.

I’d say if you managed to make that sort of thing appropriate for Empire I think it would an appropriate phys rep for a magical standard.

For what it’s worth I can’t see PD objecting, because they own at least one magic standard physrep that is based on that design. I know because we stole it off a bunch of Jotun IC. It’s a massive foam and latex thing with a skull on the top and round plates with runes on under it, looks really good.

[quote=“Mark_Wilkin”]What you’re suggesting reminds me of the roman standard in the center of this picture.

I’d say if you managed to make that sort of thing appropriate for Empire I think it would an appropriate phys rep for a magical standard.[/quote]

Riffing off that picture, there are two things being carried as standards in it. I’d say that the one with the hand and the rondels (the signum), would be appropriate as a magic standard, but the one with the eagle (aquila) is in that version too small, and looks more like a mage staff.