Mixing briefs for a costume

As Im playing a character that is a leaguer who is trying to for a lack of a better term “win over” Dawn, how can/ should I reflect it in my costume eg adding flowers/ heraldry to represent my dawnish connections?

I think the Egregore bond prevents you from doing that. OC it’s to avoid a boring homogeneous mishmash of costume and give each nation it’s own distinct look.

I respectfully disagree. It’s not like the navarr are the only nation that can have tattoos, the Urizen have a flower festival even though flowers “are dawnish” and I’ve seen some awesome pictures of Wintermarkers in masks even though masks are super League.

Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I would say a few small accents from Dawn would be fine. If anyone gets confused about your nation however maybe dial down the dawn a little.

2 Likes

Do it in the Leaguish Brief:

Add her heraldry to a Ring, - it’s showing your divided loyalty, in completely leaugish fashion

Make a ‘Dawn’ themed Mask - Bonus points if you can manage conveying both Dawn, but in a really unDawnish way, (If you use a mask as a basis going further becomes more a costume than a breach. Wearing the Mask of the Knight Ardent for a role and then adding a flower crown. Feels a very League way to interact with Dawn.)

12 Likes

In general, the briefs aren’t a fan on mixing, so overall you would want to look League. But the harder you lean into League, the more space you would have for a Dawnish element that piques interest without making your costume confusing.

Perhaps carry those flowers on a belt to hand out, rather than wear yourself? The play you put on has a Dawnish heroine? The icon of an Exemplar is one that Dawn favours?

@McGonigle’s idea above is excellent; do Dawnish things but in a wholly Leaguish way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Flowers are just as Urizeni as they are Dawnish- in the correct context. My character still wears the Pride and Loyalty flowers given him at Flower Festival by a fallen friend- those flowers would have a completely different meaning in Dawn . Other nations can have tattoos- but having Navarri facial tattoos if you’re in Varushka would be jarring and weird. The Wintermarkers that have masks are usually kallavesi stormcrows, they’re not wearing League masquerade type masks. As McGonigle says, doing the gesture via the nation’s own brief is much cooler.

4 Likes

You may find the militia following you around suspiciously if you do; tattoos in the League may be a natural result of life in a Free Company, but certain tattoos will get you executed as Vyig.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. It’s not like the navarr are the only nation that can have tattoos, the Urizen have a flower festival even though flowers “are dawnish” and I’ve seen some awesome pictures of Wintermarkers in masks even though masks are super League.

@Bradstyley said more or less exactly what I was going to with regards to this - there’s an important difference between ‘A Wintermarker wearing a mask’ and ‘A Leaguer using the hearth magic of masks’ (my Leaguer’s interviewed a few of the Wintermarkers about their masks, and it’s been really good game looking at the Cultural Differences in their design and function) or ‘someone having a tattoo’ and ‘a Navaar marking an oath with ink or scarification’.

@McGonigle’s suggestions about using the Leagueish Brief to interpret Dawn, rather than lifting Dawnish traditions, are Brilliant.

3 Likes