Mud and armour

Three and a half hours of elbow grease and oil, and the plate is de-mudded, de-rusted and shiny again. Ffff. Whoever Clarice’s squire is, I salute you.

I quite like giving my plate a quick once-over IC, as a Thing, but it invariably gets muddy again. How do you others on Team Clank battle the Evil Rust Demons at/after a wet event?

Get dressed for battle sell this wonder stuff called Ballistol and it is the best preventative and cleaning agent I have found yet. It really is the work of an instant to wipe it over the Armour using a damp cloth after it gets wet and it prevents rust forming.

It works pretty well to break down the rust if any had formed making cleaning much easier as well. It took me about half an hour with the dremmel to tidy up my greaves apart from that mine was fine and that was after Friday nights utterly drenched woodland stroll.

I’ve found giving my plate a coat of Renaissance Wax after polishing helps mitigate against it getting rusty at wet events - got no rust after E4 for example. Its a tad pricy but you don’t use much at a time - and I’m sure there are alternatives but I just went for the “brand” name. IIRC there is some stuff called Ballistol (sp?) that people have recommended as well. edit as mentioned by Gray when I was typing :slight_smile:

Precautions at events are pretty obvious - if the stuff gets wet, get it dry; don’t just leave it lying around on the grass; etc. I’ve known people give armour that has got wet a quick blast of WD40 in the field as well to drive off the water. Oh, and after a cold night watch out for condensation on your plate leading to rust as well.

I’ve picked up some dark red and white shower curtains I might be able to Dawn up with potato printing (and removing the clip bits so they’re not obviously shower curtains, obviously), which should at least mean that next time the Novarion armour is not going straight on the mud if it gets dropped.

Also looking at long tent pegs to keep the inside of the tent dryer. I can’t easily get rope.

In an ideal world we’d have room for collapsible armour stands.

[quote=“Supermouse”]I’ve picked up some dark red and white shower curtains I might be able to Dawn up with potato printing (and removing the clip bits so they’re not obviously shower curtains, obviously), which should at least mean that next time the Novarion armour is not going straight on the mud if it gets dropped.

Also looking at long tent pegs to keep the inside of the tent dryer. I can’t easily get rope.

In an ideal world we’d have room for collapsible armour stands.[/quote]

Oooh. You could easily sew the shower curtains to the back of a blanket, which would mean they looked IC but still didn’t get wet from the grass :slight_smile:

FWIW I’ve taken to storing my armour in a wicker basket at events (and for transport there and back) which, IMO, looks pretty good for IC as well :slight_smile: Last event I stood it on a couple of good sized bits of wood to make sure the bottom was off the grass and thus the wet.

I let mine rust…

I use Liquid Lanolin.

While I wear mostly Mail on the Empre field, I do Have a Plate harness that I wear for rougher sports.

I have had no corrosion problems since I started using liquid lanolin as a preventative measure on my springsteel harness. That was more than eight years ago.

Each piece of kit has its own cotton drill bag, (Flannel or wool might be better) and after combat the insides of the harness get wiped out with a towel to get the condensation/sweat off, any mud is wiped or washed off, dried with a towel if neccessary, then a couple of squirts of lanolin on the outside. over time the bags get impregnated with lanolin too.

The brand I use is Lanoguard.
lanoguard.co.nz/products.html
Original Lanoguard Marine and Chassis

I got it online from a marine Chandler,
bosunslockerchandlery.co.uk/ … SPRAY.html

Lanolin. A medieval product. who would have thought…

I spent 2 hours riveting in chain links to replace those that had broken on my shirt over the last year :stuck_out_tongue: All under the armpits…

Gaz,

Do you wear Your Mailshirt with a belt?

I use stainless steel ringmesh. So a few days after the event I took it out of its bag and shook all the mud out of it. Now it’s clean.

How’s the neckline? I’ve found that can be quite a point of stress on some cheaper shirts, and once it starts to go at a corner of the neck, it just unzips down the whole shirt. More of a problem with butted mail, though.

I seem to recall hearing the chap that plays Seren (doesnt do portals long hair beard cant for the life of me remember his real name) talking about iron dwarfs battle wax.

Iron Dwarfs Battle Wax is a similar sort of stuff to Renaissance Wax.

Neil lent me some of the Iron Dwarf wax, it’s really good!

Also, alas. In this thread I have finally found something which being allergic to lanolin actually limits!

WD40. Also power tools ftw for cleaning plate. Im still waiting for one of you brave clankers to paint your armour :wink:

I’ve seen a couple of painted helms around which can look really nice, not sure why you’d want to paint much more than that though :confused:

Sorry I am a clank newbie (looking at getting some partial plate for E5) and I am clearly missing something… Are none of your kit stainless steel? If so why not? Or are they shower proof just not empire weather/mud proof.
Apologies for the likely obviousness of the answer…

IIRC stainless steel is much harder to work than mild steel and thus is much more expensive and so you don’t see much around. Nearly all reenactment armour, for example, is made in mild steel.

+1 on that All the steel armour that I have seen has been non stainless and I’ve seen many ways of trying to prevent rust: Powdercoating, painting, gun blue, waxing, oiling you name it. Probably the main reason for the prevalance of ally armour in LARP after the weight factor was the not having to worry about rust.

[quote=“Hob”]Gaz,

Do you wear Your Mailshirt with a belt?[/quote]

Yup, well belted and neckline is fine. It’s the older style loose short sleeve arms rather than close fitted