New characters inheriting old character items

If a character dies in game, can you have a will for them that gives their items to your new character?

I think that that it would be bad form to do that directly .

However, you could will your items to a trusted friend and then have that person as a friend of your new character in your backstory.

Also, note that I don’t think wills have legal standing in Empire.

1 Like

Wills are covered in the wiki here:

https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Will

There’s nothing to say you can’t leave your possessions to your next character but I agree with Wake that a lot of people would feel it was rather bad form.

3 Likes

The closest you could get would be something like this:

Player 1 is playing character A. A dies in a battle, and is brought back with all effects, dying in a suitably tragic manner surrounded by grieving friends. A has previously written a Will passing personal resource to the group leader, Q, until a suitable candidate can be found. Their equipment and effects is claimed by the group, the Silverwelds.
Player 1 starts another character, B, in the Silverwelds. Upon introduction, the group decides to pass A’s old resource to B, and also give B all of A’s equipment etc.

In this way B might “inherit” an upgraded personal resource, several magic items, cash, potions, whatever.

This is not, as I see it, cheating within the game. It is though, as noted above, going to be looked down on. What I suspect it will be seen as is:

Player 1 has started a new character identical to their old character, indicating a lack of imagination and creativity. They have removed the meaning from A’s death, and tried to shortcut the system to ensure they can die with minimal consequence. And for what? A pile of in-game items that probably meant a lot to A when they got them, and now mean little to B…

Here’s a way to do it that might look a little better.

Player 1, playing A, dies in battle as before, their resources divvied up as before. The Silverwelds use A’s equipment (magic items, weapons, etc). B is introduced and is played quite differently from A. They work hard to establish a new niche withing the group.

They are passed a certain amount of cash and useful potions etc as part of the group (maybe they came off A, maybe not). They might be formally presented with the phys-reps of A (let’s say a distinctive helmet and shield), to avoid Player 1 having to buy new props. This is flagged at every stage as “This was worn by another before me and I am wearing it to bring further honour to the group, in their memory…”

And maybe, in time, they might be deemed worthy to receive that upgraded resource of A (if it hasn’t passed to someone else). Maybe in time the Silverwelds either pass the older enchanted items of A on to B as the one best able to use them, or invest in getting some new, but identical enchantments done. Hopefully from a different artisan in a different way.

This would result in B having the same character items as A, but having earned them in play. Player 1 would still likely get comments of “your new character looks just like your old one”, but hopefully will have given enough time for this to pass.

TL:DR It can be done, it’s either a cheesy respawn or a lot of bother, I take the opportunity to try something new instead.

4 Likes

Wills are fine to give something like a Spoil of War or just an upgraded resource to someone in your group so the investment isn’t lost. I wouldn’t use them to give something to my new character though, it strikes me as against the spirit of the game. And anyway I try to take my characters in different directions each time, so the “fun tokens” for my last character won’t be as useful to my new one.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies everybody. It’s not something I’m majorly considering, but it is nice to have the info

2 Likes