New player!

Apologies for the new player post but I had to just drop a line and say I am really excited to be joining Dawn as a Knight Errant. I have been saying I would come to empire for 2 years now but that just means I had 2 years to work out my nation aaand Dawn was by far the closest to what I want!

My kit is a little subdued in colour and what not, kind of rogue’ish. I wanted to get more apropros kit as my characters prestige and what not increases. pretty much working with a sleeveless black gambeson, flax undershirt, my belt and sword frog/pouches. Pretty much just basic but functional.

I really don’t want to look awful or out of place.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

any advice would be great!

Luke.

Got a nice and obvious Yellow Sun on Blue Field Object yet?

not as of yet, any advice?

I don’t think anyone expects you to have perfect kit your first event, don’t worry you aren’t going to look awful. The worst that is likely to happen is people will mix you up with other nations(Which happens a reasonable amount for experienced players as well.) Just keep thinking of little ways you can improve it.

As Taxellor mentions, if you can think of any way of adding a blue piece of fabric with the sun of Dawn on it that would be an obvious first step. The simplest way I can think of is just get some yellow/gold fabric paint, cut out a stencil of a sun design and paint it onto some blue cloth. Then loop that over your belt. (If you don’t edge it properly the edges will fray, but that’s not the end of the world in the short term.)

It’s worth remembering as well that any member of Dawn can ask for a test of mettle. Think about ways to make your kit limitations into a feature of the character. I doubt it’s easy for your average yeoman* to cobble together the equipment required of a knight errant, making that part of the character could help you stand out in people’s minds.

*There’s a mention of knight errants having patrons somewhere on the wiki which supports this.

That’s fantastic thank you! yes I was going for the humble origins kind of deal with my character so I am hoping that will reflect. I am making plans for tomorrow to maybe make a tabard or at the very least the fabric for my belt to at least show colours. I will eventually get a shield which I am sure I can do something with in the long run.

I take it that it is this golden sun on a blue background? or possibly something diffrent? im using tablet while I get my new laptop, so navigation is rough.
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … denSun.jpg

its going to be very nerve wracking my first day in dawn as I don’t know anyone but am hoping I will be outgoing enough to chat and what not.

Luke.

[quote=“McGonigle”]
As Taxellor mentions, if you can think of any way of adding a blue piece of fabric with the sun of Dawn on it that would be an obvious first step. [/quote]

Maybe too obvious and not individualistic enough for Dawn? personally I’d look to do something individual and personal - as somebody who hopes to be “on the up” in Dawnish society I’d be looking for something that people would remember as **ME **and not just another person with a common image. YMMV.

thanks a lot I will bear that in mind when im deciding, even an embroidered patch of the sun for my gambeson would be cool for now.

I’d miss out the outer two circles around it (I think that’s specific to the Golden sun) but other wise that would be fine. That being said I think PD have specifically avoided making a heraldry of Dawn image to allow for more artistic freedom.

“A knight-errant should not have their own heraldry.” There aren’t enough knights errants proudly bearing the colours of Dawn in my opinion, it’s a clear part of the national brief. (It’s very important to remember the first empress wore those colours.)
Now it’s possible for yeomen to get permission to wear the house heraldry (or a specific nobles they serve, and if he were coming in with a strong group identity he might do such (even if like house tenesil you were coming in as a band of yeomen looking to reform a dead house.)
Wearing the Dawnish flag, clearly marks you as a knight errant, and that should help people get you involved in things.

On a similar note I’ve found Dawn, to be a nation that is very welcoming for new players, and having a clear IC structure to group hunting is really useful. If you have an idea of which territory you come from and general background, it might be worth trying to get a background link to another character, which might help.

On the tabard front useful article I’m not sure if you have found: profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _a_Surcote,
It would definitely make your costume more Dawnish, but bear in mind depending on the house you join you might end up wanting to make a second, if you end up joining a house that doesn’t have blue heraldry. (This would be more a a big deal for some houses than other.)

thank you! that tutorial is just what I was looking for! .in regards to the sun, its fairly open to interpretation then? I have seen a few similar golden embroidered patches I was hoping to find before the event. I don’t suppose anyone has a rough example of what the Dawn sun/field/sky emblem looks like?

On a book
As a patch
Where’s the knight errant?
How many knight errant’s can you find?

So yes it’s hugely open to interpretation, as long as you have: a vaguely sun like shape in bright yellow, on a blue background everything is fine

[quote=“McGonigle”]On a book
As a patch
Where’s the knight errant?
How many knight errant’s can you find?

So yes it’s hugely open to interpretation, as long as you have: a vaguely sun like shape in bright yellow, on a blue background everything is fine[/quote]

brilliant! I really wanted to see some examples just for my own private elucidation.

[quote=“McGonigle”]

and not just another person with a common image. YMMV.

“A knight-errant should not have their own heraldry.” There aren’t enough knights errants proudly bearing the colours of Dawn in my opinion, it’s a clear part of the national brief. (It’s very important to remember the first empress wore those colours.) [/quote]

Doh! Managed to get it confused in my mind with Questing Knight - schoolboy error :astonished:

Would it be cool to paint a blue backed yellow sun onto my Greaves as a kind of mural to being an Errant? Was planning on doing it as a kind of easy to remove job on my battered Greaves I just restored to a working condition Vinegar and baking soda Alchemy

Yes

McGonigle has provided excellent advice as always. The key thing to my mind is if you do something awesome on the battlefield you want a clue to any passing Earl that you are a Knight Errant and they might be able to snatch you for their House.

Though that does not preclude asking to speak with all of the Earls. Those who do not offer you a test may offer you more material aid if the approve of your actions or might suggest a house that would mesh well with your goals or might invite you on quests.

I thought if you approached an earl for a test then they had to set you a test.

If they dont want you then obviously the test will be so hard as to be impossible “Bring me a million one throne coins”, carve through this mountain using only a blade of grass, drink the seas dry (belive me I have several stored up because I dont want people to join my house)

Working out which Earl would be amenable to offering you an achievable Test of Mettle sounds like a lot of fun.

I imagine it is like proposing marriage, you really want to know the answer before you pop the question. (Particularly since I would assume that asking another Earl for a Test, when you have already been set one, would be considered bad form).

I think it depends on the relationship between the two Earls. A rival House sniping a rising star with a more glorious challenge or recognising the potential in a knight another House rejects sounds pretty on brief