Non-Prominent Armour

I’ve got my rather nifty leather bracers that hold potion bottles/vials. I’ll be investing in armour shortly, and realised that my steel bracers would not be easily discernible underneath these bracers; would the fact that people could not easily identify that I was wearing Heavy bracers underneath my apothecary bracers, along with my Heavy breastplate, be a problem?

It’s entirely allowed.

From the FAQ: “Yes, you can wear armour under costume, or even other armour. Your armour does not have to be visible.”

Silly me, I missed it in the mail comment! Much obliged~

It’s quite amusing to have hidden steel. Sometimes someone shoots you with a bow/tries to cleave your arm off, and get quite surprised when you shrug it off and paste them.

Get used to occassionally having to shout ‘Heavy Armour’ at people though.

Yes - while there’s no explicit RESIST call at Empire, it can be worth at least catching the eye and grinning like a sneaky bastard with concealed armour and a big knife.

Relatedly, remember that if you use a heroic ability (such as Cleaving Strike) and the target doesn’t take the effect, you don’t spend the hero point. This applies even if they don’t take it for legitimate reasons such as “hit concealed armour”.

When I get shot on either a concealed vambrace (which would ruin the line of my slashed doublet) or on my brigandine, I often try to catch the archers eye and tap my fist against the steel, just so they know I’m not ignoring their hit.

Especially because some of those archers have pulled off some frankly beautiful shots over the last year and they really do deserve a bit of recognition. Either I’m attracting a disproportionate number of arrows or there are some seriously good marksmen out there.

[quote=“TimB”]When I get shot on either a concealed vambrace (which would ruin the line of my slashed doublet) or on my brigandine, I often try to catch the archers eye and tap my fist against the steel, just so they know I’m not ignoring their hit.

Especially because some of those archers have pulled off some frankly beautiful shots over the last year and they really do deserve a bit of recognition. Either I’m attracting a disproportionate number of arrows or there are some seriously good marksmen out there.[/quote]

Thats a good call.
I like it because:
OOC : Its good form to let the other player know that you are playing fair.
IC : It works IC as a way to taunt the barbarian archer…

Since we’re on the topic: every so often I notice myself thinking that heavy armour bounces impales with nary a worry in the world, and remind myself that what it actually does is reduce it to a single point of damage - any weapon or implement blow, whatever call is attached, does 1 damage. I’ve yet to make the mistake when actually hit with one, but since I keep noticing myself nearly doing it I figure it’s worth reminding people when the topic comes up. :wink:

That’s very helpful extra information to include for people there Tea, I’m sure there’s been a few people who didn’t realise that on the field last Sunday! Glad to see everyone offering related tid-bits to make sure =3

While I’m posting, I seem to recall that we can only make one call at a time, but I can’t remember where I have seen it: envenomed weapons, could you call Strikedown and Weakness at the same strike?

I believe not, but can’t source that.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _of_Thorns

I would assume the same principle applies to things like, I dunno, a polearm, the Strikedown skill and the Swan’s Cruel Wing - no combining a hero point and the Cleave from the enchantment for CLEAVE STRIKEDOWN - though I can’t find anywhere that’s written down.

[quote=“MorkaisChosen”]http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Legacy_of_Thorns

I would assume the same principle applies to things like, I dunno, a polearm, the Strikedown skill and the Swan’s Cruel Wing - no combining a hero point and the Cleave from the enchantment for CLEAVE STRIKEDOWN - though I can’t find anywhere that’s written down.[/quote]

You know the bit in your quote where it says ‘only one call is made at a time’ ?

Yeah, it’s just that’s on the page about blade venoms, which would be a silly place to put a general rule about weapon damage calls. :wink:

Though the first place I should have looked when asking about combined calls from envenoming

Would make sense for the “one call per strike” rule to be put in Heroic Calls and Magic Calls too

Yup, no VENOM CLEAVE STRIKEDOWN calls :smiley:

Nah, they put the specific example and added the general rule, which is good rules writing. Now if only the general rule was available in the basic combat rules as well :slight_smile: