++Of Mods and Moderation++

Hey everyone,

Mim, PD Head of Moderation here. I wanted to take a moment to introduce (or reintroduce) myself and the mod team properly. I also want to let you know the two ways you can contact us to 1) report content or 2) send in feedback.

I took up the role of Head of Moderation in July of this year after being a mod since March. Hi! At Empire I play in the League. As Head Mod Bod I lead the team responsible for moderating and managing the content flow in PD’s online community spaces.

The Mod Team is made up of over 25 individuals covering 12 odd Facebook groups and the forum. You can see a bunch of our faces (but not all of them!) here. (I am the one in row 3, with the goofy smile and the pink quiff.) When a moderation decision is enacted, it’s usually discussed behind the scenes by the team.

All the mods are members of PD crew - and almost all are volunteers. That means individual mods don’t always have time to allocate to support a specific case or user. So if you want to contact us for any reason, PMing individual mods isn’t really the best way to go.

Instead, you can do one of two things:

• Reporting: for an in-the-moment problem with a post or thread, report a post or thread using the tools available on facebook or the forums. This will send an alert to the whole Mod Team - and a mod will then go and take a look. It’s the best and fastest way to flag an issue in real time.

• Feedback: for a more complex issue, any other mod-related query, or to discuss a decision we’ve taken, please email us on mods@profounddecisions.co.uk. This escalates your query to myself and Matt Pennington. We’ll then look at the issue again for you in more detail and in confidence.

It’s much easier for us to take your feedback on board - and cascade information to the team, where necessary - if you email it in, rather than direct messaging the individual moderator who enacted a particular decision. The same goes for reporting content. That way your message doesn’t get lost in people’s PMs - unfortunately, we may not even notice it’s there given how Facebook tends to file away messages from non-friends. We don’t want your feedback getting lost down the back of the sofa, and having a paper trail we can continually learn and grow from is really useful for us, too. So it really does help everyone if your feedback can come in via email.

We also ask that you keep things polite - mods are crew, so please treat us as you would treat a ref in the field in person (hopefully politely!). Please respect the fact that the crew are giving up their time to try and improve Empire for everyone.

Just as a reminder, all the online posting rules are here: https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Online

Cheers!

Mim

6 Likes