Old Asavean

Just something that has been bugging me with the announcement of the ambassadorial mission from Asavea. Given that Latin is the IC stand in for Old Asavean, how would one use it self referentially. For example, if using Latin to ask someone if they spoke Old Asavean then “loquerisne Latinum” would potentially seem a little jarring IC. What would people use as the correct “Latin” term for the Asavean language and how would they parse it?

Presumably it called itself ‘Asavean’ rather than ‘Old Asavean’, so lingua asavea would look to be a good start, potentially leading to “loquerisne asaveam?” or if you really must “loquerisne asaveam antiquam?”

I’m going to arbitrarily declare asavea as first declension, going like stella.

I am more interested how one would describe the dialects of modern Asavean. How would one describe IC the French and the Spanish dialects, that doesn’t have to involve using the words “French” or “Spanish”.

There isn’t any given way to do so. I remember remarking on this when the language groups were first announced. My suggestion would be to pin geographical descriptors to them which roughly line up with IRL linguistic geography (e.g. French could be Northern Asavean) which obviates the need to come up with a different name for each specific language. I’m fluent in French, but IC if I claim to have good Asavean, it is literally irrelevant if their Asavean is Italian, or Portuguese, or even Romanian!

The way I distinguish is Dante’s classification: “langues d’oïl” (French and related dialects), “langues de si” (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and their close relatives), and “langues d’oc” (Occitan and related dialects). The deciding feature is the word for “yes” in each language.
Obviously it’s not perfect, but it has the advantages that (1) it’s based on a feature of the languages rather than where they’re spoken, (2) it’s appropriate to the period, and (3) the most commonly spoken Asavean languages, represented by French and Spanish, belong to separate groups.

I’ve just referred to spanish (and thus the other Asavean languages) as “an Asavean dialect”, “one of the Asavean dialects” etc