Overcoming Roleplaying Effects

How wide a proviso is granted by priest-granted auras to overcome roleplaying effects? Does any RP effect of ‘Supernatural Source’ allow one to react to any inflicted RP effect as per the original source?

For example, whilst it seems perfectly obvious that an anointing of ‘The proof of Courage’ would allow one to resist an aura of fear, would an anointing of ‘The Cutting Edge of Vigilance’ allow one to resist such an aura?

Relevant article: profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ng_effects

Sounds to me like it would, though you’d have to resist it in a Vigilant manner.

I think the general principle is that if they contradict, you get to pick.

But if they don’t contradict, you should try and meet both.

For instance, being courageous and being constantly distracted by insect bites don’t contradict, so you can roleplay both at once.

But being vigilant and refusing to face a threat (out of fear) generally will contradict.

Affected by two conflicting effects, I would roleplay in such a way as to show that the two effects were fighting and the one that I OOC wanted to win was winning.

Surely Vigillance + Fear = Paranoia.

Depends on the wording of your effects.

If your Fear aura says “you are filled with a sense of overwhelming terror and will not do anything that might draw the attention of the Horrorfiend” and your Vigilance effect says “You feel a sense that threats must be addressed by any means. Any feelings or attitudes that may prevent you from taking action against any threat to that which you desire to protect are muted, and you find it easier to do what you feel must be done,” then you’re terrified of the Horrorfiend but you could play it with the Vigilance effect allowing you to compartmentalise that off, go “yeah this is scary but it has to be done,” draw your axe and hit it repeatedly until it dies. Hoorah! Vigilance aura saves the day.

Equally, you might have someone under the same Horrorfiend’s fear effect under a Courage hallowing. They’re gonna be fine, right? Courage helps you overcome your fear!

Well, not if their Courage hallowing is the Hallowing of the Scrivener: “You feel an urge to ensure that the words you write be the raw truth from your heart. The idea of using mealy-mouthed ‘weasel words’ is repellent to you. If you knowingly deceive whilst under this effect, the feeling changes to one of revulsion and rejection that flows from the item to you for as long as you are bonded to it.” That… kind of doesn’t help at all, does it? :wink:

What I’m getting at is that reducing down to “a Fear effect” or “a Courage effect” is profoundly unhelpful - you really need to look at the specifics of which exact roleplaying effects are in play.

[quote=“MorkaisChosen”]
Well, not if their Courage hallowing is the Hallowing of the Scrivener: “You feel an urge to ensure that the words you write be the raw truth from your heart. The idea of using mealy-mouthed ‘weasel words’ is repellent to you. If you knowingly deceive whilst under this effect, the feeling changes to one of revulsion and rejection that flows from the item to you for as long as you are bonded to it.” That… kind of doesn’t help at all, does it? :wink: [/quote]

It clearly helps you face the terror, albeit hours later when you have to replay the scene, over and over in your head to write the Epic of Sir Arthur. It might even help when you are hiding in terror, to keep gazing at said horrorfiend so you can write about it later. All this will help ensure your words will be terrifying small children and weavers for generations to come. So yeah it totally helps. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like